Heavyweight prospect Stipe Miocic earned the biggest victory of his career on Saturday night, when the 30-year-old battered Roy Nelson in the co-main event of UFC 161.

Miocic controlled the bout from its opening minutes, using fleet footwork and accurate combinations to sting his opponent while avoiding retaliatory fire. Nelson, meanwhile, appeared to fatigue rapidly, chasing Miocic around the cage to little avail.

“I caught him a few times. I think I wobbled him in the beginning, and I knew I belonged here,” Miocic told Fox Sports after his victory at MTS Centre in Winnipeg. “He caught me with one good punch, but I felt fine. I knew exactly what was going on, so i just spun around and was good to go.”

Miocic truly found his rhythm in round two, firing flurries that continually snapped Nelson’s head back. Nevertheless, in spite of the great punishment doled out by his opponent, the ever-durable “Big Country” continued to plod forward in search of a home run shot as Miocic tightened his attack in the third.

“I was being smart. I knew he was going to go for the kill,” said Miocic. “I was up two rounds to none, so I knew he was going to come take my head off.”

The victory returns Miocic to his winning ways after suffering the first loss of his pro career last September in a knockout defeat at the hands of lanky Dutchman Stefan Struve. Though difficult to swallow at the time, Miocic stated that the lessons learned from that setback helped him prove the bookmakers wrong and defeat the favored Nelson tonight.

“I should have been here in the first place. I had a fall last time, but it’s okay. It was a little trip. No big deal,” said Miocic. “I think everyone [changes mindset], after their first loss -- or any kind of loss. Don’t [try to] live up to the hype -- just fight.” With Miocic’s one-sided unanimous decision victory over the former IFL champion now secure, the Ohioan may soon find himself in more marquee heavyweight matchups, a prospect that suits Miocic just fine.

“I know how good I am. I know I can do [well] in this division,” Miocic said. “I believe I belong in the top 10, and I showed it tonight.”

Lewis not concerned with ranks, just wants to provide for family

Derrick Lewis has the biggest fight of his career upcoming against Roy Nelson at Fight Night Las Vegas on July 7. But Lewis isn't concerned about the divisions or rankings, he just wants to provide f read news >>

Like Brock Lesnar, The Rock Once Considered a UFC Career

What if Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, one of the biggest stars in WWE history, had made the move to the UFC? read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Ranking the 200 Biggest Moments in UFC History

UFC 200 on Saturday, July 9 is poised to be a landmark fight card in several different ways. With three titles on the line, the return of Brock Lesnar and another monster pay-per-view buyrate expecte read news >>

Brock Lesnar Returns to UFC: The Defining Moments of His MMA Career to Date

Brock Lesnar is a large man, in multiple ways. Granted, none of his other largenesses happen without his physical largeness, but even so he looms over both pro wrestling and MMA as a bona fide supers read news >>

UFC 200 Media Call Replay: Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt

• a day ago

On Thursday, UFC 200's biggest hitters – Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar, and Mark Hunt – fielded questions from the media. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

• a day ago

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Kimbo Slice was MMA's supernova (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kimbo Slice became one of mixed martial arts biggest stars despite possessing only mediocre talent. read news >>