anderson-silva-45.jpgOne day after telling a group of reporters that he didn’t think he could beat Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC), UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) is apparently doing a bit of an about face.

With a looming potential superfight on the horizon with UFC light heavyweight champ Jones, Silva wanted to make it perfectly clear that he’s not intimated by the bigger man.

“My opinion is this: I’ll fight Jon Jones, all the guys from my class, all the guys that work in the UFC – all the fighters,” Silva said on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight.” “I respect all the fighters. I respect Jon Jones. I respect Chris Weidman, but I’m here for working.

“I’m not scared of Jon Jones, of Chris Weidman or whoever. I’m here to fight. That’s it. It’s simple.”

Silva, of course, is booked in the main event of Saturday night’s UFC 162 event at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena, where he takes on undefeated challenger Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC). As you would expect of a fighter who is 16-0 in the octagon, Silva is the betting favorite in the matchup.

However, Weidman’s skillset has made him a fashionable underdog pick, even among UFC veterans, including “UFC Tonight” hosts Chael Sonnen and Kenny Florian.

Silva said that’s just fine with him.

“It’s a great fight on Saturday night because Weidman has good jiu-jitsu, good wrestling, good standup,” Silva said. It’s a great fight.”

For Weidman, UFC 162 represents what is unquestionably the biggest fight of his career. But there may be much on the line for Silva, as well, as UFC President Dana White has suggested a win will put “The Spider” in a superfight with either Jones or UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC).

Silva remained coy when asked what victory could bring.

“I don’t know,” Silva said. “I have my plans in my class.

“I don’t have a big goal to change my class. I have my belt in my class. I have my story in my class. That’s it.”

It’s just the latest smoke screen from Silva, who never seems to answer things with a response that doesn’t take a little bit of deciphering. If you believe White, it’s all part of the middleweight champ’s master plan to confuse the media, quite possibly just for his own entertainment.

Whatever the reason, Silva isn’t tipping his hand just yet.

“I respect all the fighters,” Silva said. “I respect Georges St-Pierre because Georges has a great story in the UFC. I respect all the fighters in here because this is the biggest sport in the world.

“This is the UFC. UFC has the best fighters in the world. That’s it.”

For the latest on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Anderson Silva)

Anderson Silva Calls for Michael Bisping Rematch, Suggests Manchester UFC Fight

Legendary fighter Anderson Silva thinks UFC Middleweight champion Michael Bisping is “afraid” to face him in a rematch. The Brazilian lost to Bisping narrowly in London earlier this year in a pulsati read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Daniel Cormier Will Fight Anderson Silva at UFC 200; Tate vs. Nunes to Headline

Daniel Cormier will remain on the UFC 200 fight card to fight Anderson Silva. The card has been shuffled, moving Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes to headlining status. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Presser, Including Anderson Silva!

Watch as surprise guest Anderson Silva, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Fight Night 90 Post-Fight Press Conference with Special Guest Anderson Silva

Watch as Anderson Silva crashes the party, and then several of the key UFC Fight Night 90 fighters, field questions from the media at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

VIDEO: Anderson Silva and Dana White Explain Making the Fight with Daniel Cormier

UFC president Dana White and Anderson Silva talk about how it came about that Silva is stepping in to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200. read news >>

Anderson Silva steps up to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

After a earth-shattering last 24 hours, Daniel Cormier found an opponent for UFC 200: UFC legend Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Here's how it all came together and what Silva said about his fight. read news >>

Anderson Silva a Betting Underdog Against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is a betting underdog going into his UFC 200 fight against Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Cormier vs. Silva: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 200

After the initial furore over Anderson Silva stepping in to face Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 following Jon Jones' removal from the card, it was time for the pair to weigh in ahead of their clash on Sat read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Daniel Cormier Grabs Unanimous Decision Over Anderson Silva

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier went the distance with Anderson Silva on Saturday, picking up a unanimous decision on the UFC 200 main card at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>