UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Benson Henderson Will Get His Second Bellator Title Shot in November

After failing to win the Bellator welterweight title, former UFC champion Benson Henderson will get his second crack at a Bellator belt in November. read news >>

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Appears to Have Broken UFC PPV Record

The UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 pay-per-view is trending to be the biggest grossing non-boxing event in pay-per-view history. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ben Askren Finally Set to Defend his ONE Championship Welterweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

It appears undefeated ONE Championship welterweight titleholder Ben Askren finally has a date for his next title defense. read news >>

Al Iaquinta Contract Dispute Nixes UFC New York Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Al Iaquinta had verbally agreed to fight at UFC New York, a fight he has wanted badly. Following a contract dispute, however, he is off the card. read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

• a day ago

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Interim champ Jose Aldo wants UFC contract terminated after Alvarez vs. McGregor booking

• a day ago

Former featherweight champ and now interim titleholder [autotag]Jose Aldo[/autotag] says he no longer wants to fight for the UFC. Following UFC 205’s main-event booking, a lightweight title affair be read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

• 15 hours ago

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

• 5 hours ago

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>