jon-jones-52.jpgUFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will move to heavyweight, but he might not do it as soon as expected.

“Oh, eventually,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday. “I’m getting older, I’m growing, and I’m getting stronger. Why not? Yeah, for sure.”

Jones was responding to a question of whether his plans had changed given his previous statements about a move upward. His dominance of the light heavyweight division has prompted questions about a move up to heavyweight, and the 26-year-old and his camp have spoken several times about the possibility.

In January, he said it could happen as soon as 2014.

“I think heavyweight is going to come along around 2014 – maybe even late this year,” Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) said. “Who knows. It’ll definitely be a fight for the fans.”

Three months later, he said he planned to target superfights and heavyweight fights after breaking UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz‘s record of five successful UFC light-heavyweight title defenses.

Jones, however, was a lot more tentative at a pair of press conferences this week in Los Angeles and New York as part of the UFC’s current “World Tour” promoting its fall and winter pay-per-view schedule.

“Look at this guy next to me?” he said, turning to UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, who was hyping his upcoming rubber match with ex-champ Junior dos Santos at UFC 166. “Would you guys fight him? I don’t know, guys. I don’t know.”

But really, he just didn’t want to come off like a jerk.

“I just said that because Cain’s next to me,” Jones said with a smile. “I didn’t want it to be awkward.”

Jones is next scheduled to defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 in Toronto.

If Jones is able to break Ortiz’s record at the pay-per-view event, it would appear to be a perfect segue into the big-man division. UFC President Dana White said challenges remain before the fighter can be considered to have cleared out the division. But he said he would like to see Jones eventually take on a new challenge.

“If he gets to the point in his career when he wants to move up to heavyweight, I mean, what he accomplished in the first year and a half as a light heavyweight was incredibly impressive,” he said. “The fact that he can move up – I’ve been waiting for Anderson Silva to move up to 205, but he never wanted to do it. I’d like to see it.”

Whether he’s just being nice or seriously considering the idea of lingering longer at light heavyweight, Jones did express interest in one hot prospect in the division: Glover Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who’s won four straight to put himself in the conversation for a title shot.

“He’s a guy on my radar, and that’s a fight that I want,” Jones said.

So there might be more work to do, after all.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

From Around the Web

Drug Test? Injury? Chael Sonnen says UFC 187's Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson 'won't happen, mark my words'

Chael Sonnen gave interesting answers about Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson and Anderson Silva's failed drug test Chael Sonnen was on Reddit for one of their 'Ask Me Anything' sessions, and the former read news >>

How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier respond to Bader, Jedi Pokemons

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to f read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson hits harder than Jon Jones

Swedish light heavyweight star Alexander Gustafsson's opinion of the UFC 187 matchup between UFC champion Jon Jones and challenger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson carries more weight than most. Gustafsson, read news >>

Watch: Jon Jones and Holly Holm Throw Some Spinning Kicks

If every opponent were a bag of sand, MMA would be more fun. Get on it, Dana. Because if every opponent were a bag of sand, you'd regularly get displays like this one, in which UFC light heavyweight read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68: Ryan Bader wants Jon Jones rematch with knockout win over Daniel Cormier

Ryan Bader looks to earn himself a rematch against Jon Jones to prove he's a better fighter than in their initial meeting. And he plans on earning that fight by knocking out Daniel Cormier at UFC Fig read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson on UFC 187 main event: Anthony Johnson hits harder but Jon Jones will win the fight

Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson suggests that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Jon Jones, but expects the defending champ to retain the title. read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Daniel Cormier might lose his s--t around Jon Jones

"There is no relationship between Jon and I. He won. He won on January 3, but that's pretty much all that happened. Nothing changed. Nothing will change and we will fight again. We'll make sure the r read news >>

Morning Report: Daniel Cormier says he can't promise he wouldn't 'lose his s**t' if he ran into Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier might be getting over the loss, but he's certainly not done with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Jones scored a unanimous decision victory over Cormier in the main event at U read news >>

UFC 187: Alexander Gustafsson says Anthony Johnson punches harder, but Jon Jones wins the fight

It looks like "Rumble's" punching power won't be enough to dethrone "Bones," according to "The Mauler." When looking at the most powerful punchers in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), Anthony Johnson read news >>