Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Former UFC contender Tyson Griffin announces WSOF release, hints at retirement

Tyson Griffin is no longer on the WSOF roster, and the former UFC contender is suggesting his fighting career may be over.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

With 51 wins, Brian Ebersole announces retirement after UFC Fight Night 68 loss

NEW ORLEANS – After 70 fights, Brian Ebersole has had enough. The 34-year-old veteran fighter said he’ll retire following his UFC Fight Night 68 loss to Omari Akhmedov on Saturday night. Filed under: read news >>

Bellator Announces McGeary vs. Ortiz Title Fight and Four-Man, Same-Night Tournament

Bellator MMA announced on Friday that light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary would face Tito Ortiz for the title on Sept. 19 in San Jose. read news >>

Bellator MMA announces it has signed 25-fight UFC veteran Josh Koscheck

Bellator MMA announced tonight that it has added Josh Koscheck to its Welterweight roster. Koscheck is a 25-fight Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran and was among the few pioneers who helpe read news >>

TUF 19 runner-up Dhiego Lima announces his UFC release

In a published message on Facebook, TUF 19 middleweight runner-up announced his release from the UFC and his intentions to take the rest of 2015 off. Welterweight Dhiego Lima came up just short of wi read news >>

UFC announces Oct. 24 return to Dublin, Ireland

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently announced its highly-anticipated return to Dublin, Ireland, for a special "Fight Night" mixed martial arts (MMA) event inside the 3Arena -- formerly know read news >>

Video: Dan Henderson plans to finish UFC contract, not considering retirement

Dan Henderson may be getting long in the tooth, but the mixed martial arts (MMA) legend plans to show he still has bite in the main event of UFC Fight Night 68 tonight (June 6, 2015) inside Smoothie read news >>

Arnold Allen in as late-replacement against Alan Omer at UFC Fight Night 69

Days after it was announced that Mike Wilkinson had an injury and had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 69 featherweight bout with Alan Omer, the UFC has announced that Arnold Allen has stepped in read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum Gate and Attendance Set Records in Mexico City

UFC president Dana White announced the attendance numbers from UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum following the pay-per-view event in Mexico City on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 188 Fighter Bonuses: Fabricio Werdum Earns Bonus to Go with His New Belt

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the performance-based fighter bonuses stemming from the UFC 188 pay-per-view event in Mexico City on Saturday. read news >>