Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bellator 137 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants biggest names in welterweight division

TEMECULA, Calif. – Fernando Gonzalez believes his four-fight Bellator MMA winning streak should be enough to earn a welterweight title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 65 event in Australia, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those r read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 Results: Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 66

UFC Fight Night 65 is in the books. The results are as follows (results c/o Bleacher Report's live blogger, Craig Amos): Fight Night 65 Main Card Stipe Miocic def. Mark Hunt, TKO (Round 5, 2:47) Robe read news >>

Bonus Watch! Potential UFC Fight Night 65 award winners tonight on Fight Pass

UFC rumbles into Australia with a four-fight main card tonight (May 9, 2015) that's expected to produce fireworks. Which of the four have a chance to produce a performance bonus winner? Let's specula read news >>

Stipe Miocic: ‘I Can Beat Anybody in the World’ (Video)

Forth-ranked heavyweight Stipe Miocic says he can beat anybody in the world heading into his UFC Fight Night 65 bout against fifth-ranked Mark Hunt on May 10. read news >>

'Chopper' Chi Lewis-Parry on winning GLORY title: 'I'm going to take that gold and laugh'

"Chopper" says he will win the GLORY 21 "qualifier" tournament, then win the "contender" tournament, and eventually defeat Rico Verhoeven for the GLORY heavyweight title. The 6' 9" former basketball read news >>

Brad Pickett vs. Thomas Almeida Added to UFC 189

Undefeated Thomas Almeida (19-0) will try to extend his unbeaten streak to 20 consecutive fights when he takes on Brad Pickett (24-10) at UFC 189 on July 11. read news >>

Cris Cyborg responds to Marina Shafir’s comments: ‘She needs to start winning’

Is Marina Shafir the one to beat Cris Cyborg? Right after signing with Invicta FC, Shafir told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that she still has to "earn" the right to fight the In read news >>

Mayweather-Pacquiao live updates: Who is winning the fight right now?

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are headlining a pay-per-view (PPV) event this evening (Sat., May 2, 2015) that is being dubbed, "The Fight of the Century." We have delivered wall-to-wall coverag read news >>