Cain Velasquez will defend his UFC heavyweight title against Antonio Silva in the main event of UFC 160, while Alistair Overeem will take on Junior dos Santos in the May 25 co-headliner from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The bookings were announced during Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV. No other contests have been revealed for the pay-per-view event.

Velasquez’s showdown with Silva will serve as a rematch of their one-sided UFC 146 showdown, in which Velasquez grounded and gashed Silva with devastating ground-and-pound en route to a first-round technical knockout. Velasquez returned to the cage in December, avenging his 2011 loss to dos Santos and recapturing his heavyweight title in a dominant five-round performance at UFC 155.

Three years older than the champion, Silva has posted back-to-back victories since his loss to Velasquez, finishing the previously unbeaten Travis Browne in October before defying bookmakers in his Feb. 2 showdown with Overeem. “Pezao” scored a third-round knockout in that UFC 156 collision, stopping a fatigued “Demolition Man” with a ferocious volley of punches just 25 seconds into the final frame.

That defeat marked the first in-cage setback for Overeem since 2007, when he was knocked out by Sergei Kharitonov. The former Strikeforce champion made his UFC debut with a first-round finish of former champion Brock Lesnar to close out 2011 but later failed a drug test ahead of a planned title shot against dos Santos at UFC 146. The results of that random test, which showed Overeem had elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels, prompted the Nevada Athletic Commission to suspend the heavyweight for nine months.

Dos Santos’ defeat to Velasquez in their rematch snapped a 10-fight winning streak for “Cigano,” during which the hard-hitting Brazilian bested the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Shane Carwin and Frank Mir. Known for his sharp boxing and powerful right hand, dos Santos owns 11 of his 15 victories by form of knockout and has gone the distance just thrice in his six years as a pro.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Cain Velasquez Says He Was Ready for UFC 207, Disagrees with Decision to Cancel

  • 22 days ago
  • 11 views

Former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, whose rematch with Fabricio Werdum at Friday's UFC 207 was canceled under some strange circumstances, released a statement on Wednesday offering his side o read news >>

Cain Velasquez Details UFC 207 Removal, Declares His Readiness to Fight | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 22 views

After the Nevada Athletic Commission pulled Cain Velasquez from his UFC 207 bout with Fabricio Werdum, the former champion issued a lengthy statement. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum posts text messages to Dana White offering to fight at UFC 207 for $500,000

  • 22 days ago
  • 152 views

When Cain Velasquez was forced out of his bout with Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207, the pay-per-view main card lost a strong heavyweight fight. Werdum was almost able to stay on the card and face a late- read news >>

Joe Rogan Lists Cain Velasquez' Top 8 Moments (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 29 days ago
  • 50 views

Joe Rogan counts down the Ultimate 8 performances from former heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez before he battles Fabricio Verdum a second time at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Head-to-Toe Breakdown

  • 27 days ago
  • 19 views

Back in June of 2015, Fabricio Werdum squared off against Cain Velasquez in Mexico City for the undisputed heavyweight title. Now the pair are set to square off again, this time as part of the UFC 20 read news >>

No, Cain Velasquez is Not Out of His UFC 207 Fight with Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 153 views

Despite a report that Cain Velasquez was out of his scheduled UFC 207 bout with Fabricio Werdum, he said he is "in shape and ready to go." read news >>

Video: With their UFC 207 rematch scratched, watch the first Cain Velasquez-Fabricio Werdum fight instead

  • 25 days ago
  • 25 views

Two former heavyweight champions were set to rematch next week at UFC 207, though no belts were on the line. However, prior to that second fight, Cain Velasquez was ruled ineligible to face Fabricio read news >>

With Cain Velasquez Out, Fabricio Werdum Wants Championship Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 20 views

With his planned UFC 207 bout with Cain Velasquez canceled, Fabricio Werdum quickly shifted his focus to a rematch with heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic. read news >>

Cain Velasquez out of UFC 207 bout with Fabrico Werdum

  • 26 days ago
  • 93 views

In a story that feels all too familiar to the career narrative of Cain Velasquez, the former heavyweight champion has been forced out of a fight due to physical issues.Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cain Velasquez being pulled from UFC 207, including a replacement offer

  • 26 days ago
  • 270 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been forced out of yet another fight. This time it’s his UFC 207 rematch with Fabricio Werdum that’s been scrapped. Just one week before the Dec. 30 read news >>