UFC bantamweight champion Dominick CruzIt has been nearly two years since UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz last fought, and everyone wants to know when he will be back in action.

Unfortunately, Cruz has the same question as everyone else, as he has yet to be cleared by doctors to even begin full-on training.

Cruz, following a coaching stint opposite Urijah Faber on The Ultimate Fighter Live, was supposed to have defended his belt against his longtime rival last summer, but had to pull out of the fight due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during training.

He had surgery in May of 2012, repairing the knee with the ligament from a cadaver, which theoretically should have sped up his rehabilitation time.

Cruz’s body, however, rejected the foreign tissue, so he had to go back under the knife in late 2012 for a second ACL surgery. He’s been steadily working his way back, but doctor’s have kept him on the slow track to be sure he doesn’t suffer anymore setbacks.

If all goes as planned, Cruz could be back in the cage in early 2014.

“I’m looking to be back early next year,” the champ said in an interview with InsideMMA. “I can’t give an exact date because, the truth is, I haven’t even been cleared by a doctor.

“First three, four, five months (of 2014). I hate to say that because it’s so much time, but I have to be real with myself. I’ve already had double-ACL surgery. This isn’t a game.”

Renan Barão won the interim title during Cruz’s absence. And having been sidelined for so long, nearly everyone’s patience has been tested, Cruz’s as much as anyone’s. There has been an abundance of chatter about stripping Cruz of the belt.

That hasn’t happened, and it’s not going to happen, as long as Cruz continues on his current path to recovery.

“Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) sit and tell me, ‘No, we’re not taking anything from you.’ They’ve had my back in this situation,” said Cruz.

“They’ve been very, very supportive, and I’m very appreciative to the UFC for the rest of my life for the way they’ve taken care of me. They could have handled this several different ways. They’ve been very supportive.”

When Cruz returns, he wants to fight the interim champion and immediately unify the belts. It’s a fight that makes sense, and a fight that he, as champion, has every right to expect.

Barão has his next bout already lined up against Eddie Wineland at UFC 165 on Sept. 21 in Toronto, but it’s clear that Cruz is pulling for him. He wants Barão to be the man he first faces when he gets back in the Octagon.

“Renan Barão has beaten a lot of the same guys (as I have). This is a fight that I can come back and fight Renan,” Cruz declared. “That’s who I want right off the bat. If nothing else, I deserve to come back and get that title shot. It’s something that I think I’ve earned the right to.

“The truth is, I deserve that fight, and I’m gonna get it,” he continued. “I’m fighting time, and when I get back, I’ll be fighting Barão.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC 201 Early Weigh-in Results: Lawler vs. Woodley Set; Flyweight Bout Nixed

The UFC 201 welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Tyron Woodley is official for Saturday night's event in Atlanta. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Early Weigh-in Results: No Surprises in Salt Lake City

The UFC Fight Night 92 featherweight headliner between Yair Rodriguez and Alex Caceres is set following Friday’s early morning official weigh-in. read news >>

Conor McGregor Still Hasn't Talked with New UFC Owners, Praises Fertitta, White

A big part of the early days of Conor McGregor's UFC career was how he endeared himself with the UFC's ownership group. These new guys, though? He doesn't know them quite yet. Speaking with Ariel Hel read news >>

UFC 202: Neil Magny Reveals the Secrets of His MMA Durability

Since the calendar flipped to 2014, Neil Magny has competed 11 times in the UFC. That's a high number. After five fights per year in 2014 and 2015, his pace slowed in 2016, but in March he came back read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Results: Diaz vs. McGregor Rematch is Good to Go

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 is now set after Friday morning's early official weigh-in took place in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Video: Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor Make it Official

This is video of Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor officially weighing in Friday morning. There is a separate afternoon, ceremonial weigh-in for fans. read news >>

UFC 202 McGregor vs. Diaz: Early Weigh-In Results and Reaction

As is the new normal with the UFC, the actual weigh-ins for UFC 202 took place early on Friday. The staredowns and show will unfold later in the evening. This process gives the fighters crucial extra read news >>

UFC 202 Video: The Exchange with Nate Diaz – The Early Years

Megan Olivi sits down with Nate Diaz ahead of his rematch against Conor McGregor and talks about his early years. read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Video: I Don’t Respect Dominick Cruz, He’s a Point Fighter

Cody Garbrandt has no respect for UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, saying, "He's a point fighter." read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Cody Garbrandt Destorys Takeya Mizugaki, Calls Out Dominick Cruz

Eighth-ranked bantamweight contender Cody Garbrandt continued his rise up the 135-pound ladder on Saturday by taking out veteran Takeya Mizugaki in 48 seconds at UFC 202 in Las Vegas. read news >>