Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

British MMA Figurehead Brad Pickett to Have Retirement Fight in London | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Scott Heavey/Zuffa LLC The UFC announced Brad “One Punch” Pickett will get the chance to bid a fond farewell to MMA in his hometown as the promotion returns to London’s O2 Arena on March 18t read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

UFC Middleweight Tim Kennedy Announces Retirement, Acknowledges Father Time | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy on Tuesday decided he will not fade away. While he hinted that Father Time may be catching up to him, he announced his retirement. read news >>

UFC strawweight Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger announces retirement

After coming up short in three UFC fights, former regional-show champ Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger is hanging up her gloves.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight contender, ex-Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy announces retirement

UFC 185-pound contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy is hanging up his gloves for good.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn’s Coach: ‘I’m Very Supportive of BJ Retiring’ | MMAWeekly.com

Former two-division UFC champ BJ Penn came out of retirement to fight rising star Yair Rodriguez, but is it time he call it quits for good? read news >>

UFC's 'Shogun' on retirement pressure: I'm experienced, but I'm also a young guy

Set to take on Gian Villante in the 35th scrap of his pro career, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua” said his losses shouldn’t have people immediately calling for him to hang up his gloves.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tim Kennedy's retirement from MMA competition

UFC middleweight contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy made his official exit from MMA today. See how social media reacted inside. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Four Bouts Announced for UFC London | MMAWeekly.com

UFC has added four more explosive bouts to the card set for The O2 in London. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson Announced for UFC 209

The UFC added another fight to the UFC 209 card, announcing Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson have agreed in principle to fight on March 4. "It’s happening," UFC President Dana White said Thursda read news >>