The American Fight League is promising the “greatest MMA card in Kentucky history,” and the organization has booked UFC vets Rory Singer, Dan Christison, Diego Saraiva and Junior Assuncao for the event.
The show takes place Friday at the legendary Rupp Arena, home the University of Kentucky, in downtown Lexington, Ky.
Doors for “AFL: ERUPPTION” open at 7 p.m., and the event kicks off at 8 p.m. Tickets, which range from just $25-$50, are available at Ticketmaster.
Singer (11-7 MMA, 2-2 UFC), a cast member from “The Ultimate Fighter 3,” had UFC victories over Ross Pointon and Josh Haynes before recent losses to Yushin Okami and Jason MacDonad. He takes on IFO and King of the Cage vet Chilo Gonzalez (13-10).
Saraiva (10-6-1 MMA, 0-3 UFC), who last competed for the UFC in September during a loss to Jeremy Stephens, takes on Joe Ammerman (2-0) for the AFL’s lightweight title.
In addition to those two pro bouts, veteran fighter and “The Ultimate Fighter 2? competitor Christison (10-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC), who’s also competed for the IFL and WEC, takes on eight-year veteran heavyweight John LeBlanc (1-7).
Additionally, Assuncao (5-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who posted a UFC victory over David Lee with losses to Kurt Pellegrino and Nate Diaz, takes on WFC fighter Steve Sharp (4-3).
Friday’s full card includes:
- Diego Saraiva vs. Joe Ammerman (for AFL lightweight championship)
- Junior Assuncao vs. Steve Sharp
- Rory Singer vs. Chilo Gonzalez
- Dan Christison vs. John LeBlanc
- Allen Browning vs. Dustin Walden
- George Lockhart vs. T.J. Cook
- Rafael Assuncao vs. Aaron Williams
- Doug Lima vs. Cody Senseney
- Brandon Yocum vs. Brian Keller (for AFL amateur middleweight championship)
- Jason Jones vs. Josh Ball
- Ryan Jones vs. Mike Baskis
For more information, check out www.americanfightleague.com.
(Touch of gloves: MMAjunkie.com reader “twizted203?)