UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>

Alexander Volkov signs with UFC, faces Timothy Johnson at UFN 99

Longtime Bellator MMA fighter Alexander Volkov has made the transition to the UFC and will debut against Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99.There's been many Bellator MMA fighters who have ma read news >>

Anthony Hamilton says he's fighting Francis Ngannou at December's UFC 102 in Albany, N.Y.

It appears the UFC’s first visit to the New York state capital city has its first fight. Filed under: News read news >>

NSAC: Brock Lesnar readying supplement defense, Jon Jones gets flack for delay

It appears Brock Lesnar is preparing a defense following his UFC 200 positive drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Not-So-Humbled by Nevada's Bottle-Throwing Punishment | MMAWeekly.com

After the Nevada Athletic Commission dropped the hammer on Conor McGregor, it appears the punishment has done little to humble the brash Irish fighter. read news >>

Jose Aldo hopes to end UFC contract next week: 'They have the rights even over my breathing'

RIO DE JANEIRO – If it all goes according to plan, current interim champ Jose Aldo will be released from the UFC next week.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Comments on Potentially Signing Greg Hardy as UFC Fighter

On Wednesday, UFC President Dana White left open the possibility that former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy could one day appear in the UFC during an interview on FS1's Speak for Yourself, per MMA Figh read news >>