UFC boss reveals Antonio Rogerio Nogueira never agreed to face Gustafsson


antonio-rogerio-nogueira-15.jpgGOIANIA, Brazil – When it was revealed that Antonio Rogerio Nogueira wouldn’t be facing Alexander Gustafsson – less than one week after it was announced he would – many fans wondered how a fighter could agree to a fight more than four months out only to withdraw six days later. To put it simply, he didn’t.

“What happened was that night we decided to make the fight,” UFC President Dana White explained. “Gustafsson said yes, and they couldn’t get hold of him, so I said, ‘F–k it,’ and just went with it and announced the fight, and of course, he’s hurt.”

White in October announced that Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) vs. Nogueira (21-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC) would headline the UFC’s first European Tour event, which takes place March 8 at London’s O2 Arena.

It was revealed just a few days later that a lingering back issue would prevent Nogueira from taking part. Now, as it turns out, the light heavyweight never committed to the appearance.

Nogueira, a former PRIDE fighter whose UFC career has been slowed by an assortment of injuries, was hoping to fight for the first time in 13 months. He would have been in search of his third consecutive win following impressive performances against former champs Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans, which halted a two-fight skid.

While White admits he was partially to blame for the confusion, he’s certainly not giving Nogueira a free pass. Instead, the UFC boss said he doesn’t understand why the 37-year-old Brazilian, who’s fought just six times in four years as a UFC fighter, can’t stay healthy.

“The fight isn’t for four months, and he’s already determined he’s hurt,” White said. “I don’t understand that. The guy is always hurt. Every time you call him, he’s hurt.”

Gustafsson now fights Jimi Manuwa at the event.

For more on the UFC European Tour show in London, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC officials today announced that Anderson Silva has been removed as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4,” and fellow Brazilian superstar Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will serve in his place.File read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira just bought a ticket for the Brock Lesnar lottery. Operating under the assumption that the current WWE heavyweight champion makes his return to mixed martial arts (MMA) when read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 7 views

Anderson Silva will no longer coach the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil. UFC president Dana White announced last week that the former middleweight champion would continue in his role as read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 14 views

The UFC announced today that Brazilian legend Rodrigo "Big Nog" Nogueira will join the cast of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 after Anderson Silva departed the show at the NSAC's request. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 4 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White was adamant that Anderson Silva would remain on as coach for The Ultimate Fighter: "Brazil 4," despite the fact that "The Spider" was popped read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 0 views

The news that Anderson Silva failed a pre-fight drug test due to the anabolic steroids Drostanolone and Androstane shook MMA to its core. While the court of public opinion can be swift in its judgmen read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 4 views

What could victory mean for Antonio Silva, Frank Mir, Michael Johnson, and Edson Barboza ahead of their respective headlining bouts this weekend (Sun., Feb. 22, 2015) at the Gigantinho Gymnasium in P read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 5 views

PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil – Former champion Frank Mir had lost four straight fights when he stepped into the octagon against onetime title challenger Antonio Silva, and he was facing pressure to retire if read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 6 views

Frank Mir jump-started his UFC career with an impressive knockout against Bigfoot Silva. Now he's looking towards trilogies against Brock Lesnar or Big Nog. Frank Mir won by knockout against Antonio read news >>