MANCHESTER – While his failure to make weight for the third time in five UFC appearances sullied his latest win, John Lineker again looked impressive in a first-round win over Phil Harris.
The catchweight bout opened up the main card of today’s UFC Fight Night 30 event at Phones4u Arena in Manchester, England. It aired on FOX Sports 2 following prelims on MMAjunkie.com.
As expected, Lineker came out swinging, and while Harris was willing to stand and trade, “Hands of Stone” scored an early knockdown with a two-punch combo. Harris scrambled back to hsi feet, but a left hand rocked him shortly after, and a right sent him to the floor yet again.
Harris again crawled to his feet, but it turned into target practice for Lineker, who rifled off shots from all angles. A left hook to the body eventually sent Harris crashing to the canvas, and Lineker followed up with punches to seal the quick finish at the 2:51 mark of the first round.
“I thank God to be able to be here again, and I’m very happy to get another knockout victory,” Lineker said through an interpreter. “I’m really, really happy right now.
“That’s the way I fight. I look for the bodyshots. I know I have heavy hands.”
Lineker (23-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC) now owns four-straight UFC wins, including three by stoppage. Harris (22-11 MMA, 1-2 UFC) falls to 1-2 in the octagon.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 30 results include:
- John Lineker def. Phil Harris via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:51
- Al Iaquinta def. Piotr Hallmann via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Luke Barnatt def. Andrew Craig via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:12
- Jessica Andrade def. Rosi Sexton via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-26)
- Cole Miller def. Andy Ogle via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jimy Hettes def. Robert Whiteford via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 2:17
- Brad Scott def. Michael Kuiper via submission (standing guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:17
For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 30, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
Matt Erickson contributed to this report on-site in Manchester.