Demetrious Johnson successfully defended his UFC flyweight title for the first time Saturday night, taking a hard-fought unanimous decision over John Dodson in the main event of UFC on Fox 6.

In Dodson, Johnson faced arguably his greatest test at 125 pounds to date. After a competitive first frame, “The Magician” proved his status as No. 1 contender was warranted in the second stanza, when he twice dropped “Mighty Mouse” with hard left hooks.

“The first couple of rounds were hard. He showed some stuff that I wasn’t ready for, and I had to dig deep like a champion and pull through and keep the pressure on him,” said Johnson. “He was fast. I should have just followed the game plan, but I was getting greedy and too excited, and I was standing there, brawling with him. Then I got caught. I got up, and I was like, ‘You’re alright. Just relax and breathe, and you’re going to get through it. You just got caught.’”

After hitting the deck in the second frame, Johnson saw his superior conditioning take over as the bout wore on. Though Dodson’s fast hands and explosiveness have proved a challenge for the champion the early going, it was Johnson who appeared the fresher of the men down the stretch, a fact that he attributes to both his preparation and Octagon experience.

“Anybody can be fast in the first couple of rounds. My wife is fast in the first round, but it’s a five-round fight. You’ve got to be fast all five rounds, and I am,” said Johnson. “Going five rounds with Joseph [Benavidez] and Dominick [Cruz] and six rounds with Ian McCall, that stuff is all under my belt. Now I went five rounds with a guy who isn’t faster than me, but he’s close. Going five rounds with him helps me out a lot. That’s what other fighters have to look forward to when they fight me.”

The championship rounds were particularly impressive for Johnson, despite accidentally catching a downed Dodson with an illegal knee to the head during a fourth-round flurry. Mighty Mouse then closed the distance on his hard-hitting foe in the final frame, controlling him in the clinch while punishing the challenger with knees, punches and elbows.

“If you look at all of John Dodson’s fights, he does not like to be in the clinch,” said Johnson. “When you’re clinching with Matt Hume and getting kneed by him on a daily basis, you’re ready for a knee from anybody in the flyweight or bantamweight division.”

Though Johnson is regarded by many as one of the sport’s top pound-for-pound talents, the AMC Pankration product says he is by no means satisfied with his resume as it currently stands.

“I’m just a hard worker,” said Dodson. “I know I still have lots to improve on. I’m ready to go back home and get ready for my next fight and keep on improving as a mixed martial artist.”

By The Numbers - Fastest Finishes in Title Fights

Aat UFC 197, Demetrious Johnson defended his title for the eighth time, scoring a KO of Henry Cejudo at 2:49 of the first round. While that was incredibly quick, the Octagon has seen title fights end read news >>

UFC 197 Free Fight: Demetrious Johnson Knocks Out Joseph Benavidez

Demetrious Johnson defended his flyweight belt for the third time when he knocked out Joseph Benavidez in 2013. read news >>

UFC 197's Demetrious Johnson 'very hard to impress' – and Henry Cejudo hasn't done it yet

It’s difficult for a fighter to capture the attention of UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson with an in-cage performance, much less impress him.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin to Coach TUF Latin America 3

For the first time in UFC history, the The Ultimate Fighter series will feature two UFC legends and Hall of Famers, Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, as coaches. read news >>

Ben Askren Dominates, Remains Undefeated at ONE: Global Rivals

Ben Askren went the distance for the first time in three years at ONE: Global Rivals in order to keep his undefeated record intact. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Darrell Horcher video highlights

Khabib Nurmagomedov returned to action for the first time in two years at UFC on FOX 19, and while it wasn’t the bout with Tony Ferguson fans wanted to see, he dominated late-replacement Darrell Horc read news >>

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson 2 Announced for Bellator 158: Comments, Reaction

For the first time in eight years, Kimbo Slice and James Thompson will throw down in the Octagon. On Sunday, Bellator President Scott Coker announced on SportsCenter that Slice-Thompson II will take read news >>

UFC 197 Free Fight: Jon Jones Takes Out Rampage in First Title Defense

Jon Jones successfully made his first title defense at UFC 135 when he submitted Rampage Jackson. Check out the full fight video! read news >>

UFC 197 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo

Wrestling gold medalist Henry Cejudo looks to dethrone dominant flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson isn't scared of 'TUF 24' winner's title shot: 'I just don't care'

Demetrious Johnson may be a lot of things, but scared of a challenge from the winner of “TUF 24” is not one of them, the flyweight champion said.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>