UFC bantamweight champion Dominick CruzIt has been nearly two years since UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz last fought, and everyone wants to know when he will be back in action.

Unfortunately, Cruz has the same question as everyone else, as he has yet to be cleared by doctors to even begin full-on training.

Cruz, following a coaching stint opposite Urijah Faber on The Ultimate Fighter Live, was supposed to have defended his belt against his longtime rival last summer, but had to pull out of the fight due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during training.

He had surgery in May of 2012, repairing the knee with the ligament from a cadaver, which theoretically should have sped up his rehabilitation time.

Cruz’s body, however, rejected the foreign tissue, so he had to go back under the knife in late 2012 for a second ACL surgery. He’s been steadily working his way back, but doctor’s have kept him on the slow track to be sure he doesn’t suffer anymore setbacks.

If all goes as planned, Cruz could be back in the cage in early 2014.

“I’m looking to be back early next year,” the champ said in an interview with InsideMMA. “I can’t give an exact date because, the truth is, I haven’t even been cleared by a doctor.

“First three, four, five months (of 2014). I hate to say that because it’s so much time, but I have to be real with myself. I’ve already had double-ACL surgery. This isn’t a game.”

Renan Barão won the interim title during Cruz’s absence. And having been sidelined for so long, nearly everyone’s patience has been tested, Cruz’s as much as anyone’s. There has been an abundance of chatter about stripping Cruz of the belt.

That hasn’t happened, and it’s not going to happen, as long as Cruz continues on his current path to recovery.

“Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) sit and tell me, ‘No, we’re not taking anything from you.’ They’ve had my back in this situation,” said Cruz.

“They’ve been very, very supportive, and I’m very appreciative to the UFC for the rest of my life for the way they’ve taken care of me. They could have handled this several different ways. They’ve been very supportive.”

When Cruz returns, he wants to fight the interim champion and immediately unify the belts. It’s a fight that makes sense, and a fight that he, as champion, has every right to expect.

Barão has his next bout already lined up against Eddie Wineland at UFC 165 on Sept. 21 in Toronto, but it’s clear that Cruz is pulling for him. He wants Barão to be the man he first faces when he gets back in the Octagon.

“Renan Barão has beaten a lot of the same guys (as I have). This is a fight that I can come back and fight Renan,” Cruz declared. “That’s who I want right off the bat. If nothing else, I deserve to come back and get that title shot. It’s something that I think I’ve earned the right to.

“The truth is, I deserve that fight, and I’m gonna get it,” he continued. “I’m fighting time, and when I get back, I’ll be fighting Barão.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2014 with Andrew Sanchez, Jeremy Botter

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Andrew Sanchez and Jeremy Botter.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Radio read news >>

Building the Ultimate UFC 194 Fight Card

Damon Martin of Fox Sports recently reported that the UFC is targeting Dec. 5 as a potential date for Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate III. The amount of bad blood and ch read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw: Dominick Cruz Doesn't Deserve a Title Shot

It’s easy to imagine how former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz might be bitter. He never actually lost his belt. It was taken from him due to circumstance. His brain lights up with the knowl read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC 191: Johnson vs. Dodson Early Fight Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 190 and UFC 191 are polar opposites. UFC 190 was big on names, but short on actual title relevance. Old favorites and struggling vets were fighting for little more than pride. Even the most dieha read news >>

UFC Targeting Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor for Blockbuster Fight Card in Dallas

The UFC is targeting a fight card in Texas that will include title fights between Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate, as well as Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor. read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Shogun Rua Decisions Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua overcame some early adversity to win a unanimous decision win over Rogerio Nogueira in the UFC 190 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 190 results: Shogun survives early scare, beats Minotoro Nogueira again

Check out the result of the UFC 190 co-main event between Mauricio Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Ten years removed from their PRIDE classic in 2005, UFC light heavyweigh read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw slams Dominick Cruz: 'he hits like a little b*tch'

The reigning bantamweight champ fires back at Dominick Cruz. The war of words between bantamweight studs T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz has officially kicked off. 'The Dominator' fired the first sh read news >>

UFC lightweight Ben Henderson targeting November return in South Korea

With one fight left on his current UFC contract, former UFC lightweight champion Ben Henderson has his eyes on a November return to the Octagon in South Korea. Ben Henderson has always been one of th read news >>