john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Travis Browne not thinking about potential distractions ahead of UFC Fight Night 81

BOSTON – Travis Browne will have a No. 6 next to his name on Sunday when he fights Matt Mitrione, who will have a 14. But numbers don’t interest Browne. Letters do.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

Michael Bisping's plan: 'Destroy Anderson Silva,' get long-awaited title shot

Michael Bisping has no doubt he’s going to have his way with Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 83. When he does, he said he plans to “demand” a UFC title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

CM Punk Reveals 8-Fight UFC Plan, Expects 'Disappointed' Fans After Debut Bout

CM Punk indicated that he has signed an eight-fight UFC deal and has prepared his detractors to be "disappointed" when he wins his debut clash later this year. The former WWE star is adamant that his read news >>

Chauncey Foxworth’s WSOF Game Plan is Simple, Dominate Every Second

Heading into his World Series of Fighting debut, Chauncey Foxworth's game plan is a simple one: dominate every second of the fight. read news >>

Conor McGregor’s Plan was Always to Hold Two UFC Titles at the Same Time

From the moment he signed his name on the UFC contract in 2013, Conor McGregor's plan was to hold two UFC world titles at the same time. read news >>

Oddsmaker Joey Oddessa: Miocic upsetting Werdum is 'wishful thinking'

With Cain Velasquez’s withdrawal from UFC 196, oddsmakers had to reevaluate the night’s main event. In the eyes of MMAjunkie oddsmaker Joey Oddessa, the crown will stay firmly planted atop the head o read news >>

Conor McGregor at Croke Park in Dublin? Not any time soon, it seems

Conor McGregor had a plan to knock out Jose Aldo and then do a stadium show in his native Dublin. He accomplished the first task in short order. The second? Well, plans change.Filed under: Featured V read news >>

Mickey Gall's master plan is paying off (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Mickey Gall had a plan to make himself known – fight CM Punk. Now all he has to do is beat Mike Jackson. read news >>

Mickey Gall's master plan is paying off (Yahoo Sports)