BOSTON – Travis Browne might want to consider taking Mario Yamasaki out for a steak dinner.

Yamasaki, refereeing Browne’s bout with Alistair Overeem, gave the Hawaiian lots of time to recover when Browne was in trouble in the first round. And Browne took advantage of that opportunity – by knocking out Overeem minutes later with a front kick to the face.

The bout was the co-main event of today’s UFC Fight Night 26 at Boston’s TD Garden. It aired on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

Browne pawed early, then backed up as Overeem quickly came forward and landed knees to the body. He pushed Browne against the cage as Browne tried to regain position before finally pushing free. An Overeem body shot was answered with a body punch from Browne. But after Browne seemed to have Overeem stunned, Overeem started to pile it on.

He landed dozens of right hands with Browne turtling up against the fence, though Browne blocked many of them by covering up. Overeem landed what appeared to be an illegal knee to the head with Browne grounded, but it went unpunished by Yamasaki, who gave Browne plenty of time to recover after warning him to protect himself.

And that chance paid off for Browne, who survived and even landed a bit of offense of his own afterward. With two minutes left in the round, the fight moved back to the center of the cage, where Browne looked to land some kicks and continue to regain his composure.

Over and over again, Browne worked front kicks to the body, then mixed in high kicks toward Overeem’s head. And then, almost out of nowhere if not for the kicking pace he had set seconds prior, Browne landed a front kick straight to Overeem’s chin. Overeem fell backward and Browne landed two big right hammerfists on the ground to get the stoppage.

“He throws knees like I’ve never felt before,” Browne said. “I was there mentally, but my body was shutting down. All I could hear was Mario saying, ‘Move.’ So I kept moving to try to get to my feet. I felt him starting to slow down. As soon as I felt him starting to slow down, I knew this was my game. I did it. This is just another goal in my career that I’ve achieved, taking out a top-five guy. I’m not done yet. I want that strap. Cain (Velasquez), you’re the best in the world right now. But I want that belt.”

Browne (15-1-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) now has won back-to-back fights since a loss to Antonio Silva in October 2012. Overeem (36-13 MMA, 1-2 UFC) lost for the second straight time and has lost consecutive fights for the first time in more than six years.

Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 26 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Steven Marrocco contributed to this report on-site in Boston.

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked* Cain Velasquez (13-2), according Bleacher Report's June MMA read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway, it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked Cain Velasquez (13-2), according to Bleacher Report's June  read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

Cain Velasquez seemed completely unstoppable not all that long ago. His wrestling was too good. His hands were too heavy. His gas tank was too deep. He could outwrestle strikers, outstrike wrestlers read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes Weigh-in Photos

Check out the UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes full weigh-in photo gallery from Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Cain Velasquez is Back; Takes Out Travis Browne in First Round

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez wasted little time re-establishing his position in the division, taking out Travis Browne at UFC 200. read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner, Knockout Reaction from UFC 200

After more than a year away from the Octagon, Cain Velasquez is back in the heavyweight conversation with a first-round TKO win over Travis Browne on the main card at UFC 200 on Saturday. Bleacher Re read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Cain Velasquez Rolls Over Travis Browne

Former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez returned to the Octagon on Saturday on the UFC 200 main card against contender Travis Browne. read news >>

Cain Velasquez: ‘I Want the Winner of Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem (Video)

Following his first-round finish of Travis Browne at UFC 200, former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez wants to fight the winner of champion Stipe Moicic and Alistair Overeem. read news >>