LAS VEGAS – In a meeting of recent winners of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Robert Whittaker had the Kryptonite to Colton Smith’s smothering style.

Expertly countering Smith’s charges, Whittaker bloodied and stopped him early in the third round.

The welterweight bout was part of today’s UFC 160 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to a main card on pay-per-view.

With his right fist cocked by his chin, Whittaker, who won “The Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs. U.K.,” knew exactly what the wanted to do from the outset: stop the takedown. And stop it he did for much of the first round, sneaking in quick punches as “TUF 16? winner Smith closed the distance.

Whittaker was so focused on avoiding the takedown, he several times neglected to defend himself, and Smith capitalized with a few well-timed punches. A right hand dropped Whittaker, setting up a near-submission at the end of the first frame.

Smith immediately fought for the takedown early in the second and paid for it when Whittaker landed a left hand that wobbled him. He repaid the favor on several occasions, however, when Whittaker again left himself exposed to lead right hands. But despite a near-completed takedown midway through the frame, Whittaker continued to have success counter-striking. By the end of the frame, Smith’s face showed the bloody results of Whittaker’s punches.

Whittaker’s strategy won him the fight early in the third as Smith charged and caught a left hook to the jaw that prompted referee Chris Tognoni to intervene at the 0:41 mark of the third.

“I was hitting him a lot, so I’m thankful they stopped it when they did,” Whittaker said. “The referee is there to prevent injuries, and that’s exactly what he did. He clipped me good and shocked me a little, but I got my defenses up. I considered it good shot and I just tried to give him 10 back for every one that he gave me.”

“Robert Whittaker and I were throwing down in there for the fans,” Smith said. “I’ve been called a boring fighter in the past, and I really wanted to go in there and throw this time. We both knocked each other down. I was coherent when he dropped me and I could’ve gone five more rounds if needed. I’d love to have that third round back, but you don’t get second chances in the octagon. Even though I disagree with the referee’s decision, I respect how difficult their job is and I understand why they make the choices they make.”

Whittaker (11-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) begins his post-reality show career on a high note while Smith (3-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) suffers the second loss of his short pro career.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 160 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Matt Erickson contributed to this report on-site in Las Vegas.

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 8) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., June 10, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, featuring episode eight of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) ag read news >>

On mend from 11th surgery, 'TUF 11' winner Court McGee hopes to return this year

Since Court McGee won “The Ultimate Fighter 11,” he’s had more surgeries than fights – 11 to be exact.Filed under: Featured Videos, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 8

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 8

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s eighth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC will return to Mexico for TUF Latin America Finale in November

Mexico will get two UFC events in 2015. The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 2 Finale is set for Nov. 21 in Monterrey, UFC president Dana White confirmed at the UFC 188 post-fight press conference Satu read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 9) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., June 17, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, featuring episode nine of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) aga read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 9

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 9 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 9

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s ninth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Jessica Penne Scrum: 'I would never participate' in The Ultimate Fighter again

The TUF 20 alumni explains, why she is happy that The Ultimate Fighter is over, in this full UFC Berlin media scrum. This Saturday at UFC Berlin, Jessice Penne, a former Invicta FC champion, will cha read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 10) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., June 24, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, featuring episode 10 of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) again read news >>