UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Miesha Tate to Defend Title Against Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

Fresh off of signing a new contract, UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate will make the first defense of her title at this summer's UFC 200. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator Signs Three-Time All-American Wrestler Jarod Trice

Bellator MMA is proud to announce the signing of three-time All American wrestling prospect Jarod Trice to an exclusive, multi-fight contract. read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>

Benson Henderson's Bellator Debut Lands with a Thud, but There Is a Bright Side

In every sport with free agency, there are distinct schools of thought regarding its effectiveness. Is it better to pay huge sums of money to someone and risk him losing his edge due to complacency o read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup appears it'll be limited to Twitter

Khabib Nurmagomedov and Donald Cerrone clearly want to fight, but it appears the matchup may be limited to social media for now.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tiffany Van Soest signs with Invicta FC for MMA and GLORY for kickboxing

After long putting the brakes on talk of a potential permanent move to MMA, muay Thai vet and kickboxer Tiffany Van Soest seems to have found a solid alternative.Filed under: News read news >>

Benson Henderson not thinking of historic implications of winning Bellator title

Benson Henderson is just over a week away from his chance to become the first fighter in MMA history to win Bellator and UFC championship belts in a career.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

New York Governor Signs Historic MMA Bill into Law; UFC Stars in Attendance

The UFC was in attendance, with Chris Weidman and Ronda Rousey taking the stage with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, as he signed historic MMA legislation in New York. read news >>