With 14 fights to his credit including two in the UFC, Canadian Nick Denis has decided to retire from the sport of mixed martial arts.

At only 29-years of age, some might wonder why Denis is walking away so young , with fights still remaining on his UFC contract.

Well as the former biochemistry major explains it, after doing a lot of research into brain injuries and concussions, Denis decided to stop risking his own health in training and fights and walk away while he still could.

“After my first loss, a devastating knockout where Marlon Sandro dribbled my head on the canvas like a basketball, I did lots of research on concussions. As a graduate student at the university of Ottawa, I had access to all peer reviewed scientific journals. No surprise to find that concussions = bad. However, I found something that had never occurred to me. Sub-concussive trauma. Basically, a blow to the head that doesn’t lead to a concussion. When it happens, you feel fine, and continue on. Maybe you feel like you just had a little brain scramble, nothing big,” Denis described in his blog.

“Those who spar, know what I am talking about. However these add up. They accumulate, from training session to training session, year after year. The research papers found that men who never had an actual concussion, rather only sub-concussive trauma, (they used football/hockey players) when brain scans were administered to them (can’t remember if it was MRI or CT), their brain morphology was decayed like that of individuals with later stages of neurodegenerative disorders.”

Denis goes onto say that he promised himself if he experienced one more concussion that he would retire, and as certain damage continued to mount, he couldn’t ignore the warning signs any longer.

“In the last couple years, and especially in the last few months leading up to my May 5th fight, while sparring I would notice that when I got hit, it would affect me more and more. When I first started sparring I would run through punches unaffected. Not only that, but now training at Tristar, I am literally training with the worlds best. We are all training at the highest level, all for the same reasons. Could I fight in the UFC, against the best fighters in our solar system, literally trained killers, without sparring in training? Not really, so what was I to do? I have made the decision to retire,” explained Denis.

During his brief UFC career, Denis went 1-1 with a stunning first round knockout in his debut over Joseph Sandoval, and now walks away from the sport to focus on his health and other endeavors.

UFC welterweight Jordan Mein retires at age 25

Jordan Mein has decided to hang up the gloves at age 25, after almost 40 MMA fights in his career. In a bit of surprising news, UFC welterweight Jordan Mein has decided to leave the sport at just age read news >>

Joe Doerksen retires after 67 fights: 'I can still tie my shoes and remember my name'

Middleweight Joe Doerksen is retiring after 16 years as a professional MMA fighter and stints in several major MMA promotions.Filed under: News read news >>

Joe Doerksen retires after 67-fight MMA career, including nine in UFC

A one fight curiosity for Canadian mixed martial arts (MMA) pioneer Joe Doerksen turned into a 15-year odyssey during which time he competed against some of the best fighters in the world. Now the 37 read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Five Fights for Demian Maia

Demian Maia put on a Brazilian jiu-jitsu clinic for two rounds before he submitted Neil Magny during their UFC 190 bout. The 37-year old fighter used his skill set to stifle every attempt at offense read news >>

UFC 190: Results and Winners for Rousey vs. Correia and Top Fights

UFC 190 was headlined by a familiar sight: Ronda Rousey having the women's bantamweight championship belt put around her after another beatdown that took less than a minute. This time, the opponent w read news >>

UFC 190 post-fight facts: Ronda Rousey into uncharted territory – in just UFC six fights

Ronda Rousey’s statistical greatness has already ventured into uncharted territory – just six fights into her UFC career. Check out all the post-fight facts, including Rousey’s latest achievements, a read news >>

Ronda Rousey's 5 First-Round Wins in Title Fights Makes UFC History

Fact: Ronda Rousey's five first-round wins in title fights are the most in UFC history. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Fact of the day, prese read news >>

UFC's Dana White announces Antonio Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira's retirement

The UFC president unilaterally announced that he was through promoting fights featuring the Brazilian legend and offered Nogueira a career with the organization. UFC president Dana White announced th read news >>

Dana White 'done' giving Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira fights, will offer him UFC job

RIO DE JANEIRO – UFC President Dana White said fans have seen the last of former PRIDE and interim UFC champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira inside the octagon. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

UFC 190: Results and Reactions from Biggest Fights on Rousey vs. Correia Card

Ronda Rousey retained her bantamweight championship and improved her record to 12-0 Saturday night at UFC 190 in what's become typical Rousey-fight fashion: unsparing, unrelenting and under a minute. read news >>