edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Josh Barnett beats Roy Nelson via decision in back-and-forth slugfest (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Barnett was impressive in his return to Japan, pummeling 'Big Country' in a thriller. read news >>

5 Rounds with Jonathan Snowden: The Best and Worst of Bellator Dynamite 1

Bellator President Scott Coker may be facing potentially insurmountable odds in his battle with the UFC—but he's not willing to go down without a fight. Coker is pulling out every promotional trick i read news >>

UFC and Bellator fighters react to Fedor signing and Dynamite on Twitter

All the best, worst and most public thoughts from all your favorite fighters around the MMA world as they watch Bellator 142: Dynamite from the sidelines. It was hardly a thrill a minute, but it was read news >>

Tweets of the Day: De La Hoya trashes Floyd Mayweather, 'worst boxing era'

Former champ and current promoter Oscar De La Hoya didn't have nice words to say about Floyd Mayweather. Oscar De La Hoya says he didn't watch Floyd Mayweather vs. Andre Berto, but he was very active read news >>

Mayweather Sr.: Manny Pacquiao 'can't whoop Floyd on his worst day'

The Mayweather clan has never been inclined toward humility. And Floyd Mayweather Sr. is no exception. The crew over at FightHub caught up with the elder Mayweather ahead of his son's clash with Andr read news >>

UFC 191 medical suspensions: Mir and Arlovski draw potential six-month terms

Although a slugfest never really materialized between veteran heavyweights and ex-UFC champs Frank Mir and Andrei Arlovski, their three round meeting at UFC 191 left both with right-hand injuries tha read news >>

5 Rounds with Jonathan Snowden: The Best and Worst of UFC 191

"Look at my face," flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson demanded of UFC announcer Joe Rogan after his five-round dismantling of challenger John Dodson on Saturday night at UFC 191. "I look prettier read news >>

They said what!? The fighter reactions to UFC 191: Johnson vs. Dodson on Twitter

All the best, worst, and most public reactions to UFC 191 from the fighters watching at home, on the sidelines. With UFC 191 in the books, there's plenty to talk about. Is Demetrious Johnson as fun t read news >>

UFC 191 video highlights: Watch the insane back-and-forth brawl between John Lineker vs Francisco Rivera

Slugfest! Stop everything you're doing right now. This may be the CRAZIEST :60 seconds of fighting you'll ever see. #UFC191 http://t.co/j28k6wUOzw — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) September 6, 2015 Over read news >>

UFC 191 results, highlights: John Lineker taps Francisco Rivera in first after crazy slugfest

LAS VEGAS – Those who were expecting a slugfest from John Lineker and Francisco Rivera had no reason to be disappointed, even if it was a submission that ultimately ended the bout. Filed under: News, read news >>