UFC Executive: UFC Returning to Newcastle — Possibly with Abdul Mohamed


Abdul MohamedThe UFC will return to Newcastle, England, which played host to UFC 80 earlier this month, for an event in 2009.

Marshall Zelanik, the president of the UFC’s U.K. division, confirmed the return trip while speaking to Adam Steel of the The Evening Gazette.

UFC 80 took place Jan. 19 at Newcastle’s Metro Radio Arena. B.J. Penn defeated Joe Stevenson in the night’s main event to claim the UFC’s vacant lightweight title, and Fabricio Werdum defeated Gabriel Gonzaga with a second-round TKO to move up the heavyweight rankings. Despite a somewhat lackluster undercard, the event turned out to be a fairly solid hit. Only two fights went to a decision, and eight of the night’s nine fights aired on the pay-per-view broadcast.

The event also broke the venue’s box-office record. Without an athletic commission overseeing the event, the official numbers aren’t known. However, the UFC claims a paid attendance of 8,412 for a live gate of approximately $1.25 million.

When the organization does return in 2009, Zelanik specifically mentioned one area fighter who may be on the card: Cage Rage lightweight Abdul Mohamed (15-5-2).

It’s unusual for the UFC to comment on fighters signed to other organizations, but Zelanik left open the door when asked about the Cage Rage champion.

“You never know what the status of some contracts are, so you never want to interfere with anyone’s contract,”  Zelanik told The Evening Gazette. “We get a lot of interest from managers who lead us on to their fighters. I usually turn that over to our matchmaker Joe Silva and he evaluates them, and he is signing a lot of good fighters now from Europe and the UK.”

UFC President Dana White has publicly stated that the organization is losing “millions of dollars” as it attempts to penetrate the European market. However, in addition to the return trip to Newcastle, White has said that the UFC will hold shows this year in Croatia, Scotland and Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, the UFC is expected to return to London’s 02 Arena for a UFC 85 event on June 14.

(Touch of gloves: FightOpinion.com) 

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 5 days ago
  • 4 views

The UFC will return to movie theaters next month for UFC 181, which features a main event rematch between Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler, plus a lightweight title fight.Filed under: MMA Rumors, Ne read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort has passed a random drug test administered to him by Nevada's Athletic Commission earlier this month. The leading storyline in the build-up to Chris We read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 58 views

Anderson Silva had eight fights left on his UFC contract, including his return against Nick Diaz in January, but Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta apparently wanted more. White and Fertitta had dinner read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight competitor Matt Brown revealed that he would be interested in fighting former champion Georges St-Pierre upon the Quebec native’s potential return to the octagon. Since Georges St-Pi read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 7 views

UFC 179 fighters Phil Davis and Scott Jorgensen are facing potential six-month medical suspensions following this past weekend’s UFC 179 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 223 views

Now that the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared, it's time to find out who's worse for the wear following the carnage at UFC 179 this past weekend in Brazil. Ultimate Fighting Championship (U read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC made its return after a two-week long absence with UFC 179 last Saturday night (Oct. 25, 2014) in Rio. There were some great moments and some not-so-great moments that took place in Brazil (full read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

Anderson Silva had eight fights left on his UFC contract, including his return against Nick Diaz in January, but Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta apparently read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

Welterweight MMA veteran Roan Carneiro thinks his troubles with the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission will be resolved – despite a hefty $15,000 fine following a brilliant showing in a recent single read news >>

Jump to: