Ulysses Gomez“Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.”

-Napoleon Hill

In this life we all make hard choices to fulfill our dreams along the way, and for one Ulysses “Useless” Gomez it’s no different.

When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva made the call to Gomez to face John Moraga at UFC on Fox 4 on short-notice, the 29-year-old knew he had to put his life on hold.  Gomez had to make the hard choice of not being around his newborn son and leave him with his parents.

The former Tachi Palace Fights champion knows, though, with great sacrifice comes great reward.  Should he win, he’ll be able to provide a better future for his son and fulfill his lifelong dream of competing in the Octagon.

“It’s kind of hard because I just had my son and I have such a short time to train for this fight,” Gomez told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I kind of had to pawn off my son to my parents, so he’s been staying at my parents since I pretty much got word of the fight.  I don’t like that fact, but at the same time if I know that I’m going to take time away from him it’s going to be for a reason.  I don’t get to see him as much, and I know that me going out there that I’m going to be able to get him a better future.”

Despite the short notice and the heartache, the flyweight plans to make the most out of his UFC debut. Gomez realizes that come fight time he’s not going to freeze up. Being away from his son has only further motivated him to do well.

“I’m going to make the most of my experience.  I’m going to go out there and I’m not going to let the fact I’m fighting in the UFC paralyze me and just motivate me.  If you give me an inch, I’m going to take it a yard,” he promised.

“I never took a short-notice fight, so it’s kind of lingering in the back of my mind, but the same time I’m a fighter, you know?  It doesn’t matter if they call me on a day’s notice or a year’s notice.  Either guy can train 10 weeks and get knocked out in the first minute of the fight.”

In the end, Gomez has no regrets and would’ve taken the fight no matter how much time Joe Silva would’ve said he had to prepare. It’s moments like these that come once in a lifetime, and at UFC on Fox 4 on Saturday, Gomez will be ready to make the most of it.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 22 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 22 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of those reactions. read news >>

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Hector Sandoval injured hip in first round against Fredy Serrano

SACRAMENTO – UFC flyweight Hector Sandoval didn’t think much of Freddy Serrano and predicted a second-round finish in their UFC Fight Pass prelim at UFC on FOX 22. Fate had something else in mind.Fil read news >>

Disappointed Sultan Aliev admits playing it safe against Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – After nearly two years on the sidelines and a knockout loss in his UFC debut, welterweight Sultan Aliev admitted he was weighed down by pressure at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Eddie Wineland wants off UFC Fight Pass so he can avoid Best Buy

SACRAMENTO – Among UFC bantamweight Eddie Wineland’s first words backstage to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby were “no more Fight Pass,” with an expletive thrown in for good measure.Filed under: Featured read news >>

Holly Holm Ready to 'Make a Statement Again' at UFC 208 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

After UFC on FOX 22, Holly Holm discusses how her women’s featherweight title fight with Germaine de Randamie came together and her thoughts on Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Conor McGregor 'not in my plans for the next 10 months,' says UFC President Dana White

In spite of Conor McGregor’s recent clues that we might be seeing him sooner than originally expected, UFC president Dana White is still not counting on the lightweight champion for ten months.Filed read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22: Waterson, Gall and uncensored Cruz vs. Garbrandt

Check out 10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22 – some of which took place in the cage and a few outside of it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber Celebrates Retirement by Sitting Atop UFC on FOX 22 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Urijah Faber headed into retirement on Saturday night by sitting atop the UFC on FOX 22 fighter salaries. read news >>

Rose Namajunas calls for UFC on FOX 22 winner Michelle Waterson for next fight

UFC strawweight Rose Namajunas is looking to make a comeback, and she thinks a fight with the recently victorious Michelle Waterson is the right matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>