Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC GYM announces international expansion to Southeast Asia

UFC GYM, the fast-growing franchise that combines mixed martial arts (MMA) and fitness, announced the expansion of its global footprint into Vietnam with the opening of a new signature gym in Hanoi. read news >>

Daniel Cormier announces his next opponent for the UFC light heavyweight championship

Daniel Cormier has announced his next challenger for the UFC light heavyweight title. Find out who it is and when it goes down. read news >>

Conan O'Brien announces live that he's a part-owner of the UFC (Video)

Conan O'Brien announced live on his show that, thanks to the purchase by WME-IMG, he's a part-owner of the UFC. He also listed a tonof investors along with him.There has been no shortage of read news >>

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East | MMAWeekly.com

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Bellator MMA Announces Back-to-Back Events | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator announced the promotion’s first ever Friday/Saturday doubleheader event with Bellator 166 and Bellator 167 taking place on consecutive nights. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Announces He Has Left UFC: Latest Comments, Reaction

Georges St-Pierre announced on Monday's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he is no longer with UFC, per the show's producer, Eric Jackman. Jackman noted the fighter is a free agent after his lawye read news >>

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: 'I am a free agent'

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announced he is a free agent.On Monday, during an appearance on The MMA Hour, former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre announcedhe is no l read news >>

UFC Sacramento: Colby Covington Takes On Bryan Barberena

UFC Sacramento will feature the "Prospect Killer" Bryan Barberena taking on talented wrestler Colby Covington.The UFC officially announced the addition on their website.Out of the four figh read news >>

Frank Mir Moving to the Broadcast Booth This Weekend | MMAWeekly.com

Absolute Championship Berkut announced today that two-time UFC Heavyweight Champion of the World Frank Mir has joined the ACB commentary team. read news >>

Jordan Mein returns against Emil Meek at UFC 206

After a brief retirement, Jordan Mein has decided to return to the cage and he'll be facing Emil Meek at UFC 206 in Toronto.Back at the beginning of 2015, Jordan Mein faced Thiago Alves at UFC 1 read news >>