UFC bantamweight champion Dominick CruzIt has been nearly two years since UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz last fought, and everyone wants to know when he will be back in action.

Unfortunately, Cruz has the same question as everyone else, as he has yet to be cleared by doctors to even begin full-on training.

Cruz, following a coaching stint opposite Urijah Faber on The Ultimate Fighter Live, was supposed to have defended his belt against his longtime rival last summer, but had to pull out of the fight due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during training.

He had surgery in May of 2012, repairing the knee with the ligament from a cadaver, which theoretically should have sped up his rehabilitation time.

Cruz’s body, however, rejected the foreign tissue, so he had to go back under the knife in late 2012 for a second ACL surgery. He’s been steadily working his way back, but doctor’s have kept him on the slow track to be sure he doesn’t suffer anymore setbacks.

If all goes as planned, Cruz could be back in the cage in early 2014.

“I’m looking to be back early next year,” the champ said in an interview with InsideMMA. “I can’t give an exact date because, the truth is, I haven’t even been cleared by a doctor.

“First three, four, five months (of 2014). I hate to say that because it’s so much time, but I have to be real with myself. I’ve already had double-ACL surgery. This isn’t a game.”

Renan Barão won the interim title during Cruz’s absence. And having been sidelined for so long, nearly everyone’s patience has been tested, Cruz’s as much as anyone’s. There has been an abundance of chatter about stripping Cruz of the belt.

That hasn’t happened, and it’s not going to happen, as long as Cruz continues on his current path to recovery.

“Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) sit and tell me, ‘No, we’re not taking anything from you.’ They’ve had my back in this situation,” said Cruz.

“They’ve been very, very supportive, and I’m very appreciative to the UFC for the rest of my life for the way they’ve taken care of me. They could have handled this several different ways. They’ve been very supportive.”

When Cruz returns, he wants to fight the interim champion and immediately unify the belts. It’s a fight that makes sense, and a fight that he, as champion, has every right to expect.

Barão has his next bout already lined up against Eddie Wineland at UFC 165 on Sept. 21 in Toronto, but it’s clear that Cruz is pulling for him. He wants Barão to be the man he first faces when he gets back in the Octagon.

“Renan Barão has beaten a lot of the same guys (as I have). This is a fight that I can come back and fight Renan,” Cruz declared. “That’s who I want right off the bat. If nothing else, I deserve to come back and get that title shot. It’s something that I think I’ve earned the right to.

“The truth is, I deserve that fight, and I’m gonna get it,” he continued. “I’m fighting time, and when I get back, I’ll be fighting Barão.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

White on UFC 200 Fight Card, 'Minds Will Be Blown,' Co-Main Still Unannounced

Early evening on Wednesday, the UFC announced several bouts for the long-awaited UFC 200. Topping the announcements was the main event: a rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor. Also announced read news >>

VIDEO: Dominick Cruz on Novelty Fights, Conor McGregor, and Legitimacy

Dominick Cruz weighs in on the legitimacy of "sensational" fights such as Kimbo Slice vs. Dada 5000, Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz, and why fans want to watch. read news >>

After a 17-month layoff, what can we expect with Cage Warriors' upcoming return?

Between 2010 and 2014, Graham Boylan helped Cage Warriors grow into one of the most well known MMA promotions in Europe. He’s now hoping to continue where he left off.Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber finding new ways to annoy each other all these years later (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Cruz and Faber aren't pulling any punches ahead of their long-awaited trilogy fight. read news >>

After break for Ramadan, UFC's Mairbek Taisumov wants more active schedule

ZAGREB, Croatia – After fighting three times for the UFC in 2014, UFC lightweight Mairbek Taisumov’s career seemed to slow after registering just two appearances in 2015. Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

UFC champ Cruz ahead of Faber fight: No one cared about division while I was gone

Dominick Cruz fought just one time from from late 2011 to early 2016, and he thinks that’s a reason no one really cared about his division during that time.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC 197 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, MMA has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media platforms. Check read news >>

UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic Early Full-Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 197 was a card showcasing the hottest young names in MMA. UFC 198, on the other hand, is likely to be a last hurrah for a number of old favorites. The UFC packed the card—booked to go down in Cur read news >>