Demetrious Johnson successfully defended his UFC flyweight title for the first time Saturday night, taking a hard-fought unanimous decision over John Dodson in the main event of UFC on Fox 6.

In Dodson, Johnson faced arguably his greatest test at 125 pounds to date. After a competitive first frame, “The Magician” proved his status as No. 1 contender was warranted in the second stanza, when he twice dropped “Mighty Mouse” with hard left hooks.

“The first couple of rounds were hard. He showed some stuff that I wasn’t ready for, and I had to dig deep like a champion and pull through and keep the pressure on him,” said Johnson. “He was fast. I should have just followed the game plan, but I was getting greedy and too excited, and I was standing there, brawling with him. Then I got caught. I got up, and I was like, ‘You’re alright. Just relax and breathe, and you’re going to get through it. You just got caught.’”

After hitting the deck in the second frame, Johnson saw his superior conditioning take over as the bout wore on. Though Dodson’s fast hands and explosiveness have proved a challenge for the champion the early going, it was Johnson who appeared the fresher of the men down the stretch, a fact that he attributes to both his preparation and Octagon experience.

“Anybody can be fast in the first couple of rounds. My wife is fast in the first round, but it’s a five-round fight. You’ve got to be fast all five rounds, and I am,” said Johnson. “Going five rounds with Joseph [Benavidez] and Dominick [Cruz] and six rounds with Ian McCall, that stuff is all under my belt. Now I went five rounds with a guy who isn’t faster than me, but he’s close. Going five rounds with him helps me out a lot. That’s what other fighters have to look forward to when they fight me.”

The championship rounds were particularly impressive for Johnson, despite accidentally catching a downed Dodson with an illegal knee to the head during a fourth-round flurry. Mighty Mouse then closed the distance on his hard-hitting foe in the final frame, controlling him in the clinch while punishing the challenger with knees, punches and elbows.

“If you look at all of John Dodson’s fights, he does not like to be in the clinch,” said Johnson. “When you’re clinching with Matt Hume and getting kneed by him on a daily basis, you’re ready for a knee from anybody in the flyweight or bantamweight division.”

Though Johnson is regarded by many as one of the sport’s top pound-for-pound talents, the AMC Pankration product says he is by no means satisfied with his resume as it currently stands.

“I’m just a hard worker,” said Dodson. “I know I still have lots to improve on. I’m ready to go back home and get ready for my next fight and keep on improving as a mixed martial artist.”

From Around the Web

WSOF 19 Results: Justin Gaethje Retains 155-Pound Title; Teddy Holder Upsets Thiago Silva

Justin Gaethje successfully defended the World Series of Fighting lightweight title with a stoppage of Luis Palomino at WSOF 19 on Saturday in Phoenix. Thiago Silva suffered an upset loss in his WSOF read news >>

Video: Buzzfeed's The Try Guys get beat up by UFC champs Chris Weidman, Demetrious Johnson and others

4 average Joes, vs. top UFC stars. Watch Buzzfeed's 'The Try Guys' get kicked and ragdolled by several UFC stars such as Chris Weidman, Demetriuos Johnson, Chuck Liddell, and many more. 'The Try Guys read news >>

Nate Diaz returns to welterweight, meets Matt Brown on stacked UFC 189 in Las Vegas

For the first time since 2011, Nate Diaz will fight at welterweight. He’s been booked for a fight with Matt Brown at UFC 189 in Las Vegas this July. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Quick Swick Returns at UFC 189

Back in action for the first time since December of 2012, longtime middleweight and welterweight standout Mike "Quick" Swick will return to the Octagon on Saturday, July 11, to face Alex "The... read news >>

GLORY 20 Dubai post-fight reactions with Stets, Walsh, Coffeen and O'Regan

At GLORY 20, Robin van Roosmalen defended his lightweight title against Andy Ristie, Gabriel Varga defeated Mosab Amrani to win the first GLORY featherweight title, and Simon Marcus won the middlewei read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63: Julianna Pena vs. Milana Dudienva fight video highlights

FAIRFAX, Va. – Fighting for the first time in more than a year, Julianna Pena wanted to show the world she is still a legitimate contender in the women’s bantamweight division. Mission accomplished.F read news >>

The Bellator vs. Rampage Jackson lawsuit explained

Tomorrow we could find out if Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson will successfully be able to return to the UFC. Yet, it won't be with a performance in the cage. Bellator is trying to stop Jackson from not ju read news >>

All drug tests from UFC 184 come back clean

For the first time in history, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) administered an entire card post fight with blood and urine tests at UFC 184. And all the fighters have come back clean. read news >>

UFC's Shawn Jordan says Derrick Lewis attacked him after bell in first meeting

Derrick Lewis and Shawn Jordan faced off for the first time in 2010 with Jordan getting the decision win. The two men will run it back on the biggest stage in the sport when they fight at UFC Fight N read news >>