Forrest PetzShortly after suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC in 2010, welterweight Forrest Petz knew things needed to change.

“I had a fight right after I was cut from the UFC and won, but it really wasn’t very impressive,” said Petz. “I just kind of felt like I was stuck in this rut and went back to the drawing board.”

Petz hooked up with a former boxing coach and was able to turn things around.

“My technique just kind of deteriorated boxing-wise,” he told “I was never really a finesse guy in the first place, but I had lost my power.

“I was able to get my feet back under me and it came back. My next three opponents, I knocked them out, and I think that’s due a lot to improvements in my technique under my boxing coach.”

Petz is now riding a four-fight winning streak, including his debut for the Score Fighting Series in March where he beat Sergej Juskevic via TKO half way into the second round of their fight.

“It was a real good, tough, back-and-forth fight that I won with pressure,” said Petz. “He was able to put me down in the first round, but once I recovered, I just kept coming and you could see it wore him down.

“It’s the kind of style that I feel is going to benefit me; I’ve been around this game a long time and I have some of the durability. I’ve been put down on the canvas before and I’ve survived to get back on there and stay on track.”

Petz feels his ability to stay in the fight will play into his return to Score on Friday in Hamilton, Ontario, against former Strikeforce fighter Jordan Mein.

“He’s a real tough, well-rounded guy, and even though he’s young, he has just as much experience as I do,” said Petz of Mein. “I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know what I’ve got to do, and as long as I stick to my strategy, I should come out on top in this fight.

“I believe I can pressure this guy and take what he gives me.”

A win over Mein could cap off what Petz feels is his best year to date. And Petz feels that now is definitely the time if he’s going to make one more run at the top.

“I’m not getting any younger,” said Petz. “I’ve been in the UFC and stuff, but my career never really turned out the way I wanted it to.

“I’m the best I’ve ever been right now and I feel like if I can beat a guy like Jordan, it’s a pretty good achievement. I believe it can put me back on the map. I don’t want to leave anything on the table. When I’m done fighting I don’t want to think of how things could have been.”

Stay tuned to for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Smolka not content being just a 'contender'

Louis Smolka still dwells on his loss in 2014. Now, riding a four-fight win streak, Smolka is not content just being a contender. He wants to be one of the best of all time. read news >>

How Did Michael Bisping React When Dana White Said, 'You're Fighting Dan Henderson'? (video) |

Still hungover from winning a UFC title, how did Michael Bisping react when he was told his first defense would be a rematch with Dan Henderson? read news >>

Renan Barao Hungry Again Heading into UFC Brasilia |

Longtime bantamweight king Renan Barao moved up to 145 pounds because the weight cut was affecting his performance at bantamweight. read news >>

Video: Watch Vicente Luque score brutal knockout of Hector Urbina at UFC Fight Night 95

Vicente Luque was a heavy favorite heading into his bout with Hector Urbina at UFC Fight Night 95. When fans expect you to leave the cage after having your hand raised, the best way to stand out is s read news >>

Renan Barao Decisions Phillipe Nover at UFC Brasilia |

Former bantamweight champ Renan Barao snapped a two-fight losing streak on Saturday, defeating Phillipe Nover in the UFC Fight Night Brasilia co-main event . read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 96

UFC Fight Night 95 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card on Fox Sports 1 (10 p.m. ET) Cris Cyborg def. Lina Lansberg, TKO (Round 2, 2:29) Renan Barao def. Phillipe Nover, unanimous d read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for 'Cyborg' and UFC Fight Night 95's other winning fighters?

With UFC Fight Night 95 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured V read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 event in Brasilia, Brazil, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to r read news >>

Mandy Polk Leveraging Her Competitive Fitness Background Heading into V3 Fights |

Mandy Polk hopes to leverage her competitive fitness background to ensure her success at V3 Fights on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Portland: FOX Sports 1 Main Card Staff Predictions

UFC Portland brings a rare four-fight main card to FOX Sports 1, and Cage Pages has their predictions ready for tonight's event.UFC Portland was hit hard by injuries, but the crucial bantamweigh read news >>