UFC champ Jones wants fight with Gustafsson, eyes spot on future FOX card

If he gets by Chael Sonnen in Saturday’s UFC 159 headliner, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has two goals: a fight with Alexander Gustafsson and a spot on a future UFC on FOX card.

As a heavy favorite over Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC), whom he meets in Saturday’s pay-per-view headliner at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) has fielded numerous questions about what’s next.

When asked about potential opponents in the division, he quickly mentioned one name: Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC).

“Gustafsson for sure,” Jones said. “That’s somebody I want to fight.”

Gustafsson first mentioned the idea first as part of the above video.

“I don’t call people out,” Jones said. “He called me out first by making that ‘Harlem Shake’ video. He was like, ‘Jones is next.’ I was like, ‘Alright, if you really want me to be next, I’ll desire that fight.’”

Jones said he’s anxious to fight a guy with a similar build, height and reach. After all, he said, many fans are quick to criticize him and said his recent dominance is aided greatly by his long frame. But more importantly and unlike Sonnen, Jones appreciates that Gustafsson has been a professional while campaigning for the title fight.

“He’s a guy who has respect,” Jones said. “He’s a new guy to fight. It’s a champion vs. a young guy who’s ambitious. That’s a threat, always a threat, because he’s going to want it bad.”

And while such a matchup likely would headline a major PPV event, Jones said he’d like to fight on a UFC on FOX card at some point. He said he’s currently one of the UFC’s top 5 PPV draws, but he’d like to fight on network TV and be exposed to some new fans.

So don’t be surprised if he pulls aside UFC President Dana White for a discussion.

“I would love to be on a FOX card,” he said. “I would absolutely love to be on a FOX card. I would have to figure out how I would work that out with Dana (since I would) not be getting any of the pay-per-view (revenue) and stuff like that, but you do it because it’s a job too.

“But I would absolutely be honored to [be exposed] to a different demographic. A lot of people can’t afford to be spending $60 for entertainment like that, and I’m aware of that. I’d love to fight for people like that. I’d be honored.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

From Around the Web

UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson might be a serious threat to champion Jon Jones, but Chael Sonnen doesn’t see a new titleholder on the horizon any time soon. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Takeya Mizugaki replaces an injured Manny Gamburyan and will now face Aljamain Sterling at UFC on FOX 15 on April 18, 2015, according to UFC officials Tuesday.Mizugaki (20-8-2) has won four of his fi read news >>

While former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight title contender Chael Sonnen is still banned from the Octagon, he might just be poised to start appearing in the squared circle. Speaking on Off th read news >>

A look at the Saturday, February 14th UFC Fight Night on Fox Sports 1 in Broomfield, Colorado. The main event features Ben Henderson moving up to welterweight to take on Brandon Thatch. The original read news >>

Chael Sonnen knows a thing or two about UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, since both coached The Ultimate Fighter 17 together and fought at UFC 159. Now, Sonnen weighed in on the chances of " read news >>

Because "The Mauler" has been through hell and back trying to get a rematch against Jon Jones, and "Rumble" can sympathize with that. Just because Anthony Johnson is a 205-pound wrecking machine with read news >>

Outside of Anthony Johnson, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has pretty much cleaned out his division, and to date, no one has been able to solve the "Bones" read news >>

The UFC on FOX card in Newark, New Jersey now has a co-main event, as top middleweight contenders Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Yoel Romero square off on April 18 at Prudential Center. read news >>

With his victory over Cole Miller at UFC Fight Night 60 on Saturday night, Max Holloway couldn't leave the area before he already had his next fight booked. read news >>