UFC champ Jones wants fight with Gustafsson, eyes spot on future FOX card

If he gets by Chael Sonnen in Saturday’s UFC 159 headliner, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has two goals: a fight with Alexander Gustafsson and a spot on a future UFC on FOX card.

As a heavy favorite over Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC), whom he meets in Saturday’s pay-per-view headliner at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) has fielded numerous questions about what’s next.

When asked about potential opponents in the division, he quickly mentioned one name: Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC).

“Gustafsson for sure,” Jones said. “That’s somebody I want to fight.”

Gustafsson first mentioned the idea first as part of the above video.

“I don’t call people out,” Jones said. “He called me out first by making that ‘Harlem Shake’ video. He was like, ‘Jones is next.’ I was like, ‘Alright, if you really want me to be next, I’ll desire that fight.’”

Jones said he’s anxious to fight a guy with a similar build, height and reach. After all, he said, many fans are quick to criticize him and said his recent dominance is aided greatly by his long frame. But more importantly and unlike Sonnen, Jones appreciates that Gustafsson has been a professional while campaigning for the title fight.

“He’s a guy who has respect,” Jones said. “He’s a new guy to fight. It’s a champion vs. a young guy who’s ambitious. That’s a threat, always a threat, because he’s going to want it bad.”

And while such a matchup likely would headline a major PPV event, Jones said he’d like to fight on a UFC on FOX card at some point. He said he’s currently one of the UFC’s top 5 PPV draws, but he’d like to fight on network TV and be exposed to some new fans.

So don’t be surprised if he pulls aside UFC President Dana White for a discussion.

“I would love to be on a FOX card,” he said. “I would absolutely love to be on a FOX card. I would have to figure out how I would work that out with Dana (since I would) not be getting any of the pay-per-view (revenue) and stuff like that, but you do it because it’s a job too.

“But I would absolutely be honored to [be exposed] to a different demographic. A lot of people can’t afford to be spending $60 for entertainment like that, and I’m aware of that. I’d love to fight for people like that. I’d be honored.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

• a day ago

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is bringing its brand of mixed martial arts (MMA) back to the "Grand Canyon State" for UFC on FOX 13, headlined by a heavyweight contender match pitting ex-divisi read news >>

• 6 hours ago

Lookout for the little guys ... UFC on FOX 13, which will emanate from U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix, Ariz., on Dec. 13, 2014, is, literally, a top-heavy mixed martial arts (MMA) event with three ma read news >>

Benson Henderson had proven to be a reliable drawing card for UFC on both FOX, and most recently, FS 1. But just as his success in the lightweight ranks ran into a brick wall like fist of Rafael dos read news >>

A look at next Friday's Fox Sports 1 card from Ledyard, CT, where Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi compete in the night's main event. Now that UFC 177 is behind us, we can feast our eyes at what shou read news >>

A lot of solid fighters permeate the undercard this time around with names like Al Iaquinta, Chas Skelly, Chris Beal, and Rodrigo Damm. Expect very little complaints now that we can look beyond UFC 1 read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is making some last minute changes to its upcoming UFC Fight Night 50: "Jacare vs. Mousasi" fight card and line up, set for this Friday night (Sept. 5, 2014) insi read news >>

Pro-Wrestling legend Jim Ross and former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen pair up to announce the upcoming Battleground MMA PPV in October. After expressing a keen interest in announcing an MMA even read news >>

LEDYARD, Conn. – The UFC has done an 11th-hour mild change to its lineup for tonight’s UFC Fight Night 50 card in Connecticut.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Retired two-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen may be done inside the Octagon, but that doesn't mean his passion for combat sports has completely faded. On Thursday, The American Gangster tweeted read news >>