UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC 130 was hit with a major blow this week when the main event lightweight title bout between champion Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard was called off due to injuries to both fighters.

Several reports pointed to Edgar’s ribs as the primary factor in his withdrawal, but he spoke with UFC.com on Tuesday, clearing up the situation.

“All of the reports are talking about my ribs, it’s actually my back,” said Edgar. “My back’s been bothering me for quite some time. A few weeks ago I had to take a week off so that my back could calm down and I was trying to fight through it. I got through it and it kept blowing out on me here and there, but then I ended up blowing out a rib last week. My rib kept popping in and out and then last week my back went out on me really bad, so I went to see a doctor and he said I’ve got bulging discs and now I’m going to go see a specialist to see what he can do about it.”

Edgar said that he wanted to try and work through the pain and fight on May 28, but his back injury was so severe that he just couldn’t. He’s not even at 30 percent of his usual health.

“I saw a UFC doctor yesterday and he said my L2 and L5 discs are bulged, and he recommended that I don’t fight right now,” Edgar said. “I can’t even put my socks on or hold my kids, it’s pretty bad right now.”

Edgar wasn’t sure when he would be able to return. He is hoping to avoid surgery, and just be able to us rehab to get his back healthy.

“I’m hoping I can rehab it and get better and get back to training in a month, but I can’t give you any solid answer right now as to how long I’ll be out.”

Junior dos Santos Sidelined Following Surgery

Junior dos Santos suffered a shoulder injury in his fight with Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 86 in early April. read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Tony Ferguson injury scraps UFC on FOX 19 main event vs. Nurmagomedov; Evans-Teixeira headlines

An injury has scrapped another UFC main event less than two weeks before the fight. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cub Swanson vs. Hacran Dias shifts from prelims to UFC on FOX 19 main-card opener

With an injury on Tuesday scrapping the UFC on FOX 19 headliner, the event now has a new opening fight for the main card. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Explains Injury and #AnybodyButJon Movement (Video)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier explains how the injury occurred that forced him out of his rematch with former titleholder Jon Jones at UFC 197. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Video: UFC 196 Withdrawal, Conor McGregor, and What’s Next?

Rafael Dos Anjos gave an update on his injury recovery, hinted about his next opponent, and talked about Conor McGregor and the featherweight belt. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

Jon Jones Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shin and Return

UFC star Jon Jones is dealing with a bruised shin after defeating Ovince Saint Preux by unanimous decision to capture the interim 205-pound title belt at UFC 197 on Saturday. Continue for updates. Jo read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Arm and Recovery

Ovince Saint Preux had a golden opportunity at UFC 197, but he failed to capitalize and left the Octagon at a price. Continue for updates. Saint Preux Breaks Arm Saturday, April 23 UFC President Dana read news >>