UFC champ Jon Jones delays heavyweight move, says Teixeira bout is 'interesting'

• submit to reddit

jon-jones-52.jpgUFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will move to heavyweight, but he might not do it as soon as expected.

“Oh, eventually,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday. “I’m getting older, I’m growing, and I’m getting stronger. Why not? Yeah, for sure.”

Jones was responding to a question of whether his plans had changed given his previous statements about a move upward. His dominance of the light heavyweight division has prompted questions about a move up to heavyweight, and the 26-year-old and his camp have spoken several times about the possibility.

In January, he said it could happen as soon as 2014.

“I think heavyweight is going to come along around 2014 – maybe even late this year,” Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) said. “Who knows. It’ll definitely be a fight for the fans.”

Three months later, he said he planned to target superfights and heavyweight fights after breaking UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz‘s record of five successful UFC light-heavyweight title defenses.

Jones, however, was a lot more tentative at a pair of press conferences this week in Los Angeles and New York as part of the UFC’s current “World Tour” promoting its fall and winter pay-per-view schedule.

“Look at this guy next to me?” he said, turning to UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, who was hyping his upcoming rubber match with ex-champ Junior dos Santos at UFC 166. “Would you guys fight him? I don’t know, guys. I don’t know.”

But really, he just didn’t want to come off like a jerk.

“I just said that because Cain’s next to me,” Jones said with a smile. “I didn’t want it to be awkward.”

Jones is next scheduled to defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 in Toronto.

If Jones is able to break Ortiz’s record at the pay-per-view event, it would appear to be a perfect segue into the big-man division. UFC President Dana White said challenges remain before the fighter can be considered to have cleared out the division. But he said he would like to see Jones eventually take on a new challenge.

“If he gets to the point in his career when he wants to move up to heavyweight, I mean, what he accomplished in the first year and a half as a light heavyweight was incredibly impressive,” he said. “The fact that he can move up – I’ve been waiting for Anderson Silva to move up to 205, but he never wanted to do it. I’d like to see it.”

Whether he’s just being nice or seriously considering the idea of lingering longer at light heavyweight, Jones did express interest in one hot prospect in the division: Glover Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who’s won four straight to put himself in the conversation for a title shot.

“He’s a guy on my radar, and that’s a fight that I want,” Jones said.

So there might be more work to do, after all.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

With friends like these...
I know what some of you are thinking: Who cares what a WWE wrestler and Hollywood actor thinks?
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), apparently, as the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion recently put "Hercules" on the cover of its latest magazine, along with an excerpt about his relationship with several prominent fighters (and one surprise prediction).
From UFC.com: "I always have my eyes on the champions, specifically the heavyweight and light heavyw more

In a case of life imitating a Mania thread, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones sent his new challenger, Daniel Cormier, a direct message on Twitter.
As the saying goes, we live in interesting times. Times when mixed martial arts (MMA) champions send small bursts of texts straight to their replacement opponents.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones went with the new times, while replacement challenger Daniel Cormier -- who tonight was anointed the next N more

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. more

The UFC announced today that the rematch between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and No. 1 contender Alexander Gustafsson will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. more

UFC light heavyweight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira knows any time he signs a bout agreement, as he did for this weekend’s UFC on FOX 12 event, there are going to be doubts about his ability to make it through training camp and show up on fight night. Filed under: News, UFC more

• 2 hours ago

An intriguing light heavyweight fight could be headed to the Octagon in Fall 2014, as Glover Teixeira and Phil Davis have reportedly verbally committed to go toe-to-toe. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is looking to shake up the Light Heavyweight landscape with a potential 205-pound showdown later this fall season, pitting former division No. 1-ranked contender Glover Teixeira against wrestling powerhouse Phil Davis.
That's according to a report from Combate.com (via Lowkick MMA), which rev more

"The Hammer" is headed back to the toolbox ... this time for good.
Matt Hamill's retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) ... take two.
The longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran, who cut his teeth on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) and gave Michael Bisping his first big rivalry, is calling it quits after a nagging injury has prevented him from getting back inside the cage.
From his official Facebook page: "First and foremost, I would like to thank my most loyal fans fo more

Undefeated UFC light heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier has offered extremely high praise for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman heading into his UFC 175 showdown with Lyoto Machida. In a promo on Fox Sports for UFC 175, which airs live on pay-per-view from Las Vegas on Saturday, "DC" states outright that Weidman is the best middleweight around and could be considered the best at 205 pounds. Here's the transcription, per MixedMartialArts.com: To be the man, you have to beat the man. Weidm more