UFC champ Jones wants fight with Gustafsson, eyes spot on future FOX card

If he gets by Chael Sonnen in Saturday’s UFC 159 headliner, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has two goals: a fight with Alexander Gustafsson and a spot on a future UFC on FOX card.

As a heavy favorite over Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC), whom he meets in Saturday’s pay-per-view headliner at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) has fielded numerous questions about what’s next.

When asked about potential opponents in the division, he quickly mentioned one name: Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC).

“Gustafsson for sure,” Jones said. “That’s somebody I want to fight.”

Gustafsson first mentioned the idea first as part of the above video.

“I don’t call people out,” Jones said. “He called me out first by making that ‘Harlem Shake’ video. He was like, ‘Jones is next.’ I was like, ‘Alright, if you really want me to be next, I’ll desire that fight.’”

Jones said he’s anxious to fight a guy with a similar build, height and reach. After all, he said, many fans are quick to criticize him and said his recent dominance is aided greatly by his long frame. But more importantly and unlike Sonnen, Jones appreciates that Gustafsson has been a professional while campaigning for the title fight.

“He’s a guy who has respect,” Jones said. “He’s a new guy to fight. It’s a champion vs. a young guy who’s ambitious. That’s a threat, always a threat, because he’s going to want it bad.”

And while such a matchup likely would headline a major PPV event, Jones said he’d like to fight on a UFC on FOX card at some point. He said he’s currently one of the UFC’s top 5 PPV draws, but he’d like to fight on network TV and be exposed to some new fans.

So don’t be surprised if he pulls aside UFC President Dana White for a discussion.

“I would love to be on a FOX card,” he said. “I would absolutely love to be on a FOX card. I would have to figure out how I would work that out with Dana (since I would) not be getting any of the pay-per-view (revenue) and stuff like that, but you do it because it’s a job too.

“But I would absolutely be honored to [be exposed] to a different demographic. A lot of people can’t afford to be spending $60 for entertainment like that, and I’m aware of that. I’d love to fight for people like that. I’d be honored.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Following his win this past weekend in UFC Fight Night 57, Frankie Edgar said he deserves the next shot at featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Now, he’s pushing a proposed date, too.Filed under: News, read news >>

A look at the finalized UFC on Fox 13 card set for Phoenix, Arizona on December 13th. The main event features heavyweight contenders Junior dos Santos and Stipe Miocic. It's hard to believe, but Juni read news >>

The fight card for UFC on Fox 14 has received a featherweight tilt pitting Mirsad Bektic against Alan Omer. read news >>

ESPN MMA analyst and former UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen spoke to MMAmania.com about CM Punk signing with UFC. He said it would "make no sense to give him a bottom-tier guy" as his first opponent an read news >>

We are in the midst of a UFC deluge, with fight cards seemingly every weekend. It is hard to tell them apart. But on Saturday night, the promotion returns to network television with a slew of intrigu read news >>

UFC on Fox 13 from Phoenix, Arizona is just 4 days away. See who is competing on this Saturday's show. If you caught any of the NFL on Fox action yesterday, you may have heard play-by-play announcers read news >>

Alistair Overeem and Stefan Struve look to reinvigorate their UFC careers this Saturday (Dec. 13, 2014) at UFC on FOX 13 inside the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona. With such physical differenc read news >>

False starts, new beginnings and redemption stories. Not every UFC card can claim the kinds of easy narratives afforded by the veterans, ex-champions and misfit toys of the sport. But UFC on Fox 13 c read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos and Nate Diaz look to earn a potential title shot this Saturday (Dec. 13, 2014) at UFC on FOX 13 inside the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona. With so much on the line, what adju read news >>