Heavyweight prospect Stipe Miocic earned the biggest victory of his career on Saturday night, when the 30-year-old battered Roy Nelson in the co-main event of UFC 161.

Miocic controlled the bout from its opening minutes, using fleet footwork and accurate combinations to sting his opponent while avoiding retaliatory fire. Nelson, meanwhile, appeared to fatigue rapidly, chasing Miocic around the cage to little avail.

“I caught him a few times. I think I wobbled him in the beginning, and I knew I belonged here,” Miocic told Fox Sports after his victory at MTS Centre in Winnipeg. “He caught me with one good punch, but I felt fine. I knew exactly what was going on, so i just spun around and was good to go.”

Miocic truly found his rhythm in round two, firing flurries that continually snapped Nelson’s head back. Nevertheless, in spite of the great punishment doled out by his opponent, the ever-durable “Big Country” continued to plod forward in search of a home run shot as Miocic tightened his attack in the third.

“I was being smart. I knew he was going to go for the kill,” said Miocic. “I was up two rounds to none, so I knew he was going to come take my head off.”

The victory returns Miocic to his winning ways after suffering the first loss of his pro career last September in a knockout defeat at the hands of lanky Dutchman Stefan Struve. Though difficult to swallow at the time, Miocic stated that the lessons learned from that setback helped him prove the bookmakers wrong and defeat the favored Nelson tonight.

“I should have been here in the first place. I had a fall last time, but it’s okay. It was a little trip. No big deal,” said Miocic. “I think everyone [changes mindset], after their first loss -- or any kind of loss. Don’t [try to] live up to the hype -- just fight.” With Miocic’s one-sided unanimous decision victory over the former IFL champion now secure, the Ohioan may soon find himself in more marquee heavyweight matchups, a prospect that suits Miocic just fine.

“I know how good I am. I know I can do [well] in this division,” Miocic said. “I believe I belong in the top 10, and I showed it tonight.”

From Around the Web

UFC 184 results: Tony Ferguson chokes out Gleison Tibau

Tony Ferguson picked up arguably the biggest win over his career with a first round submission victory over Gleison Tibau at UFC 184. A lot of times, a fighter sees a fight disappear weeks out when h read news >>

Don't Worry, Ronda Rousey Fans, She's Still a Long Way from GOAT Status

The soundtrack to Ronda Rousey’s UFC career has always been a ticking clock. Rousey is so special, her talent so glaringly cant-miss, that we’ve always known we couldn’t keep her forever. Someday, so read news >>

UFC 184 results: Ronda Rousey needs just 14 seconds to finish Cat Zingano

Cat Zingano was going to be the biggest threat Ronda Rousey has ever faced, they said. She's undefeated, she has an reservoir of willpower, and she'll push Rousey like she's never pushed before. Inst read news >>

How Ronda Rousey became the UFC's biggest star and most dominant champ (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: After submitting No. 1 contender Cat Zingano in just 14 seconds, Rousey has effectively lapped the bantamweight field. Can anyone give her a challenge? read news >>

UFC 184 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Rousey vs Zingano' last night in California

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC 184: "Rousey vs. Zingano," which took place last night (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers from the pay-pe read news >>

UFC 184: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

What else is there to say about Ronda Rousey? She is clearly in a league of her own after she took just 14 seconds to record a submission victory over Cat Zingano and defend her bantamweight title at read news >>

Tony Ferguson Wants to Pick Off Top 10 Lightweights (UFC 184 Post-Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson picked up the biggest win of his career last night, beating Gleison Tibau at UFC 184. Watch here as he talks about wanting to pick off each of the top 10 UFC lightweights, one by one. read news >>

UFC 184: Complete Results, Analysis of Ronda Rousey's Main Event Triumph

The biggest storyline to emerge from UFC 184 was Ronda Rousey's breathtaking, 14-second submission victory over Cat Zingano in the main event. Rousey once again proved she is the unquestionable, domi read news >>