UFC champ Jose Aldo fires back, asks Dana White to book Anthony Pettis fight


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

jose-aldo-28.jpgUFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) doesn’t appreciate the suggestion that he might be afraid of fighting new lightweight kingpin Anthony Pettis (17-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC). In fact, Aldo said he’s not even afraid of fighting heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez.

“Going out and brawling is a pleasure for me, regardless of who I’m facing, no matter the weight division,” Aldo told Brazilian outlet Combate in his native Portuguese. “Schedule me to face Cain and you’ll see that there will be a brawl, regardless of the weight.”

Aldo’s comments are a result of UFC President Dana White’s recent claims that the featherweight champ’s manager, Andre Pederneiras, was making his client look “afraid of Anthony Pettis” by suggesting “Showtime” should drop his newly minted belt if he wants to schedule a champion vs. champion fight.

The two, of course, were supposed to fight for Aldo’s belt at August’s UFC 163 event before a knee injury forced Pettis to withdraw and instead take a UFC 164 fight with then-lightweight-champ Benson Henderson. Like he did when the two met for the WEC belt, Pettis earned a victory and walked away with the title.

After the win, Pettis called out Aldo, saying the two had “unfinished business,” which prompted Pederneiras to take to Twitter and offer up a few requests.

Aldo doesn’t seem to echo the same sentiments, and appears to want the bout re-booked ASAP, with White figuring out what works best.

“The only things I fear in this life are God and not having food to eat,” Aldo said. “If a heavyweight wanted to fight me on the streets, would I ask him what his weight was? No. So you can schedule this s—, and let’s stop this ‘blah, blah, blah.’

“This is the fight we want to watch. Let’s make it happen, Dana.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 16 days ago
  • 45 views

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 17 days ago
  • 26 views

At the UFC 175 post-fight press conference, focus had already shifted from Chris Weidman’s impressive title defense against Lyoto Machida to whom Weidman will fight next. more

  • 16 days ago
  • 29 views

It looks like "Money's" much-desired rematch against the featherweight champion is still on track... just at a later date. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was forced to withdraw from his upcoming rematch against Chad Mendes, which was supposed to go down at UFC 176 on Aug., 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, Calif., after suffering a neck injury in training. Read the initial report here. But not all hope is lost for Mendes and fight fans alike, as UFC President Dana Whi more

  • 11 days ago
  • 31 views

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has heard Chad Mendes’ comments, and he’s not pleased.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 14 days ago
  • 19 views

UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and won't be able to defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 176. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight on Fox Sports 1 that UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo is injured and his UFC 176 headliner against Chad Mendes is cancelled. This is terrible news for Jose Aldo fans who have had to endure cancelled fight after long injury induced layoffs between rare opportunites to see their man in the Octagon. Since becoming the UFC Featherwei more

  • 8 days ago
  • 33 views

During a Monday appearance on the Sherdog Radio Network’s ”Beatdown” show, Chad Mendes weighed in on what he really thought caused UFC 176 to be postponed. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 85 views

Move over Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, your reality show brethren could be close to joining you. If Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White has his way (and he usually does), combat sports reality show veteran Jason Thacker could soon become a UFC hall of famer. Wait ... who? "Strange Brew" has a professional mixed martial arts (MMA) record of 0-1, thanks to a technical knockout loss to Chris Leben in the 2005 finale of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 1. It's kind of surprisi more

  • 29 days ago
  • 77 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White is on location in Hong Kong, China, to promote the upcoming UFC Fight Night 48: "Bisping vs. Le" event on Aug. 23, 2014 in Macau (see Bisping and Le staredown here). White spent a few minutes with MMA Asia to discuss Hector Lombard's injury, the release of Brandon Vera, a potential Octagon return for Nick Diaz and much more. Check it out in the video above and for more on UFC Fight Night 48 click here. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 50 views

Metamoris and UFC Fight Pass could be a match made in combat sports heaven. Metamoris, an all-submission jiu-jitsu combat tournament, has quickly become the destination for all talented submission specialists to show off their skills. No disrespect to Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC), of course. Still, Metamoris has drawn the interest of even some well-known and established mixed martial arts (MMA) veterans, namely, current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweights Brendan Schaub and Josh Ba more