UFC boss: Wanderlei Silva can't fight until January, Chael Sonnen fight unlikely


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

wanderlei-silva-15.jpgAs entertaining as it was, Wanderlei Silva‘s fiery video directed at Chael Sonnen wasn’t a guarantee they’d fight.

Silva, according to UFC President Dana White, apparently is dealing with an injury that will keep him out of the cage for the remainder of the year.

“He’s not going to be healthy until January,” White said following Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 27 event. “He can’t even start training until January.”

In other words, Silva is no closer to competing than he was when Sonnen openly challenged him in a recent interview.

Sonnen, a three-time UFC title challenger, submitted Mauricio “Shogun” Rua earlier this month at UFC Fight Night 26 and then used his commentator’s chair to call out “The Axe Murderer” for a fight at UFC 167 on Nov. 16 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena.

In an interview prior to UFC Fight Night 26, Sonnen (29-13-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) said Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) would never take the fight, but didn’t say why, and wound up calling out the former PRIDE champ anyway.

For his part, White said he’d try to make the fight, but also added, “I’m not sure if [Silva's] healthy. But if he’s healthy, I will definitely make that fight, and I will definitely make it the co-main event.”

Shortly afterward, the UFC president told MMAFighting.com that Silva had turned down the fight not because he was injured, but rather that he wasn’t guaranteed a portion of the event’s pay-per-view profits.

Fans might have expected Silva to respond to the claim during a video he promised to fans and media in the wake of the report. Instead, he ranted at Sonnen and promised a fight between the two.

White said he had heard of the video but hadn’t seen it. Nonetheless, he said he bore no ill will toward the Brazilian fighter, who most recently was seen in the cage in March, when he knocked out Brian Stann.

“I know publicly, it looked like whatever with Wanderlei,” White said. “I like Wanderlei very much, and I respect him as a fighter and a person. We’ll figure this thing out. There’s no animosity or anything like that.”

White added that he’d recently spoken to Sonnen but didn’t say whether he would fulfill the fighter’s other request to compete at UFC 167.

“He wants to fight on that 20th anniversary,” White said. “He wants to co-main that fight.”

As previously reported, that wish could turn into a co-main event against Phil Davis. So for now, Silva is on the shelf.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 3 days ago
  • 13 views

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 28 views

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Silva told Submission Radio. "I hope this fight is gonna happen." "I think him and [Vitor] Belfort are just the two good fights that have a reason to happen for me." The pair were slated to fight Jul. 5 at UFC 175 before they each ran afoul of the Nevada State Athleti read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 93 views

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva. The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 32 views

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he still thinks the bout will happen. The Brazilian slugger allegedly refused to take a random drug test administered by the commission, on top of not applying for his fighter's license on time, so he was removed from UFC 175 in late May, per MMA Fighting. While Sonnen was quick to pok read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 22 views

Where you at, Ralek? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva, who coached alongside bitter rival Chael Sonnen on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil," still wants to settle their score after years of public quarreling. It could be awhile. Sonnen -- who insists he's retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) -- is currently serving a two-year suspension handed down by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for a pair of failed drug tests. In addition, Si read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 52 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon. Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible." "Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 60 views

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test. Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission. Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 84 views

UFC vets Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort will appear today before the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and the UFC streams the hearing via UFC Fight Pass beginning at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 142 views

Today's (Weds., July 23, 2014) live hearing gets underway at 1 p.m. ET. Time to face the music. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will stream today's (July 23, 2014) live hearing featuring Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) and embattled middleweights Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort, online via the promotion's Fight Pass digital network. Not a subscriber? Not a problem. MMAmania.com will be tuning in and bringing you LIVE updates as the action unfolds right here, beginning at 1 p.m. ET. S read news >>