demetrious-johnson-35.jpgSEATTLE – As a new father, UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson (18-2-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) is all about cashing the biggest checks possible, and he thinks a superfight with either of the UFC’s two current bantamweight champions could provide exactly that. However, he believes there are still plenty of challenges at flyweight, as well.

“I’ve beat the best of the best in the flyweight division, and there are still up-and-comers in there,” Johnson said at Saturday night’s post-UFC on FOX 8 press conference in Seattle. “I know there’s some key matchups coming up pretty soon. … There are still a couple of flyweights out there that I haven’t fought yet, and I wouldn’t mind fighting them. It’s whatever the UFC wants me to do.”

Indeed, Johnson has already made major waves in the still-developing 125-pound division. With previous wins over top-ranked flyweights Joseph Benavidez, John Dodson and Ian McCall, Johnson has yet to lose in the UFC since dropping to the new weight to kick off the division in March 2012. On Saturday night, he earned his second defense of the flyweight title with an impressive fifth-round submission win over John Moraga in the main event of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 8 fight card at Seattle’s KeyArena.

Johnson previously fought at 135 pounds for both the UFC and WEC, so a return to the division wouldn’t be out of the question. But “Mighty Mouse” said it’s not his sole focus, especially with contenders such as Jussier Formiga, John Lineker, Tim Elliott, Louis Gaudinot and others still developing at 125 pounds.

“[A superfight] is just something to throw out there,” Johnson said. “I’m still focused on my weight division. I know there’s up-and-coming fighters who are trying to come up and take what’s mine, and I’ll be there to defend it for the fans.”

But if an interesting fight comes along at 135 pounds, particularly one that might result in an impressive paycheck, Johnson said he’s more than willing to listen.

“I think everybody is focused on Anderson Silva, ‘GSP’ and all those guys,” Johnson said. “But I think we can make some fun superfights down in a lighter-weight division with the flyweights fighting the bantamweights. I know the bantamweights have some things to wok out, and then we’ll see what happens. I’m just here to fight and have a good time and put on a good performance for the UFC and the fans.”

And White, well he’s not making any commitments, but he’s certainly not ruling anything out, either.

“Reporters keep asking me, ‘When’s he going to get the respect he’s due?’” White said. “I think he’s earned the respect he’s due.

“Listen, if Demetrious came and said that he wanted to fight the champion at 135, I don’t know, I’d have to talk to our matchmakers and see what they think, what they want to do. I don’t hate the idea.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Bryan Nuro Sees Justin Harrington as His Stepping Stone to the UFC or Bellator

A win over SFL champ Justin Harrington is Bryan Nuro's stepping stone to the big leagues. read news >>

Watch: Alistair Overeem Knocks Out Andrei Arlovski with "Karate Kid" Crane Kick

Just 18 months ago, Alistair Overeem was the biggest bust in UFC history. 'Reem signed with the UFC in 2011 with a massive wave of hype behind him. Dream heavyweight champion. Strikeforce heavyweight read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: 5 ‘Heavyweight’ Takeaways

We take a look at the five "biggest" takeaways from UFC Rotterdam. It's the heavyweights, y'all. read news >>

TUF 24 to Feature 16 Champions Vying for a Shot at Demetrious Johnson

The Ultimate Fighter 24 will feature 16 flyweight champions from other promotions around the world. read news >>

UFC 198 Weigh-in Results: Biggest Brazilian Fight Card Ever Gets the Green Light

Saturday's Brazilian blockbuster UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic got the green light on Friday after the fighters weighed in before 20,000-plus fans in Curitiba. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>

Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has signed a new, eight-fight deal with the UFC. The 29-year-old broke the news on Monday during an appearance on The MMA Hour. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Tyron Woodley Challenges Robbie Lawler for the Welterweight Title at UFC 201

Buckle up, Atlanta. UFC 201 is coming to the Peach State with a welterweight title showdown. No. 1-ranked champion Robbie Lawler (26-10) defends his title against No. 4-ranked Tyron Woodley (15-3). T read news >>

Demetrious Johnson to Make Surprise Title Defense at UFC 201 in Atlanta

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has his next title defense set for UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>