edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC 207 results: Alex Garcia gives Mike Pyle worst belated Christmas gift ever with 1-punch KO

LAS VEGAS – Mike Pyle tried to use his technique to contain the threat of Alex Garcia’s power. But just a momentary slip cost him his consciousness. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Tactical Guide to TJ Dillashaw versus John Lineker | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC If UFC 190 represented the worst use of Ronda Rousey, UFC 207 represents the absolute best use of the UFC’s biggest female star. UFC 190 played on Rousey’s star power read news >>

Why UFC's Elias Theodorou was encouraged by 'my worst day of work'

Ahead of their meeting at UFC Fight Night 105 next month in Halifax, Elias Theodorou believes he’ll get a big chance to check Cezar Ferreira’s chin.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight read news >>

UFC 207's Ronda Rousey: 'I hear so many of the worst things anyone could ever even imagine'

Time out of the spotlight hasn’t left former UFC champ Ronda Rousey immune from criticism. “I hear so many of the worst things anyone could ever even imagine to say about me every single day,” she sa read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I'm More Than Ready to Fight Ronda Rousey' (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes is preparing for the biggest fight of her life in her first title defense as she takes on the former champion Ronda Rousey at UFC 207. read news >>

The Question: Is Ronda Rousey's UFC 207 Media Blackout a Big Deal?

A year after being knocked out and mostly vanishing from public view, Ronda Rousey is set to reappear Friday night at UFC 207. The rest of the week, though? Well, Rousey has apparently struck a deal read news >>

UFC champion Amanda Nunes credits relationship for making her better fighter

Job-related miscommunication in her relationship is not something Amanda Nunes has to worry about as she prepares to face Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 on Friday. Nunes’ girlfriend, Nina Ansaroff, is going read news >>

Rep: Werdum accepted Dos Santos at UFC 207 'under his terms,' looks toward April title shot

Longtime manager and former WSOF executive Ali Abdelaziz said fans aren’t getting the whole story about Cain Velasquez’s withdrawal from UFC 207.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, U read news >>

Despite rumor, UFC 207 weigh-ins to proceed as usual ... and with Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey’s fight week media blackout means she won’t be at a media day promoting her comeback on Friday at UFC 207, but she’ll go before cameras when she weighs in for the pay-per-view fight on T read news >>

Relive Dominick Cruz' UFC 199 Fight Week and Win Over Urijah Faber (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dominick Cruz reviews his win over Urijah Faber at UFC 199 in Los Angeles, California. Cruz attempts to defend his belt against Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207. read news >>