UFC champ Georges St-Pierre lands role in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

georges-st-pierre-24.jpgWith his knee healed and two recent title defenses under his belt, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is keeping a busy schedule.

That’s true both in and out of the cage; the longtime titleholder has accepted the role of Batroc The Leaper in the upcoming film “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” Latino Review first reported the news on Monday.

The film, which is based on a Marvel Comic and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, hits theaters in April 2014. Filming begins in about a month, though it’s not expected to keep St-Pierre on the sidelines for an extended time.

The movie is a sequel to the 2011 hit “Captain America: The First Avenger,” which grossed $369 million worldwide. In addition to St-Pierre, the sequel stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson and others.

The 31-year-old St-Pierre is no stranger to the big screen. The French-Canadian had small roles in straight-to-video films such as “Death Warrior” and “Never Surrender,” but this latest role is his first true mainstream part. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported this past November, St-Pierre is represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA), which has helped the fighter gain the type of mainstream opportunities that once were rare in the MMA industry.

St-Pierre’s character in “Captain America,” Batroc The Leaper, first appeared in comic books in 1966. The mercenary is a master of savate, a French form of kickboxing.

St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC), who’s currently on vacation following his UFC 158 win over Nick Diaz earlier this month, is next scheduled to fight top contender Johny Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC). However, a date hasn’t been set for their title fight.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 65 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Johny Hendricks believes his win over Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 was actually his first title defense, because "Bigg Rigg" insists he beat Georges St. Pierre at UFC 167. more

  • 27 days ago
  • 41 views

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.
St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile: MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter. It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for more

  • 26 days ago
  • 6909 views

"Rush" left on a high note -- 12 straight wins -- a remarkable achievement that has his former nemesis a bit jealous.
After defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title for a division-record ninth consecutive time against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013, Georges St-Pierre announced that he would relinquish his title and take an indefinite leave of absence from mixed martial arts (MMA).
Because according to the former champion, the pressure and his battle with obs more

  • 25 days ago
  • 107 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent.
"The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more

  • 25 days ago
  • 190 views

Matt Hughes, who now works as a VP of Athlete Development for the UFC, thinks Georges St-Pierre should just hang up the gloves for good.
Georges St-Pierre is still undecided whether he would eventually come back from his extended layoff or not, but a fellow long time UFC welterweight champion had some friendly advice for him. Matt Hughes spoke about St-Pierre, and despite now holding a VP job with the UFC, he thinks one of the promotion's biggest stars should just 'get out' and hang it up for go more

  • 17 days ago
  • 24 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre hasn’t yet committed to returning to active competition in MMA, but if he does indeed stage a comeback, he hopes to face stiffer drug testing on his return.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 14 days ago
  • 65 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke with Inside MMA about possibly returning to fighting and his recovery from knee surgery. more

  • 5 days ago
  • 29 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo is not medically cleared to train yet, and the possibility of creating an interim title won’t make him rush back to the Octagon.
UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta admitted earlier this month that the promotion could create an interim title if the featherweight champion from Nova Uniao couldn’t return to the Octagon by October.
"No chance at all," Aldo’s coach and manager Andre Pederneiras said of the possibility of rushing his rehab to avoid an interim title.
"He’s alread more

  • 28 days ago
  • 36 views

According to Reebok executive John Lynch, the company wanted to partner with an athlete “who had explosive speed, and bold, confident style.” Enter Anthony Pettis.Filed under: News, UFC more