Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

From Around the Web

UFC on FOX 15 winner Beneil Dariush leaves 'the entertainment stuff' to the UFC

Beneil Dariush ran his winning streak to four with his unanimous decision victory over Jim Miller at UFC on FOX 15. The win over Miller was arguably the biggest of the 25-year-old’s young career.File read news >>

Sam Toomer Keeping Things in Perspective Heading into RFA 25 Title Fight

Undefeated Sam Toomer is staying grounded and keeping things in perspective heading into his RFA 25 title fight against Justin Lawrence. read news >>

Taisumov vs. Patrick Bout Heading to Berlin

Winner of six of his last seven, Mairbek Taisumov will look to keep his positive momentum going on June 20 when he faces unbeaten Brazilian Alan Patrick in a clash of lightweight prospects at the O2 read news >>

Pawlak All Business before Krakow Bout

Pawel Pawlak’s confidence is not wavering in the slightest heading into the UFC’s first event in Poland this Saturday, not even with the prospect of a main card slot in his home country against Sheld read news >>

Poirier Heading to NOLA to Face Medeiros

Fresh from a successful return to the lightweight division last Saturday in Fairfax, Dustin Poirier will get a return home to Louisiana on June 6 when he meets Yancy Medeiros at the Smoothie King Cen read news >>

Heading into Bellator Title Fight, Dave Jansen Sees It as Tank vs. Go-Kart

Dave Jansen is a tank in the cage, and he sees his tank rolling over Bellator champion Will Brooks' go-kart on Friday night. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 event in Fairfax, Va., several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out thos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 Results: Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 64

UFC Fight Night 63 is in the books. The results are as follows: Chad Mendes defeats Ricardo Lamas by TKO at 2:45 of the first round Al Iaquinta defeats Jorge Masvidal by split decision (29-28, 27-30, read news >>

5 for Fighting: Intriguing storylines heading into UFC Fight Night 63

The UFC returns to the Patriot Center for the first time in three years for UFC Fight Night 63. Go inside each storyline prior to the card in Fairfax, Virginia today (Sat., April 4, 2015). The Ultima read news >>