Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Ronda Rousey Doesn't Care About Anything but Winning at UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey says she's laser-focused on crushing Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207 and doesn't care about anything else, the money, the media, or her image. read news >>

Headed to UFC 207 fight week as a fan? It's slim pickings for pre-event activities

If you’re heading to UFC 207 this week, don’t expect much in the way of pre-event activities.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: 'Ronda Rousey is Psychotically Competitive' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White says Ronda Rousey is like the old Ronda again heading into UFC 207. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

UFC 207 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into 2017

UFC 207 is in the books. The results are as follows: Amanda Nunes def. Ronda Rousey by KO at 0:48 of the first round Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz by unanimous decision (48-46, 48-47, 48-46) T.J. read news >>

Watch UFC Fight Night 103 co-headliner Joe Lauzon decimate Diego Sanchez at UFC 200

Joe Lauzon was in a bonus funk heading into UFC 200. There’s no other way to put it. Watch how he came out of it inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Motivated John Moraga not bothered by pressure heading into UFC Fight Night 103

PHOENIX – It’s been an up-and-down road for former UFC flyweight title challenger John Moraga since he lost his shot at the belt three and a half years ago.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 event in Phoenix, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to th read news >>

John Lineker: 'This is My Time Now' (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight contender John Lineker says it's his time heading into his UFC 207 bout against former champion TJ Dillashaw. read news >>