Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Adlan Amagov officially announces retirement from MMA competition

UFC welterweight Adlan Amagov has officially announced his retirement from professional sports, including mixed martial arts competition. For months, the reasons for Adlan Amagov's extended absence f read news >>

UFC announces South Korean debut on November 28

The announced today that it is heading to Seoul, South Korea for the first time in the fall. Today following the Ultimate Fighting Championship's successful Philippines debut in Manila at UFC Fight N read news >>

UFC Announces First Event in South Korea

Singapore – UFC® today announced that it will bring its first ever live event to Seoul, South Korea, on November 28, 2015 at the city’s Olympic Park Gymnastics Arena. This marks the third UFC event i read news >>

Eddie Wineland Puts Off Retirement, Faces Bryan Caraway at UFC on Fox 16

• 23 hours ago

UFC officials announced on Thursday that sixth-ranked Eddie Wineland (21-10-1) would take on tenth-ranked Bryan Caraway (19-7) at UFC on FOX 16. read news >>

Daniel Cormier reacts to Jon Jones getting stripped of title and replacing him at UFC 187

As announced on Tuesday night on "FOX Sports Live," Daniel Cormier will now fight Anthony Johnson for the undisputed UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. Jon Jones was strip read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 Finale Event Page and Fight Card

Announced bouts and fight card rumors for The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 Finale: Story vs. Silva on June 27 at the Ginásio do Ibirapuera in São Paulo, Brazil. read news >>

On Eve of MMA Retirement, Mark Munoz Sells Reign Training Center

Reign Training Center, the California MMA gym that cultivated standouts like Jake Ellenberger and Uriah Hall, is no more. That's according to Mark Munoz, the UFC middleweight who owns the center and read news >>

ONE Championship to crown first strawweight champion in May

ONE Championship will crown its first strawweight champion in May. The promotion announced that Roy Doliguez and Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke will meet for the inaugural 115-pound belt in the co-ma read news >>

Full Mayweather-Pacquiao fight card announced for May 2

Two of boxing's "most talented and exciting stars," WBC Super Bantamweight World Champion Leo Santa Cruz (29-0-1, 17 KOs) and WBO Featherweight World Champion Vasyl Lomachenko (3-1, 1 KO), will attem read news >>