UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC 130 was hit with a major blow this week when the main event lightweight title bout between champion Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard was called off due to injuries to both fighters.

Several reports pointed to Edgar’s ribs as the primary factor in his withdrawal, but he spoke with UFC.com on Tuesday, clearing up the situation.

“All of the reports are talking about my ribs, it’s actually my back,” said Edgar. “My back’s been bothering me for quite some time. A few weeks ago I had to take a week off so that my back could calm down and I was trying to fight through it. I got through it and it kept blowing out on me here and there, but then I ended up blowing out a rib last week. My rib kept popping in and out and then last week my back went out on me really bad, so I went to see a doctor and he said I’ve got bulging discs and now I’m going to go see a specialist to see what he can do about it.”

Edgar said that he wanted to try and work through the pain and fight on May 28, but his back injury was so severe that he just couldn’t. He’s not even at 30 percent of his usual health.

“I saw a UFC doctor yesterday and he said my L2 and L5 discs are bulged, and he recommended that I don’t fight right now,” Edgar said. “I can’t even put my socks on or hold my kids, it’s pretty bad right now.”

Edgar wasn’t sure when he would be able to return. He is hoping to avoid surgery, and just be able to us rehab to get his back healthy.

“I’m hoping I can rehab it and get better and get back to training in a month, but I can’t give you any solid answer right now as to how long I’ll be out.”

Eddie Alvarez Has Conor McGregor in the Training Room | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of UFC 205 Embedded, Eddie Alvarez and Frankie Edgar get some motivation with Conor McGregor in the training room. read news >>

UFC strips Jon Jones of interim light heavyweight title on heels of one-year suspension

With Jon Jones sidelined by suspension once again, the UFC has stripped the longtime light heavyweight kingpin of his interim championship.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

Bellator champ Koreshkov not bothered by Lima's injury claims, but says all fighters deal with them

After losing Bellator’s welterweight belt to Andrey Koreshkov last year, Douglas Lima said that, impaired by injuries, he shouldn’t even have been in the cage that night. But the current champ, it se read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>