UFC, Quebec Commission Agree to UFC 97 Rules


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Montreal will get its “Redemption.”

UFC 97 will take place as scheduled at the Bell Centre in Montreal on April 18, after the promoters met with Québécois officials on Tuesday and hashed out acceptable rules for the event.

Regie des Alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ), the government agency that oversees combat sports in Quebec, posted a press release on Wednesday stating that the UFC would receive a license to hold the event, but gave no details regarding any revised rules, if any.

“During our meeting, the Regie received assurances by the promoter that the security of the participants will be assured and that the regulation on the fight sports will be respected at the time of the event,” read the RACJ release.

Quebec Boxing Commission representative Daniele Gagnon told Sherdog.com that no further comment would be issued by the commission or the RACJ on Wednesday.

Rejean Theriault, communications director for the RACJ, announced last week that the provincial agency would uphold previously unrecognized regulations for the sport which prohibited elbow and knee strikes, and asked referees to intervene each time a fighter was knocked down. The rules were drafted for “mixed boxing” in the early 1990s, and severely handicap what fans recognize today as mixed martial arts.

MMA events have been hosted in the province for nearly ten years under rules comparable to the unified rules of combat, but a recent change in leadership at the commission led to a re-evaluation of the system. Theriault said the RACJ was unaware that the commission’s previous head, Mario LaTraverse, has allowed promoters to deviate from the Quebec regulations in place.

Officials were hard-pressed to make the decision after a Titans Fighting (formerly Strikebox) event on Feb. 6 in Montreal ended in near-riot regarding confusion over the rules.

Richard Renault, who replaced LaTraverse, was among those who called for a more stringent application of the regulations on the books.

UFC 97, which pits middleweight champion Anderson Silva against jiu-jitsu ace Thales Leites, sold nearly 13,000 tickets in the first few minutes, said UFC officials last week. The promotion’s previous trip to Montreal for UFC 83 last April sold 20,011 tickets, a record for the promotion and the sport in North America.

Lotfi Sariahmed contributed to this report.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 35 views

20-year old Paige VanZant talks about her unusual road to the Octagon Paige VanZant's dreams of competing for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) were put on ice after she was rejected from trying out for season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which features women vying to become the first-ever UFC strawweight champion. But it wasn't because of a lack of skills, but rather for being too young, as the 20 year old was just one year too short of meeting the age requirement. Thanks a lot, alcohol more

  • 25 days ago
  • 33 views

After two UFC Fight Night events on Saturday, the organization returns to pay-per-view next week with the stacked UFC 175 lineup. Check out a teaser of the official preview show.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

  • 24 days ago
  • 52 views

Sounds like Montreal mixed martial arts fans will have to wait a little longer for the UFC's return to the Bell Centre. Tom Wright, the managing director for UFC operations in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, said at the UFC Fight Night 43 post-fight press conference that the promotion will "most likely" move the scheduled Dec. 6 pay-per-view event in Montreal to March 2015. No specific date was announced and Wright didn't provide a reason for the decision. The UFC hasn't held an event in Mont more

  • 24 days ago
  • 23 views

AUCKLAND, New Zealand – What looked like a well-planned 2014 for the UFC’s Canadian team is now anything but, as a pair of shows intended for the country are no longer sure things.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 24 days ago
  • 45 views

Following the conclusion of the New Zealand Fight Night card, Tom Wright revealed that the promotion was still securing a location for the UFC 178 card in September, and had officially moved the Montreal date from December to March 2015. According to Tom Wright, Toronto is far from a lock for UFC 178. The UFC's Managing Director of Operations in Canada, Australia and New Zealand made it clear that while the promotion was still looking for a location to host UFC 178, they were still considering T more

  • 23 days ago
  • 56 views

Oh, Canada. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is coming back to Montreal ... eventually. The world's largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion today revealed a new date for its return to the Bell Centre in Quebec, Canada. Originally penciled in for Dec. 2014, Managing Director for UFC Operations Tom Wright informed media members at the UFC Fight Night 43 post-fight press conference (watch it) that it was now March of 2015. Sorry 'bout that. It could be that UFC is waiting for a big-money fig more

  • 23 days ago
  • 44 views

As a reminder, “Countdown to UFC 175,” the latest installment of the UFC’s official preview show, debuts tonight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

  • 23 days ago
  • 62 views

Cub Swanson recently told MMAjunkie he doesn’t necessarily want to wait for a title shot if it means another extended layoff. If true, at least one fellow contender is interested in a matchup.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

  • 23 days ago
  • 30 views

Aaron Phillips is dropping from featherweight to bantamweight for a UFC Fight Night 49 matchup with Matt Hobar.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more