LAS VEGAS – Demian Maia’s performance in the first round was a grappler’s dream. The next two were more like a nightmare, as Rory MacDonald stuffed takedown after takedown and battered an exhausted Maia en route to a unanimous decision victory (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
The welterweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC 170 event at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Maia wasted no time making his intentions for the fight known. The submissions ace shot for a takedown almost immediately, and soon got MacDonald to the mat and kept him there for most of the first round, dominating from the top position.
In the second frame, however, Maia began to fade as MacDonald came on in a big way, whacking him with body kicks and uppercuts as Maia slowed. The Brazilian went for broke in the third, shooting for one takedown after another but finding little success. He managed to get MacDonald to the mat once, but even then was too tired to capitalize on the opportunity. When MacDonald made it back to his feet, the beating quickly resumed.
By the end, Maia was bloodied and staggering from exhaustion. MacDonald still had more to give.
“The animal is back,” MacDonald said after the decision win. “I’m ready to kick some ass. I’m ready to kill. I’ve got my mindset back on track. I’m ready for that title.”
MacDonald (16-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) bounces back from his split decision loss to Robbie Lawler with the win. Maia (18-6 MMA, 12-6 UFC) has now lost two straight.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 170 results include:
- Rory MacDonald def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Pyle def. T.J. Waldburger via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:03
- Stephen Thompson def. Robert Whittaker via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:43
- Alexis Davis def. Jessica Eye via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Raphael Assuncao def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Aljamain Sterling def. Cody Gibson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Zach Makovsky def. Josh Sampo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Erik Koch def. Rafaello Oliveira via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:24
- Ernest Chavez def. Yosdenis Cedeno via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
For complete coverage of UFC 170, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
John Morgan and Matt Erickson contributed to this report on-site in Las Vegas.