Jon-Jones-UFC-136-368-478x270UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been rewriting UFC history and has the opportunity to add another accolade to his growing list of accomplishments at UFC 165 when he faces Alexander Gustafsson.

Jones is the youngest fighter to ever capture a UFC title.  He’s the youngest fighter to ever defend a UFC title.  He currently holds the longest winning streak in UFC light heavyweight history.  He is tied with former titleholder Tito Ortiz with the most successful UFC light heavyweight title defenses with six, but that all could change on Sept. 21.

During a recent media conference call, Jones was asked about potentially passing Ortiz’ record and if chasing history is a goal of his.

“Yes, absolutely. You know, I set that a long time ago,” said Jones. “I’ve set a lot of goals and becoming the greatest light heavyweight record-wise is definitely a big goal of mine.”

Jones doesn’t just have his sights set on the light heavyweight title defense record, he’d like to surpass Anderson Silva’s record for the most consecutive UFC title defenses.  Silva’s record ended at 10 when he lost to Chris Weidman at UFC 162.

“Guys like Anderson Silva with 10 title defenses, it just motivates me a lot. It’s just to keep moving forward and things like that,” he said.  “So, yes, this record means everything to me and did kind of since my very first fight.”

When Silva lost to Weidman, he relinquished his long-standing top pound-for-pound ranking.  Jones took over the position and holding on to it motivates the 26-year-old.

“Yes, it’s really motivating to me to have that rank. What it does for me is just… it helps me push harder and the days where I feel sorry for myself, I’m sore and tired, I think to myself,  ‘I’ve earned all this and, you know, it’s for a reason.’ It’s because I have a special work ethic,” said Jones.

“It just drives me to just continue to work hard. It drives me to push harder and to realize that I’m here for a reason and I need to continue to be that hard worker that I’ve been. And so yes, it’s just great. I’m really excited about it and after this fight, after this win, I’ll feel that the ranking is a little more justified.”

Jon Jones Comments on Previously Partying Before Fights

Jon Jones is one of the most talented MMA fighters in history, but his actions outside the Octagon have held him back. He discussed some of his past actions Thursday on The Joe Rogan Experience (h/t read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 post-fight facts: Ryan Bader inches closer to Jon Jones' record

The second half of Saturday’s UFC doubleheader unfolded in Brazil when UFC Fight Night 100 took place at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo. Check out all of the post-event facts from the FS1-televise read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 pre-fight facts: Derek Brunson can make history with another first-round KO

The UFC’s seven-week stretch of live events continues on Saturday when UFC Fight Night 101 takes place at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia, with an FS1-televised fight card that follows early read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 post-fight facts: Event ties all-time record for most decisions

Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 101 main event ended in memorable fashion when Robert Whittaker halted the momentum of Derek Brunson and continued his own. It was one of the few finishes on the card.Filed read news >>

Conor McGregor and a history of stripped UFC champions

Conor McGregor became the 11th fighter in UFC history to be stripped of a championship belt when news broke this past weekend that the organization had revoked his featherweight title, ending a reign read news >>

TUF 24 Finale pre-fight facts: Gray Maynard looks to snap record-setting decision run

The final month of the UFC’s loaded 2016 calendar kicks off with The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale. Take a look at the key numbers behind the card.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Titan FC 42 title challenger Pedro Nobre says champ Jose Torres' 3-0 record is deceiving

As far as Pedro Nobre is concerned, the numbers on paper don’t tell the full story for his next fight. Filed under: News read news >>

Dana White Comments on Conor McGregor Relinquishing Featherweight Belt

Conor McGregor made history at UFC 205 when he became a two-division champion by virtue of his lightweight title victory over Eddie Alvarez, but he relinquished his featherweight belt on Nov. 26. On read news >>

After latest suspension, former UFC champ Jon Jones says 'the story can't end like this'

It’s a tale the world has already heard several times before, but former UFC champion Jon Jones promises next time is finally going to be different.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Survives Early Onslaught in Record Win (TUF 24 Finale Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the fight highlights as Demetrious Johnson had to survive some early danger to score a record win over Tim Elliott at the TUF 24 Finale. read news >>