RIO DE JANEIRO – It started with a left hook in the opening seconds. Cezar Ferreira landed it, Thiago Santos felt it, and it signaled the beginning of the end as Ferreira seized the opportunity to lock up a guillotine choke for the submission finish 47 seconds into the fight.
The middleweight bout took place today at UFC 163 at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena. It aired as part of the pay-per-view main card following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Ferreira hardly broke a sweat in his victorious effort. The winner of the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” had Santos hurt early, and didn’t let up. He locked on the arm-in guillotine while Santos was still woozy, and that was all it took to force the tap.
“I saw that he had his guard down so I decided to use that opportunity,” Ferreira said via an interpreter after the win. “I went in and was able to finish him with a guillotine.”
Ferreira (6-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is undefeated in the UFC since winning TUF: Brazil last June. Santos (8-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) suffers defeat in his UFC debut, and has now lost two of his last three.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 163 results include:
- Cezar Ferreira def. Thiago ‘Marreta’ Santos via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:47
- Thales Leites def. Tom Watson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- John Lineker def. Jose Maria via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:03
- Anthony Perosh def. Vinny Magalhaes via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:14
- Amanda Nunes def. Sheila Gaff via TKO (elbows) – Round 1, 2:08
- Sergio Moraes def. Neil Magny via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:13
- Ian McCall def. Iliarde Santos via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Rani Yahya def. Josh Clopton via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Francimar Barroso def. Ednaldo Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Viscardi Andrade def. Bristol Marunde via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:36
For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Rio de Janeiro.