HOUSTON – Hector Lombard’s debut at welterweight couldn’t have gone much better.

In quick fashion, the former Bellator middleweight champion shut down Nate Marquardt, the former Strikeforce welterweight champion, with a first-round knockout.

The welterweight bout was part of the preliminary card of today’s UFC 166 event at Toyota Center in Houston. It aired on FOX Sports 1 after additional prelims on Facebook and ahead of the pay-per-view main card.

Lombard stalked early as Marquardt circled outside. Marquardt tried to work some kicks to the body, but then Lombard chased him down. A little more than a minute in, the two tied up and each landed some heavy punches in close quarters before splitting apart.

And right after that, Lombard went to work in a scary way. He landed a right hand over the top, and Marquardt started moving backward. A right hand over the top was on the button, and a left hand came right behind that. He landed a left hand to finish things off, and Marquardt was done less than two minutes into the fight.

“I feel great. A few people doubted me that I could make 170, but I did it easier than when I was at 185,” Lombard said. “I think Dana White, Joe Silva, the rest of the UFC was right for me to cut down to 170 – I was wrong, and they were right.”

“He wanted this fight, he asked for this fight, so I did what I needed to do,” Lombard said. “He is a good fighter with a lot of fights in his career and was a champion in Strikeforce. He said he wanted to stand and trade, but he started backing up and I caught him. I wanted to make sure I finished him. I had a lot of motivation to do this.”

“It’s hard to say what happened this close after the fight,” Marquardt said. “I rocked him early on. He’s just a very good finisher – he had me hurt. I never really had that happen to me before. He fought great. He fought an in-shape, focused Nate Marquardt and won. I have no excuses.”

Lombard (33-4-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is back in the win column after a split-decision loss to Yushin Okami in March and he’s back to even at 2-2 in the UFC. Marquardt (32-13-2 MMA, 10-6 UFC) now has lost three straight and two in a row by first-round knockout.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 166 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 166, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Houston.

Lombard: Hendricks was passed over for title shot because he’s a ‘blanket’

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard appeared on Submission Radio to discuss former champion Johny Hendricks. read news >>

Hector Lombard: Johny Hendricks is a blanket, Patrick Cote won't fight me, and Carlos Condit is getting smashed

The world according to "Showeather." Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight contender Hector Lombard recently assessed the promotion's 170-pound division, and outside of some faint praise read news >>

Listen: Submission Radio w/ Hector Lombard, Patrick Cummins, David Branch

This week, Submission Radio chat with Hector Lombard, Pat Cummins and WSOF Middleweight champion David Branch. Also, hosts Kacper and Denis break down UFC 191 and discuss just how strong the UFC 193 read news >>

John Lineker 'not turning back on' flyweight, but 'I'll be champ at' bantamweight

LAS VEGAS – After a successful debut at bantamweight that included a $50,000 fight-night bonus, John Lineker isn’t making any plans to head back down a division. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Paige VanZant vs. Alex Chambers: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from UFC 191

Rising star Paige VanZant made a successful pay-per-view debut to kick off the UFC 191 card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The 21-year-old defeated Alex Chambers via submission (armbar) in the third read news >>

UFC 191 results: Joaquim Silva wins UFC debut, Riggs takes a DQ win

Veteran Joe Riggs won his 58th pro fight when Ron Stallings got disqualified for an illegal upkick and UFC debutante Joaquim Silva took a split decision win over Nazareno Malegarie. UFC 191 opened wi read news >>

UFC 191 Photos

At UFC 191, MMA Fighting's Esther Lin is on the scene in Las Vegas. read news >>

Joaquim Silva plans to 'share a meal and a laugh' with opponent after UFC 191

Joaquim Silva views his UFC debut as a serious affair. Regardless of outcome, though, he said there are no hard feelings toward UFC 191 opponent Nazareno Malegarie.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 191 weigh in photo gallery feat. Demetrious Johnson, John Dodson, and more from Las Vegas

UFC 191 weigh in photos gallery for Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson, featuring all 24 fighters tipping the scale inside inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, for tomorrow night's (Sat read news >>

UFC 191 weigh-in photos

Check out Esther Lin's weigh-in photos from Friday's UFC 191 event in Las Vegas. read news >>