john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Ronda Rousey Skips Miesha Tate Trilogy, Faces Holly Holm at UFC 195

Although Miesha Tate was the initial plan for Ronda Rousey's next title defense, inexplicably, she has been set to the side in favor of Holly Holm. read news >>

Acupuncture mishap ruled Mitch Clarke out of Sunday's UFC Fight Night 74 event

Mitch Clarke has a good – and odd – reason for why he won’t be fighting at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 74 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Comeback: Brock vs. Dana, Kennedy's missing jersey, Schaub thinking retirement

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Tuesday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Feat read news >>

Anthony Pettis Aiming for 2015 Return, Possibly as dos Anjos vs. Cerrone Back-up Plan

Plotting his return from injury, former UFC champ Anthony Pettis is aiming to be a possible back-up plan for Rafael dos Anjos vs. Donald Cerrone. read news >>

Chad Mendes can't sleep because of loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 189

"Sometimes I lay in bed still thinking about it," Mendes said about his loss to McGregor. UFC 189 marked the third time Chad Mendes had stepped into the Octagon to challenge for the featherweight tit read news >>

Beneil Dariush and Rafael dos Anjos' plan for avoiding title showdown? Welterweight

UFC lightweight Beniel Dariush has a problem, if he ever wants to fight for a title. But he and teammate Rafael dos Anjos have worked out a potential solution, for one of them, at least.Filed under: read news >>

After long wait, Ovince Saint Preux finally gets home bout at UFC Fight Night 73

NASHVILLE – Ovince Saint Preux has been thinking about this week since April. He’s been thinking about this week before he even knew he had to be thinking about this week.Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

UFC Nashville Video: The Exchange with Ovince Saint Preux

Light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux talks about his recent wins, his game plan, his training and more as he prepares to battle Glover Teixeira at Fight Night Nashville. read news >>

Morning Report: Daniel Cormier lays out game plan to beat Ronda Rousey, "Piss her off"

After watching Ronda Rousey dismantle Bethe Correia at UFC 190, not many analysts are offering up ideas on how to solve the UFC women's bantamweight champion. Well, UFC light heavyweight champion Dan read news >>

Teamsters announce plan to organize UFC fighters

Two national unions, UNITE and Teamsters, announced today they are going to try and organize the fighters of the UFC. UNITE HERE has announced an initiative alongside the Teamsters to try and organiz read news >>