Despite pleas from both sides of the UFC 171 post-fight podium, the next welterweight contender has yet to emerge.

UFC President Dana White is holding off on deciding who’s next for newly minted welterweight champ Johny Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC), who outpointed Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) in the headliner of Saturday’s pay-per-view event.

Asked by MMAjunkie what the promotions plans are for the division and whether key welterweight fights on the card produced a challenger for Hendricks, White simply said, “Nope.”

UFC 171 took place at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. The event’s main card aired live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Two welterweights who were victorious in separate bouts bid for the position at the event’s post-fight presser. Tyron Woodley (13-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who earned a second-round TKO when former interim champ Carlos Condit injured his knee, repeated an earlier call for a title shot. And Hector Lombard (34-4-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who outpointed Jake Shields, unexpectedly put his name in the hat.

Of the two volunteers, it was Woodley’s bout that had the more unusual ending. Prior to the fight, Hendricks said he expected the winner of the fight to be a No. 1 contender. But with a less-than-decisive outcome, the question was whether anything had changed.

“I think it takes nothing away,” Woodley said. “I think if you break somebody’s arm in an armbar, or you put them in a choke and they don’t tap, it wasn’t like it came from a pre-existing injury. It came from a double-leg takedown. I saw that he was hurt and I went for the finish. I think I was dominating the fight, and that’s a hard guy to dominate.

“I asked for this fight because I didn’t think I was going to lose it. You guys fail to realize I’m in this to be a world champion, and I went after the top guy, and everybody was so quiet, and I blew [Dana White's] phone up until he probably couldn’t take it any more, because I want to be the world champ, and I think that alone, the persistence, warrants me a world title shots. Me and Johny Hendricks have some unfinished business from the big-12 days of wrestling, and I would love to get my hands on him.”

Lombard initially shied away from proclaiming his worthiness as a contender, but almost three-quarters of the way through the presser, he changed his mind.

“I would like to get that please,” said Lombard, motioning to a mind. “I beat the guy that [Hendricks] was himself calling for the right to fight for the belt, because he had, like, four wins. So I believe now that Robbie is out of the picture, I can be a tough challenge for him.”

For Hendricks, the answer to the question is to not say anything at all, at least for the moment. He said after years of calling out the champ, and then finally getting the belt, his play would be to keep his mouth shut and wait for the UFC to give him a fight.

In the meantime, his immediate plan is to return home and tend to the home front.

“I’m going to go home, kiss my wife, kiss my three little girls, (and) say that I’m going to be home for a little bit,” Hendricks said. “I’ll spend some time with them and be a father again. Just enjoy life.”

For complete coverage of UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

Ronda Rousey Taken to Hospital Following Brutal UFC 193 Knockout Loss

Ronda Rousey was taken to the hospital following her loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193, according to Dana White. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Rousey vs. Holm Rematch, KO Upset, More

UFC President Dana White spoke about the possibility of a rematch between Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm after Holm stunned Rousey with a second-round knockout at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia, on Sat read news >>

Dana White was granting wishes – ranging from Joanna Jedrzejczyk to hugs to hot wings

MELBOURNE, Australia – UFC President Dana White was in a giving mood on Friday, and he granted a host of wishes – many of which included Joanna Jedrzejczyk.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

Rumors of Jose Aldo pulling out of UFC 194? 'Not true,' Dana White says

MELBOURNE, Australia – If you have tickets for next month’s UFC 194 pay-per-view and are worried about the main event falling apart, UFC President Dana White has some encouraging news.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Dana White hopeful 'CM Punk' debuts by mid-2016, urges fans to be patient

MELBOURNE, Australia – If you’re still waiting for Phil “CM Punk” Brooks to make that long-promoted UFC debut, company president Dana White is urging a little patience.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

Dana White Video: Rousey vs. Holm Dust-Up, Is Cyborg Next, Tate Retirement, and More

Dana White touches on a number of topics, including: the Rousey and Holm weigh-in dust-up, is Cris Cyborg next, Miesha Tate retiring, and more. read news >>

Dana White notebook: ‘Cyborg’ probably next for Rousey, doesn’t want Hughes vs. Serra 2

MELBOURNE, Australia – Several hundred people turned out to see UFC President Dana White at a Q&A session after UFC 193’s official weigh-ins, with the executive taking questions on a variety of topic read news >>

Miesha Tate will spend fight night at gentleman's club as Dana White keeps making empty promises (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: UFC's vow to "make it right" to Tate is of no consolation as Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm set to square off in Australia. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Expected Gate for Rousey vs. Holm, UFC 193

Ronda Rousey will put her undefeated record on the line at UFC 193 in Australia against Holly Holm on Saturday. According to Damon Martin of Fox Sports, the fight is anticipated to break the all-time read news >>