dana-white-105.jpgDana White probably better hope he didn’t jinx himself.

The UFC president just got done talking about how fortunate the promotion has been in 2013 with injuries, and three days later he lost a major draw, which forced a changeup to the main event of two fight cards.

On Friday, Michael Bisping (24-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) was forced out of the main event of UFC Fight Night 30, which takes place Oct. 26 in Manchester in his home country of England.

In response, the UFC plucked Lyoto Machida (19-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) from his UFC Fight Night 31 main event against Tim Kennedy (16-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and instead will have him fight Mark Munoz (13-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) in England.

So UFC Fight Night 30 has its new main event, but Fight Night 31 still seeks an opponent for Kennedy.

Even before he knew Bisping was going to be out – which would’ve been the popular Brit’s first fight in his home country in three years, a win over Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 120 – White was pleased with how few injuries have disrupted big events in 2013 as compared to 2012.

“This year has been great for us, coming off the worst year we’ve ever had,” White told a small group of reporters on Tuesday after a news conference for UFC 168 in Las Vegas. “I’m glad (2012) happened. I’m glad we went through that last year. Because if you would’ve told me before that was possible, I’d have said that’s impossible. You’re crazy – there’s no way that many people can get hurt consecutively.”

Among 2012's big injuries were welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, who in late 2011 was forced out of a title defense against Nick Diaz at UFC 143; bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz, who suffered a knee injury during the live Season 15 of “The Ultimate Fighter” that forced him out of a title defense against Urijah Faber and created an interim title fight between Faber and Renan Barao; and Dan Henderson, whose knee injury knocked him out of a title shot against Jon Jones at the ill-fated UFC 151, which then was canceled when Jones turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen.

Free TV cards were affected, too. Shane Carwin had to pull out of the coaches fight against Roy Nelson for the TUF 16 Finale and was replaced by Matt Mitrione. Carwin later retired. And Antonio Rogerio Nogueira pulled out of the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 2 in Sweden against Alexander Gustafsson and was replaced by Thiago Silva.

And then there was Calgary. UFC 149 set the standard for cards ravaged by injuries. Featherweight champ Jose Aldo was to headline against Erik Koch, but was forced out with an injury. Bisping was supposed to fight Tim Boetsch, but was forced out. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was to meet Cheick Kongo, but “Big Nog” couldn’t make it.

Akiyama was supposed to fight Thiago Alves, but Akiyama was forced out and replaced by Siyar Bahadurzada. Then Alves fell off and was replaced by Chris Clements. Then Bahadurzada was replaced by Matthew Riddle – who later tested positive for marijuana, making that entire bout effectively disappear as a no-contest.

Silva was supposed to fight Mauricio Rua, but got hurt, and then “Shogun” was pulled to fight on a later card. George Roop was on the card, but fell off. Claude Patrick got hurt.

To put it mildly, it was insanity.

“How about Calgary? An entire card got wiped out, and then half the second card got wiped out,” White said. “I just would have never believed that could happen. Now I know it can happen, I know it is possible, and if there was ever a testament to all the naysayers about the validity of the UFC as a sport and the fact we have staying power, that year proved it.”

Instead of pounding his head against the wall over unlucky injuries, White now knows they’re just a fact of life as a promoter – and sometimes, he just has to make the best of things.

When Anthony Pettis fell out of his featherweight title fight against Aldo, who knew that a month after he was supposed to fight for the 145-pound belt, he’d be healthy enough to fill in for T.J. Grant to challenge Benson Henderson for the lightweight title? And then, of course, subsequently win it?

“You’re either lucky or you’re not,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “This year, we’re lucky. Last year, we’re not. Even when bad things happen, we slide Pettis in there, and it ends up Pettis-Henderson, in (Pettis’) hometown, and that was a great fight, too.”

Now White will just have to hope for the same type of good fortune with the Machida-Munoz fight in Manchester – and hope that all the title fights on his year-end pay-per-views stay intact.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Dana White)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White UFC 189 Fan Expo Q&A video

  • 25 days ago
  • 489 views

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discussed Jose Aldo's injuries, Conor McGregor, UFC 189, and much more during a Q&A at the Fan Expo on Friday afternoon. read news >>

Dana White says Conor McGregor vs. Frankie Edgar 'made absolutely no sense'

  • 27 days ago
  • 123 views

UFC president Dana White explains why Chad Mendes was chosen over Frankie Edgar to fight Conor McGregor at UFC 189. When news broke of Jose Aldo's suspected rib fracture two weeks ago, MMA fans and f read news >>

Thiago Silva vs. Mike Kyle booked for WSOF 22 with Tyrone Spong hurt

  • 27 days ago
  • 7 views

Injuries have once again resulted in a change to the main card of a televised mixed martial arts (MMA) event. Kickboxing sensation and undefeated (2-0) MMA fighter Tyrone Spong, frequently seen on th read news >>

Alistair Overeem calls out Junior dos Santos, tells UFC President Dana White to 'make it happen'

  • 27 days ago
  • 42 views

He even included that little fist emoji, so we know he's serious this time. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem, fresh off a "Big Country" beatdown in Dallas, read news >>

Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo would have ‘probably would've made close to $4 million’

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC President Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo was set to make close to $4 million at UFC 189. Prior to Jose Aldo's withdrawal from the highly anticipated UFC 189 event, it was clear that the feathe read news >>

Morning Report: Dana White says Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 10 views

As if featherweight champion Jose Aldo couldn't feel any lower, apparently his absence at UFC 189 has only added to the appeal. At least that's the line UFC president Dana White is going with. Accord read news >>

Conor McGregor Bet Dana White $3 Million He’d KO Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 94 views

So confident is Conor McGregor that he bet his employers $3 million he'll knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189. read news >>

Dana White: Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 39 views

The UFC president was a guest on The Russillo Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday (July 7, 2015) and he disclosed just how much money Jose Aldo was set to earn at UFC 189. Jose Aldo may have withdrawn from read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor tried to bet me $3 million he would knockout Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 25 views

And as early as the second round, no less. You certainly can't accuse Conor McGregor of being short on confidence. That became evident after the smooth-talking Irishman tried to bet Ultimate Fighting read news >>

Dana White: UFC 189 passed U.S. gate record following McGregor-Mendes announcement

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

The sense of disappointment when Jose Aldo had to drop out of his scheduled UFC 189 main event against Conor McGregor due to a broken rib was widespread. But the idea this would be a deathblow proved read news >>