UFC Champion Benson Henderson Signs New 8-Fight Contract with the Promotion


UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 21 days ago
  • 17 views

Mike Kogan, UFC lightweight Nate Diaz's manager, discusses his client's return to the UFC and the contract dispute with the promotion. read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 3 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has inked a new 15-fight contract, all but assuring he will end his career in the Octagon. read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

Benson Henderson and Eddie Alvarez will look to rebound from recent losses in a meeting at UFC Fight Night 59, the BostonHerald.com reports.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship is stacking the deck for its Jan. 18 event in Boston, as Benson Henderson will fight Eddie Alvarez in lightweight action. read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

Benson Henderson has been slated to face Eddie Alvarez in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 59 at TD Garden on Jan. 18 in Boston, Mass, according to UFC officials Wednesday. Henderson (21-4) is co read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 0 views

Benson Henderson and Eddie Alvarez will meet at UFC Fight Night Boston on Jan. 18 card, officials confirmed on Wednesday. read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 3 views

The UFC's brass obviously has no plans of easing former Bellator MMA champ Eddie Alvarez into the mix in its stacked lightweight division. Roughly a month after watching him drop his promotional debu read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Dan Henderson appears determined to depart on his own terms. Despite losing four of his last five bouts and being 44 years old, the surefire Hall of Famer has expressed his desire to fight again in t read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

A familiar face returns to the UFC's welterweight division with the announced signing of Josh Burkman. MMA contracts can be odd things. Just last month MMAJunkie reported, that Josh Burkman had signe read news >>