Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Gets New Headliner, Full Card Announced

INVICTA FC announces 10-fight card for FIGHT PASS, September 12. Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the full 10-fight card for Invicta FC 14, which streams live and exclusively via read news >>

Bellator announces new signings, including former King of Pancrase

Bellator announced a pair of signings Monday, as the company brings a former King of Pancrase and a fighter from a familiar gym into the fold. Japanese standout Isao Kobayashi has been added to the f read news >>

UFC Saskatoon Fighter Bonuses: Frankie Perez Banks an Extra $50,000 in Retirement Fight

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira performance-based fighter bonuses following Sunday’s event in Saskatoon, Canada. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley Fight Announced for UFC 192 in Houston

Johny Hendricks and Tyron Woodley’s long awaited showdown has finally been made official, with the two welterweights set to square off on a loaded UFC 192 card on October 3 at the Toyota Center in Ho read news >>

Rousimar Palhares's manager reacts to WSOF's title-strip decision

"You cannot suspend somebody indefinitely," says Rousimar Palhares' manager. Yesterday, it was announced that reigning World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares had been stripp read news >>

Injury scraps UFC 192's targeted Leslie Smith vs. Raquel Pennington bout

Although not announced, a planned women’s bantamweight bout between Leslie Smith and Raquel Pennington has been scrapped as a possible UFC 192 addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Roger Huerta vs Koji Ando announced as ONE finalizes full fight card for 'Dynasty Of Champions'

ONE Championship recently announced the full line up for ONE: "Dynasty of Champions" in Beijing on Sept. 1, 2015. The organization's second event in China this year is set for the Mercedez-Benz Arena read news >>

UFC 190: Did Dana White Just Announce Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Retirement?

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has had an illustrious MMA career. It's not exactly breaking news, however, that that career has been in decline for several years now. Though Big Nog, 39, has long resisted read news >>

UFC 190 Fighter Bonuses: Ronda Rousey Earns an Extra $50,000 for 34-Second Win

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC 190 following the event in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>