vitor-belfort-29.jpg(This story first appeared in today’s USA TODAY.)

GOIANIA, Brazil – It may seem odd that the UFC’s next middleweight title challenger could be determined in a light-heavyweight contest, but for Brazilian slugger Vitor Belfort, it’s very much a reality.

It’s just a reality he doesn’t want to discuss until after Saturday night.

“I’m so happy just to be able to go into this fight so focused,” Belfort told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m looking forward to fighting one of the greatest fighters of all time, Dan Henderson, so that’s my focus right now.”

Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) and Henderson (29-10 MMA, 6-4 UFC) meet in the headlining contest of Saturday’s “UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson” (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET), which takes place at Brazil’s Goiania Arena.

UFC President Dana White recently revealed that a Belfort win would earn him the title shot for which he has long lobbied. On the other hand, despite the fight taking place at 205 pounds, a loss to Henderson – a man who possesses knockout power capable of ending most fighters’ nights in a single blow – would take Belfort out of immediate title contention.

Belfort said the risk is worth the reward.

“You’re remembered for your last fight, so some people are afraid of taking a risk,” Belfort said. “Everything is a risk in life. We have to go out and risk in order to win.”

Middleweight champion Chris Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0) faces the man he beat for the belt, Anderson Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC), in main event of UFC 168 next month. Should Belfort win on Saturday, especially in impressive fashion, he’s expected to get a shot at the winner and a chance to avenge a failed 2011 bid for the 185-pound title.

There is, however, one caveat. “The Phenom” is one of a handful of fighters who have been approved by the sport’s governing athletic commissions for a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy – an increasingly common procedure in the U.S., but one that can be easily abused if athletes are not thoroughly monitored. (Henderson is also utilizing the treatment.)

While Belfort has had little trouble getting approval for the process in his native Brazil, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer has previously stated he’s not so sure the 36-year-old would enjoy the same privilege in Las Vegas, frequent home to many of the UFC’s biggest fights.

Belfort, who at one time avoided discussion of the topic, has begun to talk about his treatment in detail of late, and he remains confident his doctor-ordered plan is carefully monitored and should not be viewed as cheating.

“I’m so open right now,” Belfort said. “I have nothing to hide. I’m just being truthful, so it’s good.”

Belfort’s credentials are well established. At 9-2 in his past 11 contests, his only losses in the past six years are to top pound-for-pound fighters Silva and Jon Jones. In 2013 alone, he’s registered highlight-reel knockouts of Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold, who he beat with a spinning back kick he said he envisioned in a dream before the fight.

Now, the reality of what lies ahead is clear. Win, and another crack at UFC gold is in the cards. Lose, and he’ll go to the back of an increasingly long line that features top contenders like Lyoto Machida and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. Belfort said he again envisions his path to success.

“But some dreams you cannot share,” Belfort said. “Let’s make it happen first.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 32, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dan Henderson wants Vitor Belfort rubber match -- but not in Brazil

  • 7 days ago
  • 20 views

Because "Hendo" doesn't want to fight Belfort in a place where "The Phenom's" doctor is also the head of the athletic commission. Dan Henderson proved to the mixed martial arts (MMA) world -- and him read news >>

Chris Weidman returns 'Notorious' favor, joins Team McGregor for UFC 189

  • 12 days ago
  • 369 views

Shortly after Chris Weidman destroyed Vitor Belfort at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last May, the "All American" champion grabbed the microphone and asked everyone in the mixed martial arts ( read news >>

Jacare Souza on Vitor Belfort: 'If he accepts, I can fight him'

  • 12 days ago
  • 4 views

Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza won't wait for a title shot, and is open to a bout with Vitor Belfort. Ronaldo Souza was recently passed up for a UFC middleweight title shot, which instead went to a man that read news >>

Chris Weidman's son is praying for Vitor Belfort

  • 12 days ago
  • 62 views

After Chris Weidman thrashed Vitor Belfort at UFC 187, the middleweight champion reveals how his son CJ is praying for Belfort's wellbeing. After Chris Weidman's pummeling of Vitor Belfort at UFC 187 read news >>

Jacare Souza miffed he lost UFC title shot to Luke Rockhold, but will settle for beatdown of Vitor Belfort

  • 13 days ago
  • 28 views

When Ronaldo Souza was upended by Luke Rockhold back in Strikeforce, some mixed martial arts (MMA) fans thought it was a knock against "Jacare," probably because the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) read news >>

‘Jacare’ Souza won’t wait for title shot, open to fight with Vitor Belfort

  • 13 days ago
  • 0 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Luke Rockhold will be the next to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza isn’t happy about it. The Brazilian middleweight, former Strikeforce middlewei read news >>

UFC 188 Results: Cain Velasquez's Fall Unexpected, Odd but Temporary

  • 16 days ago
  • 8 views

The Tortoise and the Hare was always one of my favorite Aesop’s Fables growing up. It was a story ingrained with the moral that speed doesn’t always win the race. Sometimes slow and steady is the way read news >>

Vitor Belfort Still Chasing UFC Title After Brutal UFC 187 Loss to Chris Weidman

  • 21 days ago
  • 13 views

Vitor Belfort may have been brutally dispatched by Chris Weidman at UFC 187, but the Brazilian still feels like he has another title run left in him. Speaking with Brazil's Sensei SporTV (h/t MMA Fig read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I'm still at the top of my division and can make another run at the UFC title

  • 22 days ago
  • 0 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, was blown away by Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last month in Las Vegas, Nevada (video read news >>

Vitor Belfort will start another run at UFC title

  • 22 days ago
  • 67 views

Vitor Belfort has won 10 out of 13 fights since 2007, and all of his losses were in UFC title fights. Following a first-round TKO loss to middleweight champion Chris Weidman in May, "The Phenom" stil read news >>