UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Paige VanZant signs new contract with UFC, says she has fight booked

One day after it was reported that popular UFC strawweight Paige VanZant had only one fight left on her contract, she signed a new one and had her next fight booked. One of the most popular strawweig read news >>

McGregor says first $100 million UFC fighter contract is 'en route'

Ireland's Conor McGregor claimed that he is 'en route' to signing the UFC's first $100 million fighter contract. read news >>

Coker: Fedor signing a win-win for Spike TV and PRIDE’s Sakikabara

Bellator President Scott Coker discusses Fedor Emelianenko’s upcoming fight in Japan. read news >>

UFC and Bellator fighters react to Fedor signing and Dynamite on Twitter

All the best, worst and most public thoughts from all your favorite fighters around the MMA world as they watch Bellator 142: Dynamite from the sidelines. It was hardly a thrill a minute, but it was read news >>

Still bound by UFC contract, Cung Le wants retirement fight under Scott Coker

SAN JOSE -- Former UFC and Strikeforce star Cung Le spoke with MMA Fighting on Thursday about his current contract status with the UFC, why he wants to fight for Bellator and the possibility of there read news >>

Paige VanZant wants new contract before taking UFC fight against 'pissed' strawweight rival

Streaking Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight contender and Reebok it-girl Paige VanZant is slowly but surely creeping her way toward the upper echelon of the promotion's 115-pound divis read news >>

Paige VanZant re-ups with UFC, signs next fight

Paige VanZant asked for a new deal, and she got one. The popular strawweight prospect, who had one fight remaining on her UFC contract after recently defeating Alex Chambers, announced Thursday that read news >>

Paige VanZant, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Paige VanZant, the 21-year-old rising mixed martial arts star, already has three fights under the UFC banner and will have more in the future after agreeing to a new contract with the promotion. VanZ read news >>

Paige VanZant wants quick return, but also wants new contract first

Following her finish of Alex Chambers at UFC 191, Paige VanZant is looking for a fairly quick return to action. But she'd like to take care of her long-term future first. The emerging strawweight sta read news >>

Arlovski: Fedor signing with the UFC is a ‘BS rumor’

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski does not believe Fedor Emelianenko will sign with the UFC. read news >>