Chael Sonnen remained a fixture in the world of MMA news when the UFC and FOX released him on Monday following a second failed drug test.

On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White spoke about the decision he and the UFC were faced with after learning of Sonnen’s second failed test. The fighter already had been pulled from Saturday’s UFC 175 with the first failure, which led to his retirement from MMA.

But the second failed random test was the straw that broke the camel’s back, and the three-time title challenger was not only cut from his analyst duties with FOX Sports, but was released from the UFC entirely.

“It’s never easy making a decision like this,” White told “America’s Pregame” on FOX Sports 1 on Tuesday night. “Chael’s a person that I personally care about. I know a lot of people at FOX care about him, too. The guy had four banned substances in his system leading up to a fight here in Las Vegas. It’s a tough one – it’s one of those hard decisions you’ve got to make. It’s something we had to do.”

Sonnen (28-14-1) announced his retirement from MMA on June 11, shortly after a first failed drug test was announced in Nevada. He announced his retirement on FOX Sports 1's “UFC Tonight,” the weekly show he was co-host of alongside Kenny Florian.

Sonnen was randomly tested in late May in Las Vegas ahead of a scheduled UFC 175 fight against what was supposed to be Wanderlei Silva. Silva skipped out on a random test and was pulled from the fight; Vitor Belfort stepped in for him, but was left without an opponent when Sonnen was pulled after his failed test.

On June 17, Sonnen was temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, a move stemming from the first failed test.

On Saturday, it was reported that Sonnen failed a second test on June 5, and two additional banned substances were found in his system.

Sonnen, a 37-year-old Oregon native, also ran afoul with drug testing after his first fight with Anderson Silva, when he failed to properly disclose his use of testosterone-replacement therapy to the California State Athletic Commission. His approved use of TRT after that made him one of the sport’s poster boys for doctor-prescribed testosterone in cases where fighters’ natural levels of the hormone were below the standard.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Georges St-Pierre Talks UFC Return, Dana White and Possible Comeback Opponents

  • 25 days ago
  • 109 views

Georges St-Pierre has reaffirmed his intention to make a full return to MMA and has hit back at suggestions from UFC President Dana White that he doesn’t have the desire to fight. The 35-year-old has read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

  • 21 days ago
  • 227 views

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Dana White Says Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Signed for UFC 205 in New York

  • 18 days ago
  • 47 views

Dana White says an exciting bout between Robbie Lawler and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has been inked for UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

Dana White on Mickey Gall Calling Out Sage Northcutt: ‘We’ll Make It Happen’ | MMAWeekly.com

  • 14 days ago
  • 50 views

After Mickey Gall called out Sage Northcutt following his win over CM Punk at UFC 203 on Saturday, Dana White says Northcutt is open to the bout. read news >>

Dana White Says No More Conor McGregor Fights at Welterweight | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 484 views

UFC president Dana White says a trilogy fight between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is unlikely and that McGregor needs to defend his 145-pound title. read news >>

Will Dana White Still Run the UFC in 5 Years? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 28 views

UFC president Dana White is under a five-year deal to remain with the company's new ownership. But what happens when the five years is up? read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 10 days ago
  • 166 views

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 39 views

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

  • 9 days ago
  • 51 views

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 9 days ago
  • 64 views

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>