TORONTO – After a lot of prefight talk, Brendan Schaub let his arms do some jaw-jacking.
Schaub choked Matt Mitrione unconscious with a first-round D’Arce choke a little more than four minutes into their fight – certainly one way to take talking out of the equation.
The heavyweight bout was part of today’s UFC 165 event at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.
Schaub put his hand up to touch gloves as the fight started, but Mitrione would have none of it. Mitrione grazed Schaub with a right hand, but the two then swung wildly, each looking for the quick knockout.
Already cut, Schaub landed a big right hand that cut Mitrione. Mitrione tried to answer with a head kick, and Schaub came forward for a takedown that Mitrione shrugged away. Schaub pushed forward with a big combination that backed Mitrione up. Mitrione smiled his way through it, but Schaub picked him up for a strong takedown.
And on the ground, Schaub imposed his will. He went after a choke, and with referee Dan Miragliotta looking in, Mitrione gave thumbs-up. But Schaub had it in tight, and seconds later, Mitrione was unconscious from the D’Arce choke with Miragliotta pulling Schaub off.
“This is the happiest I’ve ever been,” Schaub said. “I’ve caught a lot of top-caliber jiu-jitsu guys in that move, so once I got it, I knew I had it.”
Schaub (10-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) won for the second straight time after his February win over Lavar Johnson, which snapped a two-fight skid. Mitrione (6-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) is back in the loss column after an April knockout over Philip De Fries in just 19 seconds.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 165 results include:
- Brendan Schaub def. Matt Mitrione via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 1, 4:06
- Francis Carmont def. Constantinos Philippou via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Myles Jury def. Mike Ricci via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Wilson Reis def. Ivan Menjivar via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28
- Stephen Thompson def. Chris Clements via KO (punches) – Round 2, 1:27
- Mitch Gagnon def. Dustin Kimura via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:05
- John Makdessi def. Renee Forte via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:01
- Michel Prazeres def. Jesse Ronson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Alex Caceres def. Roland Delorme via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Daniel Omielanczuk def. Nandor Guelmino via KO (punches) – Round 3, 3:18
For complete coverage of UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
John Morgan, Ben Fowlkes and Mike Bohn contributed to this report on-site in Toronto.
view original article >>