According to "Money," this fight will be a lot different than their first encounter, because he's a completely different fighter after getting knocked out by Aldo in round one back in 2012.

Since getting knocked out by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo in the very first round at UFC 142 back in 2012, Chad Mendes has gone on a tear.

"Money" has won five straight inside the Octagon, four by knockout (KO), including victories over Darren Elkins, Clay Guida and more recently at UFC on FOX 10, Nik Lentz.

His impressive run earned him another crack at Aldo, which is set to go down at UFC 176 on Aug. 2, 2014, from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. It's a rematch Mendes says he's been preparing for since he lost to Aldo two years ago.

And according to "Money," his drastic improvement during that time will be the difference maker in the rematch, as he proclaims during a recent appearance on The MMA Hour, that fight fans should expect a different outcome in the second go-round.

His words:

"I honestly believe, since that first fight, that I am a completely different fighter. Back then, I pretty much relied about 90-percent on my wrestling. Taking that fight, I probably wasn't ready for that fight. I think I had a couple of fights in the UFC, still trying to figure myself out as a fighter. I went in there, took the fight, you just don't turn those fights down in this sport. But, I felt that I was winning the first round or at least staying close with him. I obviously got caught. It's definitely something I'm going to pay attention to. There is a lot of studying I'm going to be doing. I feel like this fight will be a completely different fight."

As far as his gameplan, Mendes says he'll try to mix it all together, but, at the end of the day, he'll be looking to take Aldo's head off.

His breakdown:

"This is my chance. This is my opportunity. I'm going to train harder than I've ever trained before for any fight. I'm going to get in there looking to take Aldo's head off. I'm going to be smart. I'm going to mix up my wrestling. I'm going to put him on the mat. This is a fight that I need to be able to mix up very well, both wrestling and my striking. Obviously my cardio is going to be on point. I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff I did in the Guida fight. Cardio was something that I really paid attention to in that camp and I felt like that was the best shape I'd ever been in for any fight."

Since finishing Mendes at UFC 142, Aldo has defended his 145-pound title three consecutive times against the likes of Frankie Edgar, Chan Sung Jung and more recently, Ricardo Lamas at UFC 169.

The Brazilian bomber's streak has propelled him near the top of the pound-for-pound rankings -- not that he cares -- but his performance against "The Bully" in New Jersey drew the criticism of UFC President Dana White.

But, as Aldo continues his assault on the featherweight division, it seems he is well on his way to cleaning it out, as the rematch -- and victory --  against Mendes could signal the beginning of many run-backs for "Junior."

Anyone expect a different outcome when Aldo and Mendes hook 'em up for the second time? Can "Money" be the one to end Aldo's long-running reign atop the division?

Morning Report: Conor McGregor talks TUF with Urijah Faber, lessons learned from Chad Mendes and dates with Jose Aldo

Conor McGregor's had a busy summer. On July 11 he become the interim UFC featherweight champion and went straight into filming the next season of The Ultimate Fighter just days later. McGregor will c read news >>

Champ Jose Aldo didn't bother to watch Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes

• a day ago

UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo and his longtime coach Andre Pederneiras never gave Chad Mendes much of a chance to beat Conor McGregor when he stepped in to co-headline UFC 189 back in July. Filed read news >>

Jose Aldo still hasn't watched UFC 189: McGregor vs. Mendes

• 12 hours ago

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has no plans to watch Conor McGregor vs Chad Mendes. Jon Jones, Chad Mendes, Daniel Cormier and a host of other fighters have admitted to their obsession of watch read news >>

Jose Aldo Says He Was Joking About IV Ban, Talks UFC 194

• a day ago

LAS VEGAS — On the night of UFC 189, when Conor McGregor was fighting Chad Mendes for the UFC interim championship in Las Vegas, Jose Aldo was at a friend's house. He was not watching the fight. Inst read news >>

UFC champ Jose Aldo: Media misinterpreted my IV-ban comments

• a day ago

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo said the media misinterpreted his comments regarding the upcoming ban on IV rehydration.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Morning Report: Conor McGregor wanted Urijah Faber fight in Dublin before facing Jose Aldo at UFC 194

• 21 hours ago

Coaching on The Ultimate Fighter seems to have been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for interim UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor. Filming of season 22 lasted six weeks and just wrapped, read news >>

Conor McGregor willing to fight Urijah Faber in Dublin prior to UFC 194 showdown against Jose Aldo

• 19 hours ago

Be it contestant or coach, participating in The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) combat sports reality show can turn you psycho (just ask this veteran). But I would imagine that having a fight to prepare for a read news >>

Jose Aldo blames MMA media for mistranslating comments on IV ban, vows to follow USADA rules

• 18 hours ago

Those idiots in the MMA media have done it again. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo is perhaps the most outspoken champion in the entire promotion, lambasting h read news >>

Video: Chael Sonnen admits to being drunk on excitement for presidential candidate Donald Trump

• 17 hours ago

"History says the front runner at this point dies off and dies off hard. That said, Donald Trump is a little bit different. People actually know what they're getting into with Trump. His life has bee read news >>

Conor McGregor Says He Could Beat Urijah Faber in Dublin Before Jose Aldo

• 14 hours ago

Conor McGregor just wants to fight. Even if he has a fight scheduled for Dec. 12 at UFC 194 against longtime featherweight king Jose Aldo—which he does—McGregor would have no problem taking a fight i read news >>