UFC 166 headliner Junior dos Santos discusses recent cut that required stitches


junior-dos-santos-ufc-166-cut.jpgHOUSTON – UFC 166 apparently came a little too close to losing its heavily promoted headliner.

Junior dos Santos (16-2 MMA, 10-1 UFC), who looks to reclaim his heavyweight title when he meets reigning champion Cain Velasquez (12-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) in Saturday’s pay-per-view main event, suffered a recent cut in training that required stitches.

Luckily, it wasn’t serious enough to force him off the card, which takes place at Houston’s Toyota Center.

“It was in the training (camp), and it was accidental,” he told MMAjunkie.com at today’s UFC 166 open workouts. “But I’m OK already. … I’m 100 percent already.”

Dos Santos said the cut occurred about three weeks ago, and though it required three stitches, he said they’ve since been removed and that it’s no longer an issue. He said he doesn’t expect any issues in Saturday’s bout, which is good news for UFC officials and their massive marketing campaign for the event.

However, in a significant rubber match bout between fighters who split their first two meetings, they’ll likely look for any advantage. For Velasquez, that could mean targeting the scar, which is visible just to the left of dos Santos’ right eyebrow.

As far as facial cuts go, though, it’s not in the absolute worst position. However, there’s certainly the possibility of blood affecting his vision if the cut reopens.

For more on UFC 166, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

Junior dos Santos fought tough battles in his past UFC fights, and underwent two surgeries on Thursday. The former UFC heavyweight champion, who defeated Stipe Miocic via unanimous decision in Decemb read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 28 views

I guess that rules out a Travis Browne fight. After a 25-minute war against Stipe Miocic, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White warned the mixed martial arts (MMA) community that read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 53 views

LAS VEGAS -- During a scrum at UFC 182, Travis Browne talks about wanting a rematch with Fabricio Werdum, his personal expectations, the conversation Joe Rogan had with Brendan Schaub following their read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 18 views

Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight Travis Browne is slowly-but-surely creeping his way back into the 265-pound title chase, after grounding and pounding Brendan Schaub at the UFC 18 read news >>