john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told Radio ( “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site. Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to

Video: Derrick Lewis planned to 'rope-a-dope' opponent before UFC 192 KO win

HOUSTON – Derrick Lewis said his game plan was to tire his opponent before scoring a big knockout win in the third round of his heavyweight bout with Viktor Pesta at UFC 192. Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Derrick Lewis' plan for turning things around: Going to church, reading the Bible

HOUSTON – There’s little doubt that Derrick Lewis is physically capable of knocking out anyone in the UFC’s heavyweight division. Yet he’s struggled to get any sort of consistency going. “The Black B read news >>

Daniel Cormier not thinking about Jon Jones: 'He's got some things still to figure out'

HOUSTON – In a way, you’ve almost got to feel bad for Daniel Cormier. The guy can’t quite seem to get out of Jon Jones’ shadow. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 192's Joseph Benavidez calls Bagautinov 'plan B,' vents on Cejudo snub

Two-time UFC flyweight title challenger Joseph Benavidez sees his Saturday fight with Ali Bagautinov as “plan B.” In other words, the next best thing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlig read news >>

UFC fighter banned from visiting sick kids in hospital because MMA is scary and violent

Finally, someone is thinking about the children!!! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is expected to sell out the 60,000 Etihad Stadium when it brings its brand of mixed martial arts to Melbourne t read news >>

Lyoto Machida calls out Michael Bisping for UFC return

If everything goes according to plan, former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida will make his Octagon return in the early part of 2016, after taking a break read news >>

Ryan Couture praises Bellator's plan: Not 'just being a last name that people recognize'

Bellator lightweight Ryan Couture might still be best known as the son of former UFC champion and Hall of Famer Randy Couture, but he’s trying his best to forge his own path in the sport, and he thin read news >>

Jim and Dan Miller's post-MMA plan? 'Building, hunting, fishing, brewing, camping' – on TV

After a combined 53 pro fights, Jim Miller and Dan Miller have begun to ponder what life is going to be like after they leave behind the world of unarmed combat. Their idea for that life could soon b read news >>

Paul Daley's plan: Fernando Gonzalez, then Bellator title, then Josh Koscheck

Bellator welterweight Paul Daley expects his kickboxing match with Fernando Gonzalez to be a prelude to a title shot against MMA champ Andrey Koreshkov in February or March of next year. Filed under: read news >>

UFC's Mitch Clarke tells story of acupuncture needle 'shaped like a Z' stuck in arm

Saskatoon-born Mitch Clarke missed out on the opportunity to fight at UFC Fight Night 74 – the first UFC card in the Sasketchawan province – for the oddest of reasons.Filed under: Featured Videos, Ne read news >>