(Click to enlarge)
The UFC and and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority on Monday announced that they have partnered up for the first annual International Fight Week, which will take place around UFC 148, from July 3 through July 7.
International Fight Week will feature the largest ever gathering of fighters and unprecedented access to UFC stars, the biggest UFC Fan Expo yet, open workouts with UFC 148 fighters, pool parties and pub crawls hosted by fighters and Octagon Girls, a concert and, of course, the week will cumulate in UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva puts his belt on the line once again in a rematch with Chael Sonnen, whom he defeated with a triangle choke late in their first fight at UFC 117.
Some of the most memorable UFC events in history have taken place around the Fourth of July weekend in Las Vegas. A firm tradition was born in July 2009, when the milestone UFC 100 event brought over 60,000 fight fans from around the world to Vegas.
The UFC’s ability to draw fans from not only all over the U.S., but also from around the world to the company’s hometown has not gone unnoticed by the LVCVA.
The UFC and LVCVA partnership is intended to make the UFC’s July event and International Fight Week an annual tradition for the UFC in Las Vegas.
“For years the UFC has done a big Vegas show around the Fourth of July weekend and now we’ve made it a focal point in our calendar,” said UFC president Dana White. “For UFC 148, we’ve got fans coming in from all over the country, tons of people from Brazil and Canada and as far away as England, Japan and Australia to see this fight.
“Las Vegas is the UFC’s hometown. This is where our headquarters are, this is where we are from and we’re proud to be contributing to the local economy. The first annual International Fight Week will be awesome, the fans are going to have a fight week experience better than anything they’ve ever had before, and each year we are going to build this thing to the point where every fan on the planet knows they have to come to Vegas for this July fight week at least once in their lives.”
Some of the highlights of International Fight Week include:
· Final UFC 148 press conference, free and open to public, at Lagasse Stadium at the Palazzo, Tuesday July 3
· Octagon Nation Truck, with fighter appearances and interactive features, will be at the world-famous Fremont Street from July 4 until fight night
· A free 4th July concert at Fremont Street featuring 3 Doors Down
· FUEL TV will be reporting live from Fremont Street on July 4 and 5
· UFC 148 Open Workouts at XS at Wynn
· Pool Parties at the Mandalay Bay and Palms
· July 5 Pub Crawl in downtown Las Vegas hosted by
· UFC Fan Expo, July 6 and 7, at Mandalay Bay
· Rock concert with special guests
· UFC 148 viewing parties throughout the town
· UFC 148 Official After-Party at Tryst Nightclub at Wynn
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.