UFC Signs Bellator Middleweight Champ Hector Lombard



Reigning Bellator Fighting Championships middleweight titleholder Hector Lombard announced Tuesday afternoon that he has officially signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Lombard revealed the news on Twitter and Sherdog.com confirmed the information with a source close to the situation shortly thereafter.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told Sherdog last week that he and his team had received a copy of the UFC’s offer to Lombard and would decide soon whether to match the terms of that contract. Lombard’s deal with Bellator expired earlier this year, and the fighter was in the midst of a period wherein he could elicit offers from other promotions. However, as Lombard was not an unrestricted free agent, Bellator still held the right to match any offer and retain the services of the muscular middleweight.

It is unknown when Lombard will make his UFC debut, though the fighter has been out of the cage since Nov. 19, when he smashed Trevor Prangley in a non-title affair at Bellator 58. A native of Cuba, Lombard has not been defeated since 2006, his two career losses coming to Gegard Mousasi and Akihiro Gono in the Pride ring.

Since his loss to Mousasi, Lombard has rattled off 24 wins in 25 outings, with a 2007 draw to Kyle Noke marking the middleweight’s only blemish in that span. The 34-year-old joined Bellator in 2009, winning the promotion’s inaugural middleweight championship and successfully defending it the following year against Season 2 tournament winner Alexander Shlemenko. The American Top Team export ends his Bellator career with a perfect promotional record, having posted eight wins during his three years with the organization.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 14 views

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard feared the worst after a neck injury suffered in training. Now, he tells MMAjunkie, he’s working toward a comeback and trying to rebrand himself with a new nickname an read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

Hector Lombard was on the rise in the UFC's welterweight division before an injury forced him to the sidelines earlier this year. The fighter, now known as “Showeather,” is prepping for a return to t read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

Stephan Bonnar's fighting career isn't over just yet.In a somewhat surprising move, Bonnar, a UFC Hall of Famer, has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA, according to promotion officials. Bon read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC Hall of Famer Stephan Bonnar has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA, and in addition to fighting, he could do some commentary work.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC President Dana White said a potential welterweight fight between Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard is a go – if Woodley agrees. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight contender Tyron Woodley recently called out Matt "The Immortal" Brown, but it appears the UFC has different plans for T-Wood. Speaking with UFC.com, UFC President Dana White revealed read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 1 views

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with guests Hector Lombard and Kenny Monday.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 14 views

Hector Lombard has already agreed to a fight against fellow Top 10 welterweight Tyron Woodley, according to UFC President Dana White. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 22 views

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - UFC president Dana White was looking to book Hector Lombard vs. Tyron Woodley as the headliner for a December show in Australia. According to the UFC president, Lombard, the form read news >>