edwin-figueroa-1.jpgBefore he engaged in a rock ‘em, sock ‘em slugfest with Francisco Rivera at UFC 156, Edwin Figueroa said he did the worst thing a fighter can do.

He got complacent.

Figueroa, who fought recent bantamweight title challenger Michael McDonald to a unanimous decision that earned “Fight of the Night” honors, rebounded from that UFC-debut loss with back-to-back wins over Jason Reinhardt and Alex Caceres.

But then came the fight with Rivera. Figueroa knocked him down early and had the upper hand, but Rivera stormed back in the second round and delivered Figueroa a TKO loss. The fight narrowly lost out on “Fight of the Night” honors (to the Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar headliner), and despite the defeat, Figueroa was congratulated for his work. But he didn’t want to hear the praise.

“There were a lot of things that went wrong during the last fight,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The weight cut wasn’t that good. I took a year off due to back-to-back injuries. And honestly, I just got too comfortable.

“Like they always say, I did the worst thing a fighter can do. I got too civilized and too comfortable. I kind of lost the hunger, and I could feel it. I’m not proud of it.”

Figueroa (9-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said that won’t be the case tonight when he meets Canadian 135-pounder Roland Delorme (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at UFC 161. The fight takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre and kicks off the night’s FX-televised prelims, which precede the pay-per-view main card.

After sorting through personal issues and getting his camp in order under trainer Allen Mohler, Figueroa feels reborn. Despite the competitive fight with Rivera, he said he never really felt the fire in his belly or that things were clicking.

“I honestly felt like I entered that fight going 50 percent,” he said. “I just wasn’t there. … Even after I dropped him in the first round, it took two or three seconds for it to even register.”

This time, though?

“I’ve got the hunger back,” he said. “I’ve got my edge back. So now I’m going to come back like I used to come out, like I did for the McDonald fight, the Reinhardt fight, the Caceres fight. I’m ready to go in there like a normally do.”

In past years, Figueroa may have felt he wasn’t prepared for a fight unless he pushed his body to the edge. He said overtraining was a serious issue, which simply led to injuries, frustration and a loss of motivation. He wants to stay busy and fight three of four times this year.

To do that, he’s gotten smarter in camp and learned a valuable lesson.

“Just because I’m not laying on the ground dying for air after a workout doesn’t mean I’m not training right,” he said.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Bellator 139 Main Card Finalized with Joe Schilling vs. Hisaki Kato Slugfest

The Bellator 139 main card was finalized on Monday with the addition of a middleweight slugfest between Joe Schilling and Hisaki Kato. read news >>

Arlovski vs. Browne: Video Highlights from UFC 187 Heavyweight Slugfest

Andrei Arlovski and Travis Browne had the round of the year on Saturday night and quite possibly the Fight of the Year thus far in 2015. You have to watch these highlights courtesy of Fox Sports. Ent read news >>

UFC 187 results: Travis Browne upsets Andrei Arlovski in utterly insane slugfest

LAS VEGAS – For some fights, the word “slugfest” just doesn’t cut it. In a wild brawl, Andrei Arlovski dropped Travis Browne, got dropped himself, then rallied to finish with a brutal TKO victory.Fil read news >>

UFC 187 results: Joseph Benavidez sweeps John Moraga in 'reckless,' wild slugfest

LAS VEGAS – In a fight that periodically exploded with action, Joseph Benavidez outworked John Moraga to pick up his third straight win and again claim his position as one of the best flyweights not read news >>

UFC Fight Night 67 Flashback: Carlos Condit Takes Out Martin Kampmann

Inside the Octagon, a welterweight slugfest went down between Carlos "The Natural Born Killer" Condit and Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 27. read news >>

Brad Tavares: A Hometown Hero's Worst Nightmare

He doesn’t choose where the Octagon goes, but when UFC middleweight Brad Tavares is inside it - he controls the action. “Fighting in some guy’s backyard is nothing new to me,” Tavares said. “I fought read news >>

5 Rounds with Jonathan Snowden: Best and Worst from UFC 187

UFC 187, on paper, was one of the very best combat sports cards of the year. With two title fights on top and exciting fighters sprinkled throughout, I had every hope that this event would deliver a read news >>

Signal to Noise: UFC 187's best and worst

UFC 187 had a ton of positives to offer. The card was stacked top to bottom, the main card delivered in every way, a new champion was crowned and so much more. Then again, there were some things to d read news >>

They said what!? Fighters react to UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Faber on Twitter

All the best, worst, and most public thoughts on the UFC's first trip to Manila from the fighters watching the action on Twitter. The UFC's first trip to the Philippines is in the book, and generally read news >>

They said what!? Fighter reactions to UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt on Twitter

All the best, worst, and most public thoughts of the UFC fighters watching Fight Night Adelaide and talking about it on Twitter. UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt was mostly a really great card. Ten f read news >>