UFC 161's 'thinking fighter' John Maguire prefers having no game plan

• submit to reddit

john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

If anyone's qualified to weigh in on the UFC's decision to cut Jason High after shoving referee Kevin Mulhall at UFC Fight Night 42, it's go-to ref and MMA pioneer "Big" John McCarthy. McCarthy, who began his career at UFC 2 in 1994, talked frankly with Submission Radio about the company's decision to part ways with High after he pushed Mulhall following a questionable stoppage loss to Raphael dos Anjos. Absolutely there has to be varying degrees of punishment, but it has to be a punishment that more

All that glitters, it would seem, is not gold. As real as it gets? EA Sports UFC, the latest entry into the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) video game market, hit store shelves last week (June 17, 2014) to much fanfare. Unfortunately, it only managed to pull a score of 71 on MetaCritic (6.5 user score) for PlayStation 4. That's a C- in academic terms. The publishing giant earned high marks in terms of appearance, as the game "looks great" and has "incredible detail." But on the flip side, u more

Tommy Toe Hold loves the new UFC video game, but what better way to poke fun at a few minor glitches than to have Fake Rogan and Fake Goldie lay down some serious commentary? more

AUCKLAND, New Zealand – MMAjunkie reporter John Morgan and guest prognosticator Brett Bonetti, an Australian journalist, break down the top fights at Saturday’s early-morning UFC Fight Night 43 event.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

John S. Nash tries to answer the question with Paul Gift, a Pepperdine Professor of Economics, and David Dudley, a former FTC antitrust lawyer. Is the UFC a monopoly? This is a question I had been hoping to answer in an article for some time. Since its also a subject I am by no means an expert in I have spent a great deal of time researching it, reading AntiTrust Law Developments and Monopsony in Law and Economics and picking the brains of Dr. James B. Dworkin of Purdue University North Central, more

The EA Sports UFC video game was recently released. But as good as it is, how did it do in predicting the outcomes of UFC 175's headlining bouts? more

Will we see an upset or two at the top of Saturday’s UFC 175 card? EA Sports’ new UFC game doesn’t seem to think so. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

By most counts, John Dodson is the No. 1 contender to UFC flyweight champion Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson’s belt. It appears that it will be a while before he’ll have an opportunity to cash in on his position, however. more

UFC flyweight John Dodson will be out for approximately 12 months after undergoing ACL surgery on Wednesday. One of the top flyweights in the UFC will be out of action for the next year. Former 125lb. title contender John Dodson underwent ACL surgery on Wednesday and will be on the sidelines for the next 6-8 months before even returning to the gym. FOX Sport's Damon Martin initially reported the news. The surgery was performed to repair the ACL as well as a torn meniscus. Once he completes the r more