demetrious-johnson-24.jpgOn Thursday, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum he may have suffered prior to his most recent title defense.

Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that his shoulder hurt prior to a fight with John Dodson (12-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at this past month’s UFC on FOX 6, where he defended his belt via decision.

When he began training for his next bout, which was scheduled for The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale opposite John Moraga, the injury again flared up.

“Injuries seem to be a part of my career,” said Johnson, who was forced to withdraw from a headliner at the April 13 event in Las Vegas. Ex-WEC champ and current bantamweight contender Urijah Faber takes the spot against Scott Jorgensen.

Johnson said the shoulder specialist who diagnosed him with his injury also spotted a previous labrum tear that had healed.

“Labrums are something people tear all the time and they go their whole lives with a torn labrum,” he said. “Mine had torn once before. It healed on its own and I re-tore it.”

Johnson anticipates wearing a sling for four or five days after the surgery, but didn’t offer a timetable when he’d be ready to fight again. He’s heard Moraga will wait until he’s healthy.

“I’ll be rehabbing it and getting ready, so that’s all I know,” Johnson said. “But anything could change.”

A recent training session at his gym was the catalyst for an MRI that revealed the extent of the injury.

“I was working out and I pulled down on a rope and I couldn’t pull down,” Johnson said. “I had excruciating pain in my right shoulder, and I was like, ‘I can’t do this, Matt.’ I jump on a different machine and he was like, ‘You need to get an MRI.’

“I told him I didn’t want to get one because I wanted to push through. I knew something was wrong.”

Johnson famously soldiered through a broken leg when he fought Miguel Torres at UFC 130, and once suffered a broken hand that kept him out of action for six months.

“I’m young, and I want to be super active regardless of whether I’m the champion or not,” he said. “But injuries come with the sport. Luckily, I have a great support system with my wife and coaches.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Dada 5000 Discusses Health Issues, Kimbo Slice and More

Dhafir "Dada 5000" Harris stated he's still on the road to recovery after a series of health complications following his February fight against Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149. Marc Raimondi of MMA Fight read news >>

Anderson Silva Forced Out of UFC 198, May Require Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been forced to pull out of his UFC 198 bout with Uriah Hall. read news >>

Anderson Silva Pulled from UFC 198, May Need Gall Bladder Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will not participate in UFC 198 on Saturday. On Tuesday, Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports cited UFC President Dana White in reporting that Silva will not fig read news >>

Anderson Silva Underwent Successful Gall Bladder Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva underwent successful gall bladder surgery Wednesday morning, his manager told MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Dana White State of the UFC Video: Not for Sale, Anderson Silva Surgery, UFC 198, and More!

Dana White joined Colin Cowherd to breakdown all the fast moving UFC news, from the possible sale of the UFC, Anderson Silva's surgery, record crowds in Brazil, and more. read news >>

TUF 24 to Feature 16 Champions Vying for a Shot at Demetrious Johnson

The Ultimate Fighter 24 will feature 16 flyweight champions from other promotions around the world. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Hit by a Car, May Require Surgery

Wanderlei Silva was hit by a car on Wednesday and may require surgery. read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Anderson Silva’s Surgery and UFC 198 Withdrawal

UFC issues official statement on Anderson Silva surgery and removal from Saturday's UFC 198 fight card. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>

Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has signed a new, eight-fight deal with the UFC. The 29-year-old broke the news on Monday during an appearance on The MMA Hour. read news >>