UFC Fight Night 26's Alistair Overeem: 'I don't like to lose; I'm a winner'

• submit to reddit

BOSTON – Alistair Overeem knew the questions were coming, and he stood there, answering them, as patiently as possible. It had been nearly six years since “The Demolition Man” had been asked about bouncing back from a loss, but he grinned as best he could and insisted things were better.

“When they say you learn more from losses than from wins, I found that to be a very accurate saying,” Overeem told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “When you win, that means you must be doing something good. When you lose, that means something or some things, multiple things, went wrong.

“I don’t like to lose. I’m a winner, so that put everything on alert and got me back to the drawing board to get everything sharp again. That’s what happened after the last fight.”

Earlier this year, at February’s UFC 156 event, Overeem faced Antonio Silva for a crack at the UFC’s heavyweight title. After cruising through the opening two rounds with precious little sense of urgency, Overeem was blasted by the heavy-handed “Bigfoot” in the third frame and suffered a devastating knockout loss.

It was Overeem’s first loss since 2007, but the 33-year-old insists he didn’t allow the disappointment to overwhelm him.

“I not a depressed kind of guy,” Overeem said. “I’m a positive guy. I’m always looking for opportunity. I’m always looking for answers. So that was me. I was just looking to improve. I had a close look at all the components: training camp, trainers and the whole thing.

“Basically, after a loss, if it’s a close-call loss, obviously maybe that’s just a strategy thing. But if it’s a big loss, I look at everything, and I changed everything up.”

Included among the changes was Overeem’s choice of training locale, and he returned to Holland for half of his camp in order to train under Mike’s Gym head Mike Passenier, trainer to legendary strikers such as Badr Hari, Gokhan Saki and Melvin Manhoef.

“I went back to my roots, back to striking, which is my thing,” Overeem said.

Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) returns to action on Saturday night, when he meets Travis Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) in the co-feature of “UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen” at Boston’s TD Garden. Browne also lost to Silva but has since bounced back with an impressive win over Gabriel Gonzaga.

Despite a massive experience difference between the two, Overeem insists he’s not overlooking his opponent.

“I think it’s a very good matchup,” Overeem said. “He’s definitely an up-and-coming guy. He only has one loss. He’s aggressive. He’s going to be there and going for the win. But I’m coming from a loss, and I’m also in search of a win. I think it’s a good matchup. I’m looking forward to the fight.”

In many ways, the bout seems to have a make-or-break feel to it for Overeem. The former Strikeforce champ was heavily hyped coming into his UFC debut, but injury, a failed drug test and the loss to Silva have all helped soften the hype.

Overeem said his goal is still to win the UFC’s heavyweight belt, and his latest setback isn’t going to stop him.

“Listen, in my life, I was not born with a golden spoon,” Overeem said. “I’ve had a lot of setbacks in my life. But you keep on going. You keep opening yourself up to people who will help you. Solutions come. You just keep on going with your chin up and your shoulders back, and you keep on moving forward.

“It’s not hard. I’m very passionate, and I want to win, and you do whatever it takes to win.”

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

A heavyweight matchup between Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell is the latest addition to September’s UFC Fight Night 50 event.Filed under: News, UFC more

A heavyweight bout between Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell has been scheduled for UFC Fight Night Connecticut on Sept. 5, officials confirmed on Wednesday evening. more

UFC Fight Night 50 on September 5 is suddenly one of the sexiest free fight cards you'll find of late, with a heavyweight tilt between Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell being announced. The story was first broken by Fox Sports' Damon Martin and then confirmed by the UFC on Fox on Twitter: Breaking fight: Alistair Overeem vs Ben Rothwell added to UFC Fight Night in Connecticut -- http://t.co/5Sn4UA90md #UFCFightNight #UFC — UFCONFOX (@UFCONFOX) July 10, 2014 Alistair Overeem hit a harsh skid afte more

Alistair Overeem and Ben Rothwell are set to tangle when the Ultimate Fighting Championship heads to Connecticut in September. more

On a night when the UFC will be going head-to-head with Bellator in the same state, Alistair Overeem vs. Ben Rothwell has been booked for the September 5th show. It's not a fight that I'm sure many expected to be booked, but nevertheless Alistair Overeem's next fight is set to be against Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night in Connecticut on September 5th. This is the 2nd major announcement for a card that previously had just two other fights confirmed heading into today. Breaking fight: Alistair Ove more

The 'Reem is ready for his return. The veteran heavyweight from Holland will square off with Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 50. The event will be held on Sept. 5 at the Foxwoods Casino on Mashantucket Pequot tribal land near Ledyard, Conn. FOXSports.com initially reported the bout on Wednesday. Overeem (37-13, 1 NC), a former Strikeforce and Dream champion, defeated Frank Mir via decision at UFC 169. That victory was believed to have saved his UFC career, as it came after back-to-back knockout more

Bombs away! UFC Fight Night 50, which is scheduled for Foxwoods Resort & Casino in Ledyard, Conn., on Sept. 5, 2014, is shaping up to be a solid event. Two Heavyweight bouts were added to the FOX Sports 1-televised fight card earlier this evening," including Alistair Overeem vs. Ben Rothwell and Matt Mitrione vs. Derrick Lewis. Overeem, who must now feel 100 percent healthy, recently returned to the win column at UFC 169 thanks to Frank Mir after suffering back-to-back losses to Antonio Silva an more

Will the fifteenth time be the charm? Alistair Overeem will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon when he faces Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 50, which is scheduled for Foxwoods Resort & Casino in Ledyard, Conn., on Sept. 5, 2014. Overeem -- who is now 100-percent healthy -- recently returned to the win column at UFC 169 with a decision win over Frank Mir after suffering back-to-back losses to Antonio Silva and Travis Browne in 2013. He'll look to make it two straight wins when he faces more

UFC Fight Night 44: Complete recap of tonight’s (Sat., June 28, 2014) Swanson vs. Stephens-led under card “Prelims” mixed martial arts (MMA) action that featured five bouts across five weight classes, airing live on FOX Sports 1 (FS1) and online via "Fight Pass." Who won? Who lost? Who got KTFO and submitted? Get complete UFC Fight Night 44 “Prelims” results recap below. *** For MMAmania.com's UFC Fight Night 44: "Swanson vs. Stephens" play-by-play coverage of the main card click RIGHT HERE. *** more