edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

From Around the Web

Video: 'Gracie Breakdown' for worst stoppage in UFC history, flying triangle, and more from UFC Fight Night 62

There has been several poor stoppages in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) history, but arguably the worst stoppage of all time occurred this past Saturday night (March 21, 2015) in Rio de Janeiro read news >>

Will Conor McGregor's Antics Bring out the Best or Worst in Jose Aldo?

UFC 189’s promotional “world tour” wrapped up in Dublin on Tuesday, with Jose Aldo, Conor McGregor and the excitement for their featherweight title fight all still alive and well. But there were some read news >>

Why the UFC's "world tour" might have been the best worst thing for Jose Aldo

As the UFC 189 tour made its last stop in Dublin, featherweight champ Jose Aldo was met with a torrent of abuse from the Irish fans. It might have been unpleasant, but it might also have been just wh read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Pranked in the Worst Way for April Fools Day

With a win over former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, Luke Rockhold is possibly in line for a middleweight title shot between the winner of Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort. Rockhold and Ma read news >>

5 Rounds with Jonathan Snowden: Best and Worst from UFC Fight Night 63

On a normal fight night I tend to wake up, look at the clock and dread the 14 listless hours I know I'll spend waiting for the fights to finally begin. Those are truly wasted hours too—after all, not read news >>

Frank Mir vs. Todd Duffee headlines UFC Fight Night card in San Diego

A heavyweight slugfest will headline the UFC's return to San Diego. Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will tangle with Todd Duffee in the main event of the UFC Fight Night card on July 15 at read news >>

Fighter reactions to UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. CroCop 2 on Twitter

The best, worst, and most public of UFC fighter reactions as a bevy of UFC talent took to Twitter to voice their opinion on the latest card of UFC Fights. Today the subject was UFC Fight Night Krakow read news >>

They said what!? The fighter reactions to UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold on Twitter

All the best, worst, and most public UFC fighter reactions to the Lyoto Machida vs. Luke Rockhold fight card in Newark, New Jersey. The UFC can put on some great shows when the stick to booking talen read news >>

Aljamain Sterling on UFC on FOX 15 win: Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots wars are 'just silly'

• a day ago

NEWARK, N.J. – Aljamain Sterling believes his striking skills have progressed substantially in recent years, and though he wants to show them off, he’s not exactly anxious for all-out slugfests.Filed read news >>