UFC Pres Dana White Says Condit vs. Diaz 2 Set


Always expect the unexpected, or so the saying goes.

Just when it appeared that Carlos Condit was willing to sit out for several months and wait for Georges St-Pierre to get healthy… well, that’s not going to happen.

Condit instead has agreed to an immediate rematch with Nick Diaz, according to tweets by UFC president Dana White on Tuesday evening.

“That rematch can happen later on in the future. No one’s afraid of Nick, but we have to do what’s best for his career and in my opinion and the people around me and the advice that we’ve been taking, the best fight and the only fight is Georges St-Pierre,” Condit’s manager, Malki Kawa told MMAWeekly.com earlier in the day on Tuesday.

But a lot changed from the time Kawa spoke with MMAWeekly.com and Tuesday evening. Not least of which was an apparent sweetening of the pot for Condit to put his newly earned interim UFC welterweight title back on the block against Diaz.

No details of the rematch or the agreement to make it happen have surfaced, but the promotion on Tuesday did reveal that UFC on Fox 4 is slated for Aug. 4 in Los Angeles. That event is going to need some star power, so it isn’t out of the realm that Condit vs. Diaz II might be tapped for that event. There are also a number of other pay-per-view events on tap from May to August that could utilize the bout as a headliner.

But for now, it’s unclear when and where the fight will land, although White and Kawa both tweeted that Kawa and Condit will be in Las Vegas on Friday for an announcement.

“I didn’t feel like it was all that close. I felt like I dominated almost every round,” said Condit following Saturday night’s initial meeting. Now we’ll get to see if he can do it again.

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 51 views

The manager for the younger Diaz Brother was a guest on Submission Radio and updated fans on various fights the Nate Diaz camp has asked for and the status of negotiations with the UFC. Following an read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 452 views

UFC President Dana White wants to clear the air in the UFC's light heavyweight division. The title picture unfolded like this: First, 205-pound champion Jon "Bones" Jones was scheduled to face Alexan read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 55 views

But that's how he makes a living, so he doesn't have much choice. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White was finally able to lure former welterweight number one contender Nick Diaz read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 160 views

Check out BloodyElbow.com's UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Le Photo Gallery, which featured media scrums, stare downs, and a Q&A from Ronda Rousey and Dana White. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 3 views

MACAU – UFC President Dana White is optimistic Nate Diaz will soon return to the octagon, but discussions regarding a potential fight are still far apart, he said. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC President Dana White and Nate Diaz appear to have taken a first step towards repairing their frayed working relationship, as White revealed on Saturday that he hashed things out with the disgrunt read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 9 views

White likes Diaz, but this isn't personal, it's business. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White finally got some alone time with Nate Diaz, in an attempt to mend fences with the b read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC president Dana White met with the media following UFC Fight Night 48: Bisping vs. Le on Saturday to discuss all things UFC, including updates on Gina Carano, Nate Diaz, and more. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 69 views

Watch Dana White field questions from the assembled media in Macau, China earlier today after the UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Le event. read news >>