Ulysses Gomez“Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.”

-Napoleon Hill

In this life we all make hard choices to fulfill our dreams along the way, and for one Ulysses “Useless” Gomez it’s no different.

When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva made the call to Gomez to face John Moraga at UFC on Fox 4 on short-notice, the 29-year-old knew he had to put his life on hold.  Gomez had to make the hard choice of not being around his newborn son and leave him with his parents.

The former Tachi Palace Fights champion knows, though, with great sacrifice comes great reward.  Should he win, he’ll be able to provide a better future for his son and fulfill his lifelong dream of competing in the Octagon.

“It’s kind of hard because I just had my son and I have such a short time to train for this fight,” Gomez told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I kind of had to pawn off my son to my parents, so he’s been staying at my parents since I pretty much got word of the fight.  I don’t like that fact, but at the same time if I know that I’m going to take time away from him it’s going to be for a reason.  I don’t get to see him as much, and I know that me going out there that I’m going to be able to get him a better future.”

Despite the short notice and the heartache, the flyweight plans to make the most out of his UFC debut. Gomez realizes that come fight time he’s not going to freeze up. Being away from his son has only further motivated him to do well.

“I’m going to make the most of my experience.  I’m going to go out there and I’m not going to let the fact I’m fighting in the UFC paralyze me and just motivate me.  If you give me an inch, I’m going to take it a yard,” he promised.

“I never took a short-notice fight, so it’s kind of lingering in the back of my mind, but the same time I’m a fighter, you know?  It doesn’t matter if they call me on a day’s notice or a year’s notice.  Either guy can train 10 weeks and get knocked out in the first minute of the fight.”

In the end, Gomez has no regrets and would’ve taken the fight no matter how much time Joe Silva would’ve said he had to prepare. It’s moments like these that come once in a lifetime, and at UFC on Fox 4 on Saturday, Gomez will be ready to make the most of it.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC on FOX 19

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 event in Florida, which marks the organization’s return to network TV.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

The UFC returned to Tampa, Florida, for UFC on Fox 19 on Saturday with a night full of fun and excitement. In the main event, Glover Teixeira made quick work of former light heavyweight champion Rash read news >>

The 3 stars of 'UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira vs. Evans' in Tampa

The UFC plans to stage more than 40 events in 2016, and during that time, hundreds of fighters will enter and exit the octagon. While pre-fight hype is an enjoyable aspect of the sport, it’s ultimate read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

5 Takeaways from UFC on FOX 19: 155 Belongs to Khabib Nurmagomedov

UFC on FOX 19 showed us a few things and we listed them out for you here. read news >>

8 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 19, from a lonely place to a few bold requests

The MMA world will soon shift its attention to this week’s big UFC 197 event, with two title fights on the op of the card. But first, let’s take some time to reflect back on what took place at UFC on read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC 197's title doubleheader

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC 197 event, which marks the organization’s return to pay-per-view.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 salaries: Ex-champ Rashad Evans earns top payout despite loss

Despite a quick knockout loss to former title challenger Glover Teixeira at UFC on FOX 19, ex-UFC champ Rashad Evans picked up the highest disclosed pay this past Saturday’s FOX-televised card.xFiled read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Fighter Salaries: Rashad Evans Tops Payroll, Despite Knockout Loss

Glover Teixiera may have scored a first-round knockout at UFC on FOX 19, but the man he KO'd, Rashad Evans, topped the fighter payroll. read news >>

What really mattered at UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira's knockout, Rose's big win

If you missed Saturday’s UFC event, here’s what really mattered at UFC on FOX 19. UFC on FOX 19 took place at Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. The event aired on FOX following early prelims on UFC Fight P read news >>