glover-teixeira-19.jpgBELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – Glover Teixeira is not the kind of man to call someone out. Humble, even a little quiet, the 33-year-old slugger prefers not to rock the boat. However, with a title shot on the horizon, Teixeira admits he’s got a specific target in mind.

With his UFC Fight Night 28 win over Ryan Bader (15-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC), Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) earned a shot at the winner of UFC 165's title fight between light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, and the Brazilian contender admits he’s prefer to fight the reigning champ.

“My dream is to get the belt, but I believe Jon Jones will win,” Teixeira said after Wednesday’s event. “That’s the way I see it, and I definitely prefer to fight him, in a certain manner because Jon Jones has a better name. He’s been a champ for a long time, so whoever goes to face him has to be very focused, very well-trained.”

Teixeira and Bader met in the main event of Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 28 event, which took place at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The card marked Teixeira’s first UFC headlining slot, as well as his first professional fight in his home state.

The win didn’t come easy, as Bader was able to rock him twice in the opening round but was unable to secure the finish. Instead, Teixeira picked himself up off the canvas and landed a thunderous two-punch combination that sent Bader crashing to the floor.

Teixeira quickly followed, earning a first-round TKO stoppage.

Afterward, Teixeira was visibly upset with his performance. He later explained he was simply disappointed to have allowed himself to be hit so cleanly.

“I was thinking a lot about the knockout, and I was waiting for that,” Teixeira said. “I was waiting for him to punch me so I could counter him, but I was very close to him. That’s where he got me. I remembered we always have to move, and we always have to be first. I have to do my strategy, which is always to move the head around and to go forward and to make those punches connect. I didn’t move around, and that’s where the problems started.

“I was a bit upset because despite Ryan Bader being a huge athlete and a great fighter, we always want to be the guy who goes in and dominates. I think the secret of the fight is for us to hit and not get hit, to punch and not get punched.”

Despite the early struggles, Teixeira did earn the victory, giving him an incredible 20-fight winning streak. After the press conference, he admitted he may have been a little hard on himself and that legendary Brazilian slugger Pedro Rizzo had advised him to recognize the magnitude of his win.

Either way, it appears a title shot is in his future. And if Teixeira’s prediction is correct, it will come against Jones, the man currently considered the world’s best pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight fighter, according to the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings.

Teixeira thinks he’s got a plan to unseat the champ.

“The knockout power, I believe I have it, and if I hit him, he’s going to go down,” Teixeira said.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

From Around the Web

Are UFC pay-per-view events cursed? Recent history hasn't been kind

Fans will be watching tonight’s UFC 184 card while remembering what might have been. After all, over the past 14 months, UFC pay-per-view cards have seen no shortage of weirdness and bad breaks.Filed read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White expects a call from Brock Lesnar when his WWE contract expires

Could the former UFC heavyweight champion be making a comeback? "Apparently Brock Lesnar is a UFC fan and he was in town and wanted to come see the fight tonight. He's under contract with the WWE, an read news >>

UFC 184: Joe Rogan Thinks Ronda Rousey Could Beat 50 Percent of Bantamweight Men

Ronda Rousey could defeat 50 percent of the fighters competing in the UFC men’s bantamweight division, according to UFC commentator Joe Rogan. Another brilliant performance from the UFC women’s banta read news >>

Rampage Jackson accuses Bellator of phony injunction, expects to compete at UFC 186

Bellator MMA filed an injunction earlier this week in the Chancery Division of the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey, one that is expected to keep Quinton Jackson from competing at the read news >>

Anthony Pettis expects to be the next BJ Penn, new king of UFC pay-per-view

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Anthony Pettis, who defends his title later this month against Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 185, is not content to simply rule the roost at 155 po read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Renan Barao expects a 'very different' fight against 'cocky' TJ Dillashaw at UFC 186

The former champ is gunning for his title at UFC 186. "He's boasting a lot about himself and this is not going to be good for him in the fight. He's way too cocky. He just got the belt. He thinks he' read news >>

Matt Brown expects best version of Johny Hendricks coming off title loss

DALLAS -- Matt Brown talks about his UFC 185 fight against Johny Hendricks, his recent time off, what he expects out of Hendricks, what's at stake in this fight, and more. read news >>

UFC 185 fight card: What's at stake?

It's a bit of a shame this event isn't getting the same kind of hype the previous UFC pay-per-view events have earned this year, but it's to be expected. Anthony Pettis isn't the sort of commercial a read news >>

Julianna Pena more than willing to show Ronda Rousey who is the bigger UFC bully

How do you defeat a bully? You learn to become one yourself, according to "Venezuelan Vixen." Julianna Pena recently had some strong words for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweigh read news >>