UFC champ Jones wants fight with Gustafsson, eyes spot on future FOX card

If he gets by Chael Sonnen in Saturday’s UFC 159 headliner, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has two goals: a fight with Alexander Gustafsson and a spot on a future UFC on FOX card.

As a heavy favorite over Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC), whom he meets in Saturday’s pay-per-view headliner at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) has fielded numerous questions about what’s next.

When asked about potential opponents in the division, he quickly mentioned one name: Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC).

“Gustafsson for sure,” Jones said. “That’s somebody I want to fight.”

Gustafsson first mentioned the idea first as part of the above video.

“I don’t call people out,” Jones said. “He called me out first by making that ‘Harlem Shake’ video. He was like, ‘Jones is next.’ I was like, ‘Alright, if you really want me to be next, I’ll desire that fight.’”

Jones said he’s anxious to fight a guy with a similar build, height and reach. After all, he said, many fans are quick to criticize him and said his recent dominance is aided greatly by his long frame. But more importantly and unlike Sonnen, Jones appreciates that Gustafsson has been a professional while campaigning for the title fight.

“He’s a guy who has respect,” Jones said. “He’s a new guy to fight. It’s a champion vs. a young guy who’s ambitious. That’s a threat, always a threat, because he’s going to want it bad.”

And while such a matchup likely would headline a major PPV event, Jones said he’d like to fight on a UFC on FOX card at some point. He said he’s currently one of the UFC’s top 5 PPV draws, but he’d like to fight on network TV and be exposed to some new fans.

So don’t be surprised if he pulls aside UFC President Dana White for a discussion.

“I would love to be on a FOX card,” he said. “I would absolutely love to be on a FOX card. I would have to figure out how I would work that out with Dana (since I would) not be getting any of the pay-per-view (revenue) and stuff like that, but you do it because it’s a job too.

“But I would absolutely be honored to [be exposed] to a different demographic. A lot of people can’t afford to be spending $60 for entertainment like that, and I’m aware of that. I’d love to fight for people like that. I’d be honored.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC vets Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort will appear today before the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and the UFC streams the hearing via UFC Fight Pass beginning at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT).Filed und read news >>

Today's (Weds., July 23, 2014) live hearing gets underway at 1 p.m. ET. Time to face the music. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will stream today's (July 23, 2014) live hearing featuring Nevada read news >>

A grocery list of solid matchups for the Lawler vs. Brown undercard ensure that the UFC will likely deliver another fine performance for fans after their last two successes. These cards lately have b read news >>

Pivotal lightweight ranking will be on the line when Josh Thomson meets Bobby Green at UFC on FOX 12 this weekend (Sat., July 26, 2014) from San Jose, California. Will the well-traveled "Punk" inch c read news >>

Finally finding a home at light heavyweight, Anthony Johnson will seek his eighth straight win against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the co-main event of this weekend's (Sat., July 26, 2014) UFC on FOX read news >>

Even if UFC on Fox 12 only featured the "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler vs. "The Immortal" Matt Brown bout, there would be a good number of viewers tuning in to what figures to be an action-packed clash bet read news >>

Count on all three of Saturday's Fight Night bonuses coming from the main card at UFC on Fox 12. That's no slight to the solid lineup of preliminary bouts, but there seems to be a few can't-miss perf read news >>

UFC on Fox 12 is set for Saturday, July 26. The show begins at 4:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass, while the main card gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Fox. The event is headlined by a welterweight confrontatio read news >>

MMA Fighting has UFC on FOX 12 results for the Lawler vs. Brown fight card July 26, plus live coverage from San Jose, live blogs of the main card, and live UFC on FOX 12 twitter updates.In the main e read news >>