edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC Fight Night 71's Kevin Lee on why he's 'America's worst nightmare'

SAN DIEGO – Kevin Lee has been waiting for the opportunity for the UFC to let him shine, but he’s worried that as “a young, black, outspoken kid” they might not want to put him out there.Filed under: read news >>

They said what!? The fighters react to the TUF 21 Finale on Twitter

All the best, worst, and most public fighter reactions from the UFC's own as they watch the TUF 21 Finale from the sidelines. It's been a busy week in UFC town (and really it's not over). We just got read news >>

UFC 189 Results: Robbie Lawler Lifts New-Look UFC with Old-School Slugfest

On a UFC 189 fight card that at times felt like a flying leap into MMA’s future, Robbie Lawler served up an old-school slugfest in the evening’s co-main event. It turns out you can drape Lawler in hi read news >>

The fighters react to UFC 189: McGregor vs. Mendes on Twitter

All the best, worst and most public fighter reactions from the UFC's own as they watched the fights at UFC 189 unfold from the sidelines. What a main card, what a night what an incredible string of f read news >>

UFC 189 results: Jeremy Stephens prevails over Dennis Bermudez in slugfest

Dennis Bermudez has proven he likes to get down and dirty. His Fight of the Year contender bout with Matt Grice in 2013 is all the evidence you need. That also happens to be Jeremy Stephens' favorite read news >>

UFC 189 results: Matt Brown chokes out Tim Means in first after slugfest

LAS VEGAS – Matt Brown overcame some scary moments in his UFC 189 bout with Tim Means before sinking in a fight-winning guillotine choke.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 189 results: Cody Garbrandt outstrikes Henry Briones for unanimous decision

LAS VEGAS – After hinting at a slugfest for three rounds, Cody Garbrandt and Henry Briones finally threw caution to the wind and slung leather. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Best and Worst from Invicta 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin

International Fight Week's busy schedule kicked off Thursday night with Invicta 13, live from Las Vegas. It was a card that boasted three title fights and plenty of talent, which is why it was antici read news >>

UFC 189 Embedded, Episode 5: 'I want to have a right hand that I can sock Conor in the face with'

In the fifth episode of UFC 189 Embedded, Chad Mendes goes out on a boat with his Team Alpha Male teammates and sets off Fourth of July fireworks, which Conor McGregor gets in final preparations for read news >>

GRAPHIC! Check out this video of the worst broken noses in UFC & MMA history

Check out a gruesome montage of the worst broken noses in UFC and MMA history. read news >>