john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Nate Marquardt: 'God has a plan for me and it's in the UFC for sure'

UFC 188's Nate Marquardt explains some issues he was dealing with before his bout with Kelvin Gastelum, and says that his future is in the UFC. Nate Marquardt has been in a lot of wars at both middle read news >>

Nate Marquardt on future: 'God has a plan for me and it's in the UFC for sure'

Nate Marquardt is sure that his future lies in the UFC, regardless of his recent run of tough luck in the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 138's Daniel Straus doesn't plan to be Henry Corrales' stepping-stone

Daniel Straus is a former Bellator MMA champion and tournament winner. He’s historically faced the biggest names the Bellator featherweight division has to offer, but that won’t be the case at Bellat read news >>

How Fabricio Werdum became unlikely 'baddest man on planet' by following own plan

First he told us how he’d do it, and then he showed us. Now Fabricio Werdum, of all people, is the UFC heavyweight champion at age 37 while Cain Velasquez gets to second-guess all the wrong moves he read news >>

UFC champ Cain Velasquez: 'There's no surprise what my game plan is'

MEXICO CITY – UFC heavyweight champion [autotag]Cain Vealsquez[/autotag] hasn't stepped in the octagon for nearly 20 months, but if you're expecting some new twist to his game, think again. Relentles read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has a game plan, vows to 'stay the champion' at the expense of Jessica Penne in Germany

After winning the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Strawweight title at UFC 185 in March, Polish powerhouse Joanna Jedrzejczyk aims to make her first successful title defense against No. 1 conten read news >>

Erick Silva details game plan against Rick Story, vows to 'end the fight as soon as possible'

Erick Silva talks about his upcoming bout against Rick Story, his gameplan and how the change in locations affected his training. Erick Silva wants to get noticed in the welterweight division once ag read news >>

Conor McGregor's UFC 189 World Tour antics were part of carefully crafted plan

LAS VEGAS -- If you thought Conor McGregor's UFC 189 World Tour histrionics were just for show, think again. Not only was McGregor doing a damn good job selling his main event against UFC featherweig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68: Dustin Poirier Talks End-of-Year Plan, Medeiros, McGregor

Dustin "The Diamond" Poirier wanted a fight in his home state of Louisiana, but he knew he'd have to earn it. Heading into his UFC Fight Night 63 bout in April against Carlos Diego Ferreira, Poirier read news >>

RFA 26 is Next Step in the Clinton Williams Breakout Plan

Clinton Williams believes 2015 is his year to break out, and Friday's RFA 26 is his next step into the limelight. read news >>