john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC 207's Cody Garbrandt has been thinking about a fight with Dominick Cruz since he was a kid

The way Cody Garbrandt is looking at his title shot next week against Dominick Cruz, he’s fulfilling a destiny.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC ditches plans for March 3 event in Las Vegas on eve of UFC 209

The UFC’s initial plan for a dual-event weekend in March has changed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Women's featherweight division was 'never the plan, but now we're in'

UFC president Dana White says that, after the recently-created women’s 145-pound division, there are no plans for new weight divisions in the UFC in 2017.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Video: Before his upcoming return, watch B.J. Penn's 2009 title fight with Kenny Florian

Ahead of his upcoming return in UFC Fight Night 103’s headliner, check out one of former champion B.J. Penn’s vintage performances.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Wants to Give Dominick Cruz an Immediate Rematch (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Newly crowned bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt talks about his UFC 207 win and says he wants to give former titleholder Dominick Cruz an immediate rematch. read news >>

Watch BJ Penn Tap Out Kenny Florian (UFC Phoenix Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn and Kenny Florian meet in the main event of UFC 101. BJ Penn returns against Yair Rodriguez at UFC Fight Night Phoenix. read news >>

TJ Dillashaw Makes His Case for Next Title Shot (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw talks about his one-sided UFC 207 win over John Lineker and thinks that he deserves to fight for the title next. read news >>

EA Sports UFC 2 simulation: Safe to say video game got Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey wrong

It may be a moot point now, but it’s pretty safe to say the MMA industry’s most prominent game simulation for this past Friday’s UFC 207 main event was off … off by quite a bit, actually.Filed under: read news >>

Photos: Best images from UFC 207, including two title fight upsets

The UFC’s final event of 2016 was a memorable one, to say the least. Now you can take a look back at the card through the lens of USA TODAY Sports photographer Mark J. Rebilas.Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Neil Magny Wants a Top Five Opponent Next (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Rising welterweight Neil Magny talks about his UFC 207 win over former champion Johny Hendricks and says that he wants to face a top five opponent next. read news >>