christian-morecraft-2.jpgTwo years to the day from his last victory, UFC heavyweight Christian Morecraft on Tuesday announced his MMA retirement.

Morecraft (7-3 MMA, 1-3 UFC), of Hyannis, Mass., exits the sport on a two-fight skid. The 26-year-old, 6-foot-6 fighter started his career 6-0 before signing with the UFC.

“Competing in the UFC is a tough job on many different levels – getting better staying focused and all the other s— that life brings to you and not to mention I still have to work a full time job to support yourself in the mean time,” Morecraft stated in a Facebook post, as reported by the Boston Herald. “There’s plenty of ‘ex professional athletes’ out there who are lost, broke and jobless when competing is over, so with that being said trying to find an easier way to make a living and most importantly be happy … I’m saying GOODBYE TO THE FIGHT BUISINESS for right now.

“Nothing’s set in stone because we all know that nothing in life is, but for now I’ve got some other matters to take care of. Thank you all for your support over the years. Thank you and god bless everyone.”

Morecraft made his UFC debut at UFC 117 and was stopped just 22 seconds into the second round by Stefan Struve in a knockout. Prior to that loss, all six of his pro fights – all in his home state of Massachusetts – had come by way of first-round stoppage, averaging 1:25 of fight time.

He rebounded from that loss with what would be his lone win in the UFC on March 26, 2011, when he submitted Sean McCorkle in Seattle. But three months later, Matt Mitrione stopped him with a walk-off second-round knockout. And six months after that, Pat Barry knocked him out at UFC on FX 1 – though he did pick up a $45,000 bonus check for the event’s “Fight of the Night,” thanks to having Barry in trouble earlier in the first round with an armbar.

But in September of this past year, Morecraft ran into trouble with an arrest for suspicion of driving while intoxicated. And without a fight booked, and apparently with reservations in recent months about continuing his fighting career, he made the decision to hang up the gloves.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

  • 2 hours ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

  • 18 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

UFC Announces Events for Croatia and Netherlands

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC on Friday announced two landmark events scheduled to take place in Europe in 2016: Croatia and The Netherlands. read news >>

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

  • 27 days ago
  • 33 views

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

  • 25 days ago
  • 3 views

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

It's on! dos Anjos/McGregor, Holm/Tate set for UFC 197

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC has announced the main and co-main events for 197 with featherweight world champion Conor McGregor against lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos and women's bantamweight champion Holly Holm versu read news >>

Eric Kelly vs. Ev Ting headlines ONE Championship 37 on Jan. 29

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

ONE Championship has announced the lineup for its second event of the new year.Filed under: News read news >>

Erick Silva vs. Nordine Taleb joins recently announced UFC 197 lineup

  • 24 days ago
  • 7 views

March’s UFC 197 lineup, which already features a championship doubleheader, is shaping up to be a good one.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Champ Jedrzejczyk, Gadelha announced as 'TUF 23' coaches, rematch on July 8

  • 19 days ago
  • 5 views

For just the second time in the history of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series female coaches will take the helm for two teams of up-and-coming fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>