UFC Welterweight Ricardo Almeida Announces His Retirement from MMA

• submit to reddit
Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

For the second time in nearly three years, UFC veteran Matt Hamill has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. more

Rory MacDonald responds to fellow top ranked UFC welterweight Tarec Saffiedine, who recently called him out. Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine is looking for another fight after successfully making his UFC debut earlier this year. He defeated Hyun Gyu Lim in an entertaining fight of the night performance, and as he looks for a top contender on his next bout, he recently called out Rory MacDonald. Related: UFC: Singapore: Saffiedine vs. Lim Photo Gallery "Rory looked prett more

Following a third-round TKO loss at the hands of Frankie Edgar Sunday night, BJ Penn decided to put an end to his UFC career. The 35-year-old legend announced the news inside the Octagon following The Ultimate Fighter 19 finale, and Fox Sports' Mike Chiappetta captured a quote: UFC president Dana White commented on the decision via MMAFighting.com: Penn finishes his career at 16-10-2 overall. Although, with five losses and a draw in his last seven fights, his final record doesn't exactly do him more

Prior to BJ Penn hanging up his gloves last night, his former opponent and fellow UFC legend Jens Pulver also confirmed his retirement this past weekend. B.J. Penn has decided to call it quits following a loss to rival Frankie Edgar on Sunday night, capping a hall-of-fame career that saw him win UFC titles in two weight divisions. Prior to the TUF 19 Finale though, Penn's former opponent and fellow UFC legend in Jens Pulver also decided to officially announce his retirement. "I did (compete at) more

On episode 46 of "The MMA Beat," the panel discuss the implications of cancelling UFC 176, BJ Penn's unceremonious retirement from the sport, whether Ronda Rousey is the Mike Tyson of MMA, Conor McGregor and more. more

UFC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis has been announced as newest member of Team Wheaties. The UFC has been making a concentrated effort to become as mainstream as possible. We're seeing a much more saturated market, strides toward global expansion, and big name corporate sponsorship. It wasn't too long ago that the acquisition of Bud Light and Harley Davidson sponsorships by the organization as a whole was big news. Recently though, we've seen athletes like Jon Jones, Anderson Silva and Jun more

On this week's edition of Shameless MMA, the guys talk with former MFC Champ turned UFC hopeful Sam Alvey. Also joining the show is American Top Team co-founder Ricardo Liborio. more

Thomas Almeida got what he wanted. The Chute Boxe bantamweight told MMAFighting.com last week that he wanted to knock Caio Machado out to win the Legacy FC 135-pound title and sign with the UFC, and that’s exactly what happened. According to sources close to the situation, he signed a deal with the UFC on Tuesday. MMA Premium first reported the news. Almeida stopped Machado with 33 seconds left in the first round to win the Legacy FC gold, improving to 17-0 in MMA with 17 finishes. He got past t more