gilbert-yvel-7.jpgFormer UFC and PRIDE fighter Gilbert Yvel has announced his MMA retirement after a 16-year career.

Yvel, who made the announcement via groundandpound.de, said the timing was right after a series of fight postponements and cancellations, as well as a kidney issue.

“I’m pretty much done,” the 37-year-old said. “I’ve been fighting for the last 16 years. … I’m done. I’m tired. I don’t want to punch nobody anymore. I want to teach people, train and have fun. I’ve been fighting for 16 years. That’s a long time.”

The Dutchman, who made his MMA debut in 1997, posted a 38-16-1 record that included 32 knockout wins and stints with major organizations such as PRIDE, Affliction and the UFC. Most recently, the longtime heavyweight fought twice for Resurrection Fighting Alliance, where he ended a three-fight skid with knockout wins over Damian Dantibo and Houston Alexander in late 2011 and early 2012. The wins came after his drop to light heavyweight, where he said it was a struggle to maintain the weight as scheduled fights kept falling through.

Early in his career, Yvel was known as much for his unsportsmanlike conduct as his knockout power. After eye-gouging and biting previous opponents, his most infamous infraction came in 2004 at a Fight Festival event in Finland, where he punched and knocked out a referee, which led to his third career loss via disqualification.

However, Yvel, who said he briefly embraced his “bad guy” persona, ultimately cleaned up his act, and after an 8-1 run, he signed with the UFC in late 2009.

“It was back in the day,” Yvel joked about his past indiscretions. “We were young and stupid, and when you’re young, you do stupid things. I always had the misfortune that there was always a camera nearby or … it was when I was fighting.”

Yvel went winless in his three UFC appearances (with losses to Junior dos Santos, Ben Rothwell and Jon Madsen) and then signed with RFA.

He retires with past wins over the likes of Pedro Rizzo, Cheick Kongo, Gary Goodridge, Valentijn Overeem, Fabiano Scherner and Semmy Schilt.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Bellator ‘British Invasion’ Lineup Set with 12 Fights, Prelims Include UFC Vet Tamdan McCrory

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

Bellator MMA has rounded out its “British Invasion” card with the addition of seven preliminary bouts. read news >>

Bellator ‘British Invasion’ Lineup Set with 12 Fights, UFC Vet Tamdan McCrory on Prelims

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

Bellator MMA has rounded out its “British Invasion” card with the addition of seven preliminary bouts. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 268 - Eddie Alvarez

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC lightweight Eddie Alvarez discusses what's next for him and responds to Gilbert Melendez's request to fight him last week. read news >>

Hector Lombard tests positive for steroids at UFC 182 and MMA Twitter reacts

  • 23 days ago
  • 18 views

Hector Lombard became the latest mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter fighting under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner to fail a drug test, as it was revealed earlier today (Tues., Feb. 10, read news >>

UFC announces plan to implement comprehensive out-of-competition random PED testing

  • 16 days ago
  • 13 views

During a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, the UFC announced a plan to implement comprehensive out-of-competition PED testing effective July 2015. During a special press conference on Wednesda read news >>

UFC announces new drug-testing policy designed to 'test every fighter from every card'

  • 16 days ago
  • 4 views

Dana, bring me everyone. Whaddaya mean everyone? EV-ERY-ONE!!!!! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is rolling out what it calls a "drug-testing call to action." UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, along wit read news >>

UFC Announces Drastic New Drug-Testing Program, Goes into Effect July 1

  • 16 days ago
  • 1 views

LAS VEGAS—The Ultimate Fighting Championship today announced plans for sweeping changes to its overall drug-testing program that could change the face of mixed martial arts as we know it, including p read news >>

UFC Plans Random Drug Testing and Pushes for Two-to-Four-Year Bans | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 1 views

The UFC on Wednesday announced its new approach to drug testing, which includes support for two-to-four-year bans for first-time offenders. read news >>

UFC pushing for harsher punishments, multi-year suspensions following new drug-testing policy

  • 15 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC announced upcoming changes to its drug-testing policies today (Weds., Feb. 18, 2015). Starting on July 1, all fighters will be subject to random out-of-competition testing and the promotion is pu read news >>