glover-teixeira-19.jpgBELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – Glover Teixeira is not the kind of man to call someone out. Humble, even a little quiet, the 33-year-old slugger prefers not to rock the boat. However, with a title shot on the horizon, Teixeira admits he’s got a specific target in mind.

With his UFC Fight Night 28 win over Ryan Bader (15-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC), Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) earned a shot at the winner of UFC 165's title fight between light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, and the Brazilian contender admits he’s prefer to fight the reigning champ.

“My dream is to get the belt, but I believe Jon Jones will win,” Teixeira said after Wednesday’s event. “That’s the way I see it, and I definitely prefer to fight him, in a certain manner because Jon Jones has a better name. He’s been a champ for a long time, so whoever goes to face him has to be very focused, very well-trained.”

Teixeira and Bader met in the main event of Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 28 event, which took place at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The card marked Teixeira’s first UFC headlining slot, as well as his first professional fight in his home state.

The win didn’t come easy, as Bader was able to rock him twice in the opening round but was unable to secure the finish. Instead, Teixeira picked himself up off the canvas and landed a thunderous two-punch combination that sent Bader crashing to the floor.

Teixeira quickly followed, earning a first-round TKO stoppage.

Afterward, Teixeira was visibly upset with his performance. He later explained he was simply disappointed to have allowed himself to be hit so cleanly.

“I was thinking a lot about the knockout, and I was waiting for that,” Teixeira said. “I was waiting for him to punch me so I could counter him, but I was very close to him. That’s where he got me. I remembered we always have to move, and we always have to be first. I have to do my strategy, which is always to move the head around and to go forward and to make those punches connect. I didn’t move around, and that’s where the problems started.

“I was a bit upset because despite Ryan Bader being a huge athlete and a great fighter, we always want to be the guy who goes in and dominates. I think the secret of the fight is for us to hit and not get hit, to punch and not get punched.”

Despite the early struggles, Teixeira did earn the victory, giving him an incredible 20-fight winning streak. After the press conference, he admitted he may have been a little hard on himself and that legendary Brazilian slugger Pedro Rizzo had advised him to recognize the magnitude of his win.

Either way, it appears a title shot is in his future. And if Teixeira’s prediction is correct, it will come against Jones, the man currently considered the world’s best pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight fighter, according to the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings.

Teixeira thinks he’s got a plan to unseat the champ.

“The knockout power, I believe I have it, and if I hit him, he’s going to go down,” Teixeira said.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Ronda Rousey Talks Floyd Mayweather Jr.: ‘I’m Not the Kind of Chick You Make Snarky Remarks About’ (Video)

Ronda Rousey talks about the verbal jab she took at Floyd Mayweather Jr. about being beaten by a woman. read news >>

Manager confirms return of Fedor Emelianenko, expects top-10 opponent in first fight back

Time heals all wounds. Okay, now it's time to (officially) get excited. Lest you thought the mixed martial arts (MMA) community was being trolled by some dastardly do-badder in the outskirts of Russi read news >>

More than talk, Conor McGregor puts himself at top of UFC’s new age

McGregor comes back to defeat Mendes via second-round TKO for the interim featherweight championship Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. read news >>

Rising star Thomas Almeida expects to lose in Las Vegas, but not when he enters the Octagon

Thomas Almeida will compete in Las Vegas for the first time in his MMA career, but he’s not 100 percent confident going to Sin City. Undefeated in 18 professional fights, with 17 finishes under his b read news >>

Stephen Thompson: Patient and Deadly

Stephen Thompson has always been a glass half-full kind of person, but when a rib injury forced him out of a February headlining gig against Brandon Thatch, it did threaten his usual sunny dispositio read news >>

VIDEO: Josh Barnett Breaks Down Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia

UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett says Bethe Correia has the mental make-up to defeat bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, but does she have the tools? read news >>

Dana White expects UFC 189 to set U.S. gate record with $7 million in ticket sales on July 11

"Notorious" power? No Jose Aldo? No problem!. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White is still very confident that the upcoming UFC 189 pay-per-view (PPV) event set for July 11, 201 read news >>

Rony Jason to take legal action against CABMMA if failed drug test is overturned

Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight Rony Jason expects to sue the Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) if his failed drug test at UFC Fight Night 67 is reverted by Las Vegas doctors. Forme read news >>

UFC Strawweight Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk Gets Thumb Surgery, Expects 2015 Return

Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the UFC women's strawweight champion and maybe the most exciting fighter to break onto the big stage this year, underwent thumb surgery on Friday. The news came early on Friday in read news >>

Despite loss of Aldo vs McGregor, Dana White expects record-setting $7M gate for UFC 189

UFC 189 might have lost it's big headliner, but will still be the most profitable live event on US soil in promotion history, according to the UFC president. When it comes to promoting and marketing read news >>