UFC Pres Dana White Says Condit vs. Diaz 2 Set


Always expect the unexpected, or so the saying goes.

Just when it appeared that Carlos Condit was willing to sit out for several months and wait for Georges St-Pierre to get healthy… well, that’s not going to happen.

Condit instead has agreed to an immediate rematch with Nick Diaz, according to tweets by UFC president Dana White on Tuesday evening.

“That rematch can happen later on in the future. No one’s afraid of Nick, but we have to do what’s best for his career and in my opinion and the people around me and the advice that we’ve been taking, the best fight and the only fight is Georges St-Pierre,” Condit’s manager, Malki Kawa told MMAWeekly.com earlier in the day on Tuesday.

But a lot changed from the time Kawa spoke with MMAWeekly.com and Tuesday evening. Not least of which was an apparent sweetening of the pot for Condit to put his newly earned interim UFC welterweight title back on the block against Diaz.

No details of the rematch or the agreement to make it happen have surfaced, but the promotion on Tuesday did reveal that UFC on Fox 4 is slated for Aug. 4 in Los Angeles. That event is going to need some star power, so it isn’t out of the realm that Condit vs. Diaz II might be tapped for that event. There are also a number of other pay-per-view events on tap from May to August that could utilize the bout as a headliner.

But for now, it’s unclear when and where the fight will land, although White and Kawa both tweeted that Kawa and Condit will be in Las Vegas on Friday for an announcement.

“I didn’t feel like it was all that close. I felt like I dominated almost every round,” said Condit following Saturday night’s initial meeting. Now we’ll get to see if he can do it again.

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 12 views

While Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson may fight each other at some point, it won’t be in their next bouts.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 27 views

UFC president Dana White still hasn't given up hope of a superfight between Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre. It seems the the elusive superfight that was never able to come together still might read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 3 views

There was a period, way back in early 2009, when Carlos Condit was the World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) welterweight champion. That's right around the same time when Thiago Alves was the Ultimate Fig read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 4 views

Approaching a year since his last fight, UFC welterweight contender Carlos Condit has set a target date for his return to the Octagon, and has sought out a specific opponent. It's been almost a full read news >>

  • 14 hours ago
  • 2 views

After UFC 184, all anyone can talk about is Ronda Rousey vs. Cris Cyborg. The problem, UFC pres Dana White said, is Cyborg's gotta cut the weight. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

Vitor Belfort wants an interim UFC middleweight title shot. Or wait a minute, maybe he doesn’t. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 6 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship has been scrambling to find someone to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 184 next month, but apparently “The Phenom” is being picky. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC President Dana White said his phone started ringing as soon as middleweight champion Chris Weidman (12-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) withdrew from next month’s UFC 184. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

Carlos Condit talks about the state of the welterweight division, and his target return date this May. read news >>