Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Mike “Quick” Swick Announces Retirement Following UFC 189 Loss

Mike “Quick” Swick announced his retirement from fighting following his UFC 189 loss to Alex Garcia via his Facebook page on Thursday. read news >>

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

• a day ago

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

ONE Championship Heats Up, Announces Blistering 2015 Schedule

ONE Championship announced the dates for six upcoming events, which will take place in six different cities this year. read news >>

Mike Swick, 'The Ultimate Fighter 1' cast member, retires from MMA

One of the last remaining cast members of ‘The Ultimate Fighter 1,' Mike Swick, announced his official retirement from mixed martial arts on Thursday. Swick (15-6) exits the sport at 36 years of age, read news >>

UFC veteran Mike Swick announces retirement following UFC 189 loss

Mike Swick, a 15-fight veteran of the UFC and one of the members of the original cast of “The Ultimate Fighter” has taken to social media to announce that he is retiring from the sport.Filed under: F read news >>

Mike Swick announces retirement from MMA: 'Everyone wants to go out on top'

Longtime UFC veteran Mike "Quick" Swick is hanging up the gloves for good after coming back from a 2.5 year layoff to lose to Alex Garcia at UFC 189. MMA is a tricky business to grow old in. Fighters read news >>

Imortal 2 announces one-night tournament, winner signs Invicta FC contract

Four fighters will battle for a contract with Invicta FC in August. Imortal Fight Championship announced a partnership with all-female promotion, and will host a one-night, four-woman strawweight tou read news >>

MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko reportedly mulling return to fighting (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Could Emelianenko come out of retirement for one more fight? He appears interested in a return. read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko Returning to MMA, Ends 3-Year Retirement

Fedor Emelianenko’s emotionless face was often the last thing his opponents saw before everything went black. The man is known by many names—The Last Emperor, legend, icon, destroyer. But for those w read news >>