jon-jones-52.jpgUFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will move to heavyweight, but he might not do it as soon as expected.

“Oh, eventually,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday. “I’m getting older, I’m growing, and I’m getting stronger. Why not? Yeah, for sure.”

Jones was responding to a question of whether his plans had changed given his previous statements about a move upward. His dominance of the light heavyweight division has prompted questions about a move up to heavyweight, and the 26-year-old and his camp have spoken several times about the possibility.

In January, he said it could happen as soon as 2014.

“I think heavyweight is going to come along around 2014 – maybe even late this year,” Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) said. “Who knows. It’ll definitely be a fight for the fans.”

Three months later, he said he planned to target superfights and heavyweight fights after breaking UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz‘s record of five successful UFC light-heavyweight title defenses.

Jones, however, was a lot more tentative at a pair of press conferences this week in Los Angeles and New York as part of the UFC’s current “World Tour” promoting its fall and winter pay-per-view schedule.

“Look at this guy next to me?” he said, turning to UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, who was hyping his upcoming rubber match with ex-champ Junior dos Santos at UFC 166. “Would you guys fight him? I don’t know, guys. I don’t know.”

But really, he just didn’t want to come off like a jerk.

“I just said that because Cain’s next to me,” Jones said with a smile. “I didn’t want it to be awkward.”

Jones is next scheduled to defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 in Toronto.

If Jones is able to break Ortiz’s record at the pay-per-view event, it would appear to be a perfect segue into the big-man division. UFC President Dana White said challenges remain before the fighter can be considered to have cleared out the division. But he said he would like to see Jones eventually take on a new challenge.

“If he gets to the point in his career when he wants to move up to heavyweight, I mean, what he accomplished in the first year and a half as a light heavyweight was incredibly impressive,” he said. “The fact that he can move up – I’ve been waiting for Anderson Silva to move up to 205, but he never wanted to do it. I’d like to see it.”

Whether he’s just being nice or seriously considering the idea of lingering longer at light heavyweight, Jones did express interest in one hot prospect in the division: Glover Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who’s won four straight to put himself in the conversation for a title shot.

“He’s a guy on my radar, and that’s a fight that I want,” Jones said.

So there might be more work to do, after all.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Video of Jon Jones Training at the New Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA Gym Surfaces

It's been tough to find Jon Jones over recent months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champion popped up on social media on Wednesday during a YouTube video posted by lightweight contender Donal read news >>

Chris Weidman knows 'for a fact' that he's going to fight Jon Jones someday

Jon Jones may not have a return date to the UFC scheduled yet, but he's already got one fighter looking to welcome him back. And surprisingly it's MW champ Chris Weidman. read news >>

Fact! Chris Weidman isn't leaving MMA without fighting Jon Jones

Of course, that's assuming "Bones" ever fights again. Never accuse Chris Weidman of avoiding tough challenges. That's the reason Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Middleweight champion is adaman read news >>

Chris Weidman: ‘I know for a fact, I’m not leaving this sport without fighting’ Jon Jones

Jon Jones may be persona non grata in UFC circles right now, but Chris Weidman hasn't forgotten about the former pound-for-pound king. "I know for a fact, I'm not leaving this sport without fighting read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes light heavyweight move, desires Jon Jones superfight

Don't look now, "The All-American" middleweight champion is planning a move up to the light heavyweight division. Chris Weidman can troll ... let's face it. However, there are no doubts behind Weidma read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes eventual light heavyweight move, 'dream matchup' with Jon Jones

In a Q&A session on the New York Mets official Twitter account, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman told fans of his desire to move up a weight class. On Friday, UFC middleweight champion Chris W read news >>

Chris Weidman planning eventual move to 205, wants dream matchup with Jon Jones

Chris Weidman has his next assignment at middleweight. The date is set. But that doesn’t mean he’s not thinking long-term.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown thinks Jon Jones would win the UFC heavyweight title

UFC welterweight slugger Matt Brown doesn't think any fighter has what it takes to beat Jon Jones. Jon Jones may be absent from the Octagon and social media but he's certainly not been missing from t read news >>

Matt Brown: No one has a chance against Jon Jones at light heavyweight ... or even at heavyweight

I'm sure a few big men might take exception to this bold statement .... Matt Brown has a very high opinion of former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion, Jon Jones. In fac read news >>

How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Don't be a DNB, Replies to Punk vs Pendred Beef

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to f read news >>