Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Gegard Mousasi on Uriah Hall Rematch: ‘It’s Time for Payback’ | MMAWeekly.com

Fifth-ranked Gegard Mousasi is riding a three-fight winning streak. His one loss in his last six fights came to Uriah Hall, but he has the chance at payback. read news >>

Fighting octagon newcomer, UFC Fight Night 99's Magnus Cedenblad says 'names are overrated'

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Despite a four-fight winning streak in the UFC middleweight division, Magnus Cedenblad said he isn’t particularly concerned with the fact he’s fighting a promotional newco read news >>

Raufeon Stots Heads into Victory FC 53 Ready for the World | MMAWeekly.com

Riding an undefeated streak, Raufeon Stots heads into Wednesday's Victory FC 53 ready to take on the world. read news >>

Relive Max Holloway's Win Over Ricardo Lamas (UFC 206 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway extended his winning streak to nine fights at UFC 199. He looks to push it to double digits and become interim featherweight champion at UFC 206. read news >>

UFC 205 preliminary-card pre-fight facts: Khabib Nurmagomedov looks to extend epic winning streak

UFC 205 is hands down the most stacked event in UFC history – so much so that the preliminary card for Saturday’s event is worthy of its own pre-fight facts showcase.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Decimates Michael Johnson (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Second-ranked lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov extended his unbeaten streak to 24 fights on Saturday when he decimated sixth-ranked Michael Johnson at UFC 205. read news >>

UFC 205 results: Yoel Romero unleashes vicious knee on Chris Weidman for bloody TKO

NEW YORK – Heading into the final round, Yoel Romero’s corner told him that he likely needed a finish against Chris Weidman. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Pretends to Apologize After Winning 2nd Title at UFC 205

Conor McGregor faced the toughest opponent of his career at UFC 205 and posted what may have been his most dominant win to date. Opposite now-former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, McGregor lande read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Conor McGregor and UFC 205's other winning fighters?

UFC 205 was a historic event for the company, and for good reason. It was arguably its most stacked fight card to date.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>