Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Timothy Johnson vs. Jared Rosholt added to UFC Fight Night 74

Timothy Johnson will look to run his winning streak to nine when he takes on Jared Rosholt August 8 in Nashville, Tenn.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum believes Javier Mendez is lacking confidence heading into UFC 188

MEXICO CITY -- Fabricio Werdum talks about his UFC 188 heavyweight title fight against Cain Velasquez, his verbal jabs leading up to the fight, why he thinks Velasquez's coach is lacking confidence a read news >>

Neil Magny vs. Demian Maia set for UFC 190 in Brazil

Neil Magny will look to extend his impressive seven-fight octagon winning streak when he meets Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia at UFC 190.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zorobabel Moreira determined to get back to winning ways at ONE: 'Dynasty of Champions'

Zorobabel Moreira was one of the most popular fighters to emerge during ONE Championship's early years (when it was known as ONE FC). He was featured on four of the first six cards and it was a major read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 Results: Burning Questions Heading into UFC 188

UFC Fight Night 68 is in the books. The results are as follows (courtesy of Bleacher Report's play-by-play kingpin, Craig Amos): UFC Fight Night 68 Main Card Dan Henderson def. Tim Boetsch, TKO (Roun read news >>

Interview: UFC Fight Night 68's Matt Mitrione out for bonus-winning victory over Ben Rothwell tonight ... and beers

Former football player Matt Mitrione is rocketing up UFC's Heavyweight ladder. Find out what "Meathead" had to say prior to his heavyweight showdown with one-time IFL competitor "Big" Ben Rothwell at read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Gegard Mousasi calls out Vitor Belfort again

Gegard Mousasi called out Vitor Belfort. After winning against Costas Philippou at UFC: Manila, Gegard Mousasi campaigned for a bout at the promotion's event in Japan later this year. After a hilario read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Jon Fitch on UFC lawsuit move: We'll fight the devil in his hometown

Jon Fitch responds to the UFC winning its motion to transfer the case to their hometown of Nevada. The UFC recently had a small victory on the on-going antitrust lawsuit filed against them, with a fe read news >>

On three fight win streak, Jussier Formiga believes it's 'his time' to fight for the title

Jussier Formiga thinks he has done enough to warrant a title shot against Demetrious Johnson after his unanimous decision win over Wilson Reis at UFC Fight Night 67. Jussier Formiga just made put tog read news >>