Ulysses Gomez“Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.”

-Napoleon Hill

In this life we all make hard choices to fulfill our dreams along the way, and for one Ulysses “Useless” Gomez it’s no different.

When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva made the call to Gomez to face John Moraga at UFC on Fox 4 on short-notice, the 29-year-old knew he had to put his life on hold.  Gomez had to make the hard choice of not being around his newborn son and leave him with his parents.

The former Tachi Palace Fights champion knows, though, with great sacrifice comes great reward.  Should he win, he’ll be able to provide a better future for his son and fulfill his lifelong dream of competing in the Octagon.

“It’s kind of hard because I just had my son and I have such a short time to train for this fight,” Gomez told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I kind of had to pawn off my son to my parents, so he’s been staying at my parents since I pretty much got word of the fight.  I don’t like that fact, but at the same time if I know that I’m going to take time away from him it’s going to be for a reason.  I don’t get to see him as much, and I know that me going out there that I’m going to be able to get him a better future.”

Despite the short notice and the heartache, the flyweight plans to make the most out of his UFC debut. Gomez realizes that come fight time he’s not going to freeze up. Being away from his son has only further motivated him to do well.

“I’m going to make the most of my experience.  I’m going to go out there and I’m not going to let the fact I’m fighting in the UFC paralyze me and just motivate me.  If you give me an inch, I’m going to take it a yard,” he promised.

“I never took a short-notice fight, so it’s kind of lingering in the back of my mind, but the same time I’m a fighter, you know?  It doesn’t matter if they call me on a day’s notice or a year’s notice.  Either guy can train 10 weeks and get knocked out in the first minute of the fight.”

In the end, Gomez has no regrets and would’ve taken the fight no matter how much time Joe Silva would’ve said he had to prepare. It’s moments like these that come once in a lifetime, and at UFC on Fox 4 on Saturday, Gomez will be ready to make the most of it.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Leslie Smith vs. Irene Aldana targeted for UFC on FOX 22

Invicta FC women’s bantamweight Irene Aldana is octagon bound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Stephen Thompson Plans to 'Muhammad Ali' Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is prepared for his first UFC title fight and plans to 'Muhammad Ali' champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fighter George Sullivan Accepts One-Year USADA Suspension | MMAWeekly.com

After being pulled from UFC on FOX 20 in July, welterweight fighter George Sullivan has accepted a one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. read news >>

UFC 205's Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to give champ Jedrzejczyk 'hardest fight of her life'

NEW YORK – No one has been able to figure out the puzzle that is UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, UFC 205 challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz insists she’s going to be the one to ge read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Eduard Folayang Plans to Prove the World Wrong in Shinya Aoki Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang knows that he is considered a long shot to defeat Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor, but he plans to prove the doubters wrong. read news >>

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Carrington Banks Plans to 'Put Offense on Jake Roberts' at Bellator 165 | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten lightweight Carrington Banks takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jake Roberts at Bellator 165 at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif. read news >>