LAS VEGAS – In a meeting of recent winners of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Robert Whittaker had the Kryptonite to Colton Smith’s smothering style.

Expertly countering Smith’s charges, Whittaker bloodied and stopped him early in the third round.

The welterweight bout was part of today’s UFC 160 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to a main card on pay-per-view.

With his right fist cocked by his chin, Whittaker, who won “The Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs. U.K.,” knew exactly what the wanted to do from the outset: stop the takedown. And stop it he did for much of the first round, sneaking in quick punches as “TUF 16? winner Smith closed the distance.

Whittaker was so focused on avoiding the takedown, he several times neglected to defend himself, and Smith capitalized with a few well-timed punches. A right hand dropped Whittaker, setting up a near-submission at the end of the first frame.

Smith immediately fought for the takedown early in the second and paid for it when Whittaker landed a left hand that wobbled him. He repaid the favor on several occasions, however, when Whittaker again left himself exposed to lead right hands. But despite a near-completed takedown midway through the frame, Whittaker continued to have success counter-striking. By the end of the frame, Smith’s face showed the bloody results of Whittaker’s punches.

Whittaker’s strategy won him the fight early in the third as Smith charged and caught a left hook to the jaw that prompted referee Chris Tognoni to intervene at the 0:41 mark of the third.

“I was hitting him a lot, so I’m thankful they stopped it when they did,” Whittaker said. “The referee is there to prevent injuries, and that’s exactly what he did. He clipped me good and shocked me a little, but I got my defenses up. I considered it good shot and I just tried to give him 10 back for every one that he gave me.”

“Robert Whittaker and I were throwing down in there for the fans,” Smith said. “I’ve been called a boring fighter in the past, and I really wanted to go in there and throw this time. We both knocked each other down. I was coherent when he dropped me and I could’ve gone five more rounds if needed. I’d love to have that third round back, but you don’t get second chances in the octagon. Even though I disagree with the referee’s decision, I respect how difficult their job is and I understand why they make the choices they make.”

Whittaker (11-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) begins his post-reality show career on a high note while Smith (3-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) suffers the second loss of his short pro career.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 160 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Matt Erickson contributed to this report on-site in Las Vegas.

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 11

Tonight, live coverage of episode 11 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. Tonight, episode ten of read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 11

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s 11th episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sunday's TUF 21 Finale card complete with Hassan-Usman, Graves-Luque

The final episode of “The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians” aired tonight. With that, the lineup is set for Sunday’s TUF 21 Finale in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Hayder Hassan vs. Kamaru Usman booked for TUF 21 Finale on July 12

Season 21 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) has officially wrapped (recap here), and American Top Team (ATT) will send breakout star Hayder Hassan into the live finale against Blackzilians top pick Kamar read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 12 Recap and Results

The final episode of The Ultimate Fighter 21 means the final 100 points are up for grabs. That's right, winner takes all in the final fight for gym pride between the Blackzilians and American Top Tea read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 12

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s final episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 Finale pre-fight facts: Ellenberger efficient with takedown attacks and defense

Another season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series comes to a conclusion on Sunday when The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. Check out some pre-fight read news >>

TUF 21 Finale live results stream

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will crown a new welterweight champion of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), as season 21 ends with a bang at the live finale this Sunday night (July 12, 2015) from insi read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale live results, play-by-play, and analysis

Bloody Elbow has live results and coverage of the TUF 21 Finale on Sunday, July 12th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Jake Ellenberger and Stephen Thompson are in the main event in a five-round read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale fight card

Check out this Sunday's TUF 21 Finale fight card bout order, which features a main event between Jake Ellenberger and Stephen Thompson. It's a double fight week for the UFC, and the second of the two read news >>