UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: Lightweight move likely easier than middleweight

• submit to reddit

georges-st-pierre-40.jpgFor years, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has teased the idea of moving up to 185 pounds. While he’s not ruling out such a change, he believes a cut to lightweight would be much easier.

“I don’t do much cutting,” St-Pierre said on Tuesday’s new edition of “The Joe Rogan Experience.” “It would be easier for me to go fight at 155 than fighting at 185. I would be more at my weight naturally at 155.

“There’s guys at 155 that walk around at 190 like me. They think I’m big because I have a large frame, but I’m not a big guy. I’m not thick.”

St-Pierre was on Rogan’s show to promote the Tuesday release of his autobiography, “The Way of the Fight.” But the 70-minute discussion touched on a number of topics, including St-Pierre’s fighting future.

The welterweight champ recently defended his title against Nick Diaz, and many fans and pundits alike have suggested now is the time to book a long-discussed superfight with middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva. But as he has suggested many times before, St-Pierre again pointed out fighting at 185 pounds isn’t necessarily an ideal move.

“Anderson Silva is very big,” St-Pierre said. “He’s 230 pounds. He’s a very big guy walking around, and I’m 190 pounds. It’s a lot of weight difference. If this fight happens one day, we’re going to have to decide what weight class and everything.”

It’s often been suggested that St-Pierre and Silva could meet at a catchweight, but UFC President Dana White has generally said he would prefer the fight take place at either 170 pounds or 185 pounds to ensure a championship belt is on the line.

Silva has in the past competed as low as 168 pounds, but that was nearly 12 years ago. Still, “The Spider” has sometimes hinted that he could drop all the way down to welterweight. If he can pull it off, St-Pierre said he’d be happy to accept the fight.

“If he can make 170, he can weigh 170, I can weigh 170, and everything is fine,” St-Pierre said.

And so the long-discussed superfight still seems to have a few hurdles before it can become a reality. In the meantime, of course, Silva still needs to beat Chris Weidman at this summer’s UFC 162 event. And at welterweight, top contender Johny Hendricks is itching for his shot at St-Pierre. White said he has yet to ask the French-Canadian champ what he’d prefer to do next, but St-Pierre seems to be leaning toward staying at 170 pounds for the time being.

“We’ll see,” St-Pierre said. “Anderson is fighting Weidman. Hendricks is freaking out. He wants to fight me. We’ll see what’s going to happen in the future – probably Hendricks.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Georges St-Pierre)

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.
St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile: MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter. It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre hasn’t yet committed to returning to active competition in MMA, but if he does indeed stage a comeback, he hopes to face stiffer drug testing on his return.Filed under: News, UFC more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke with Inside MMA about possibly returning to fighting and his recovery from knee surgery. more

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent.
"The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks can point to one reason why he thinks a rematch with now-retired titleholder Georges St-Pierre is in the future.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

Former UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre receiving Tecar Therapy from Dr. Kindy Parmar under Dr. William Kessler's care. The Winback machine seen in the video is housed at Kessler Family Wellness in Southern California, and is courtesy of former UFC heavyweight, and current Bellator star, Cheick Kongo. more

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks cleared to begin training and is looking forward to working his way through the contenders in the division. With his time on the sidelines close to running out, Johny Hendricks is looking forward to getting back into the octagon to defend his title.
The welterweight champion may have won the title very recently in his last octagon outing, but he believes that contest against Robbie Lawler served as his first title defense because he was robbed of the tit more

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra knows exactly why the emotions recently got to fellow ex-titleholder B.J. Penn after his final fight.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

"Rush" left on a high note -- 12 straight wins -- a remarkable achievement that has his former nemesis a bit jealous.
After defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title for a division-record ninth consecutive time against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013, Georges St-Pierre announced that he would relinquish his title and take an indefinite leave of absence from mixed martial arts (MMA).
Because according to the former champion, the pressure and his battle with obs more