UFC President Dana White Nixes Lyoto Machida vs. Nick Diaz; Calls it a “Bad Idea”


Nick Diaz UFC 53 478x270A proposed middleweight bout between former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida and former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz appears to be off the table.

After revealing to UFC Tonight earlier this week that he wanted to match up Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida at middleweight as the UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks co-main event in November, UFC president Dana White shifted gears.

While Machida’s camp warmed to the Belfort fight, Belfort has been reluctant to take any non-title fight in the middleweight division. So White turned to Diaz as a potential opponent for Machida.

The bout would have marked Diaz’s move up from 170 pounds and Machida’s drop down from the 205-pound division.

White now appears to have nixed the idea.

“It was a bad idea, the Diaz vs. Machida thing,” White told reporters following the UFC Fight Night 26 post-fight press conference on Saturday night in Boston.

“Diaz didn’t turn it down… there’s other things going on with Diaz.”

White declined to go until detail, but indicated he felt it was a bad idea on the UFC’s part to even offer the fight to Diaz.

Machida in the meantime has shifted his focus to Chael Sonnen, who submitted Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in Saturday night’s main event.

“Since @vitorbelfort hasn’t accepted our fight, I am sure that @danawhite can match me against @sonnench,” Machida tweeted shortly after Sonnen’s victory.

White on Saturday night didn’t propose any new options for Sonnen, Machida or Diaz.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 23 days ago
  • 120 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was hospitalized on Monday with severe back pain. In sudden and dramatic fashion, Anderson Silva found himself hospitalized with severe back pain follo read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 4 views

On Thursday, Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White revealed that a civil lawsuit against Anthony Johnson has been dismissed, thus allowing the light heavyweight to resume fighting immed read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC President Dana White offered his thoughts on the declining PPV numbers in 2014. The significant decline in pay-per-view revenue is hardly a new discussion in MMA circles. Over the past few years, read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC President Dana White discusses the exciting featherweight division and why he hasn’t selected a No. 1 contender for champ Jose Aldo yet. Although Jose Aldo may have reigned supreme over the feath read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

MEXICO CITY – UFC President Dana White has long discussed his desire to take the world’s largest MMA organization to Mexico. On the eve of that dream becoming a reality, is Mexico as excited to play read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 26 views

UFC President Dana White has clarified recent comments that he could strip UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez of his belt, but the titleholder said he “doesn’t care” about the strap anyway.Filed read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 0 views

If UFC President Dana White's hunch proves correct, MMA fans will see the promotion's former welterweight champion, Georges "Rush" St-Pierre, back inside the Octagon sooner than later. During the UFC read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC President Dana White has again hinted former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar might be interested in making a return to the octagon once his WWE obligations end.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 0 views

The UFC president is confident that his prodigal welterweight superstar will return to the Octagon. Long-time UFC Welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre renounced his belt and walked away from the spor read news >>

Jump to: