demetrious-johnson-35.jpgSEATTLE – As a new father, UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson (18-2-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) is all about cashing the biggest checks possible, and he thinks a superfight with either of the UFC’s two current bantamweight champions could provide exactly that. However, he believes there are still plenty of challenges at flyweight, as well.

“I’ve beat the best of the best in the flyweight division, and there are still up-and-comers in there,” Johnson said at Saturday night’s post-UFC on FOX 8 press conference in Seattle. “I know there’s some key matchups coming up pretty soon. … There are still a couple of flyweights out there that I haven’t fought yet, and I wouldn’t mind fighting them. It’s whatever the UFC wants me to do.”

Indeed, Johnson has already made major waves in the still-developing 125-pound division. With previous wins over top-ranked flyweights Joseph Benavidez, John Dodson and Ian McCall, Johnson has yet to lose in the UFC since dropping to the new weight to kick off the division in March 2012. On Saturday night, he earned his second defense of the flyweight title with an impressive fifth-round submission win over John Moraga in the main event of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 8 fight card at Seattle’s KeyArena.

Johnson previously fought at 135 pounds for both the UFC and WEC, so a return to the division wouldn’t be out of the question. But “Mighty Mouse” said it’s not his sole focus, especially with contenders such as Jussier Formiga, John Lineker, Tim Elliott, Louis Gaudinot and others still developing at 125 pounds.

“[A superfight] is just something to throw out there,” Johnson said. “I’m still focused on my weight division. I know there’s up-and-coming fighters who are trying to come up and take what’s mine, and I’ll be there to defend it for the fans.”

But if an interesting fight comes along at 135 pounds, particularly one that might result in an impressive paycheck, Johnson said he’s more than willing to listen.

“I think everybody is focused on Anderson Silva, ‘GSP’ and all those guys,” Johnson said. “But I think we can make some fun superfights down in a lighter-weight division with the flyweights fighting the bantamweights. I know the bantamweights have some things to wok out, and then we’ll see what happens. I’m just here to fight and have a good time and put on a good performance for the UFC and the fans.”

And White, well he’s not making any commitments, but he’s certainly not ruling anything out, either.

“Reporters keep asking me, ‘When’s he going to get the respect he’s due?’” White said. “I think he’s earned the respect he’s due.

“Listen, if Demetrious came and said that he wanted to fight the champion at 135, I don’t know, I’d have to talk to our matchmakers and see what they think, what they want to do. I don’t hate the idea.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

From Around the Web

UFC 184 prelims pull third-biggest rating of FOX Sports 1 era

Pay-per-view estimates for Saturday's UFC 184 aren't in yet, but thus far all signs for the show being a success have continued to come in.The prelims on FOX Sports 1 from 8-10 p.m. ET drew 1,205,000 read news >>

Dillashaw 'could definitely' drop to flyweight for Johnson – $2 million or not

MONTREAL – UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has said he’ll only move up in weight to face bantamweight titleholder T.J. Dillashaw for a firm price tag of $2 million. Dillashaw, meanwhile, is read news >>

UFC Super fight? T. J. Dillashaw would drop to flyweight to fight Demetrious Johnson

UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw is up for a champion vs. champion superfight against flyweight kingpin Demetrious Johnson and would even drop down a weight class to make it happen. UFC flywe read news >>

UFC 186: TJ Dillashaw willing to drop to flyweight for Demetrious Johnson fight

...and it won't cost the promotion no $2 million. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson said he would have no issues going up to bantamweight for a champion vs. c read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Conor McGregor is one of the biggest fighters in MMA, pushing for 1 million PPV buys

Having his featherweight championship bout against division kingpin Jose Aldo over the welterweight title fight between Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler at UFC 189 is proof of that. "It stands true t read news >>

UFC 186's Kyoji Horiguchi predicts upset of Demetrious Johnson: 'I'm going to become champion'

MONTREAL – Thrust into the challenger role ahead of schedule, Kyoji Horiguchi insists he’ll be prepared to dethrone longtime UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson when the two meet at UFC 186. read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Lady Gaga training at UFC gym

Justin Bieber has Floyd Mayweather, but another of pop music's biggest stars is taking on combat sports training. First it was Brock Lesnar, crashing the gates of MMA stardom and running the tables i read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos is Gonna Go Bring His Belt Home (UFC 185 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Rafael dos Anjos has the biggest fight of his life before him, but appeared remarkably calm in fielding questions at the UFC 185 workouts. read news >>

Carla Esparza responds to Fedor's anti-WMMA comments: It is the biggest female sport

UFC strawweight champion Carla Esparza discusses Fedor Emelianenko’s recent comments against female fighting. read news >>