Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC and Snapchat announce partnership to produce global ‘Live Stories’

UFC announced a multi-year partnership with Snapchat through which the social media company will cover a selection of events via its ‘Live’ product. Fight fans at UFC events will have the opportunity read news >>

UFC and Snapchat Enter Multi-Year Social Media Partnership

UFC on Friday announced a multi-year partnership with Snapchat through which the social media company will cover a selection of events via its ‘Live’ product. read news >>

Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira Moved to UFC 202, Cowboy Cerrone vs. Rick Story Added to Fight Card

The UFC announced on Monday that the light heavyweight bout between contenders Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira, originally scheduled for July 23, will now be the UFC 202 co-main event. read news >>

Carlos Condit Foregoes Retirement to Fight Demian Maia at UFC 202

Carlos Condit has opted not to retire. He will instead face Demian Maia at UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2. read news >>

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Fighter Bonuses: Eddie Alvarez Earns More Than Just the Belt

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC Fight Night 90 during the event's post-fight press conference. read news >>

Michael Bisping to Face Dan Henderson in First Title Defense

UFC president Dana White announced on Saturday that middleweight champion Michael Bisping would face Dan Henderson in his first title defense. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson 2 Announced Following UFC 200

New UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is a very busy man, and his schedule just got even more crowded. Speaking to Fox Sports 1 on the UFC 200 post-fight show, UFC President Dana White announ read news >>

After Weeks of Denials, UFC Sale Announced by New Owners WME-IMG

Following reports on Sunday night of the UFC being sold to WME-IMG for $4 billion, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's new ownership made its own announcement Monday morning confirming the sale: WME read news >>