Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Beyond the Octagon: UFC vets Curran, Camozzi, Voelker, and Spohn in the cage

MMA ironman Jeff Curran returns from an abbreviated retirement, plus UFC vets Chris Camozzi, Bobby Voelker, and Dan Spohn battle their way up the comeback trail. MMA has a funny way of pulling back i read news >>

UFC announces new broadcast partnership in the Czech Republic and Slovakia

The UFC announced new broadcast partnerships with NOVA Sport, which will televise events in the Czech Republic and Slovakia On Tuesday, the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced a new broadcast pa read news >>

UFC Fight Night 66: Mark Munoz announces retirement following Luke Barnatt fight in Manila

...win, lose or draw. Mark Munoz hasn't had the best run as of late. The longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran has dropped three straight first-round defeats inside the Octagon, most read news >>

After MMA retirement: Mac Danzig on training, financial struggles, UFC job, lawsuits

What’s life like after retiring from MMA? For UFC vet and “The Ultimate Fighter” champion Mac Danzig, it’s a struggle – both professionally and financially.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC announces upcoming summer dates in San Diego and Nashville

A pair of fight cards were announced during the UFC 185 prelims on FX. And the cities the Octagon is headed to are familiar. The UFC will make its third visit to San Diego, California on July 16, and read news >>

Josh Koscheck admits MMA is 'changing', but not ready to announce retirement after 5th straight UFC loss

Josh Koscheck says that MMA has evolved a lot from when he first started, but as he suffered his 5th straight defeat inside the UFC, he isn't ready to call it quits just yet. Josh Koscheck suffered h read news >>

UFC announces new Senior Vice President and General Manager of Brazil

Giovanni Decker has been announced as the UFC's new Senior Vice President and General Manager of Brazil. The executive has been in business for the last 23 years and said he is honored to be in the U read news >>

Brock Lesnar Signs New WWE Contract, Dana White Reacts to Star's UFC Retirement

Brock Lesnar announced Tuesday on ESPN that he would be re-signing with the WWE after rumors of contract talks with the UFC had been circling for months. UFC president Dana White weighed in on the si read news >>

Nick Catone retires from MMA after UFC on FOX 15 injury withdrawal

After only one fight since 2012, Nick Catone has announced his retirement from MMA competition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>