sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

'UFC 190: Thrill and Agony' video: A 34-second victory? 'That's too long,' Ronda Rousey

Talk about a tough crowd. Watch the recently released “UFC 190: Thrill and Agony,” which takes fans behind the scenes of major UFC events, and you’ll see that Ronda Rousey’s toughest critics might be read news >>

Ilima Macfarlane Moves Past 'Soccer Mom' Viral Video with New Bellator Contract

The crazy part about the way it all ended up going down is that Ilima Macfarlane just wanted a fight. She'd fought six times as an amateur. At Team Hurricane Awesome, Macfarlane's San Diego-based gym read news >>

Why UFC champ Ronda Rousey left her belt in Brazil after UFC 190

Following a victory at this past weekend’s massive UFC 190 event, women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has left her belt in Brazil – but for a good reason.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov seemed to predict WSOF 22 brawl with 'bullsh-t guy' Nate Diaz

A wild cageside brawl marred this past weekend’s WSOF 22 event. One of its participants, Khabib Nurmagomedov, seemed to predict it could happen.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Diaz Brothers Banned After Fight with Nurmagomedov in the Crowd at WSOF 22

The main event wasn't the only controversy at WSOF 22 on Saturday, as the Diaz brothers got into a physical altercation with Khabib Nurmagomedov in the crowd. read news >>

VIDEO: Diaz Brothers and Nurmagomedov Camp Brawl in WSOF Crowd

Check out video footage of Saturday night's WSOF melee between Nate and Nick Diaz and Khabib Nurmagomedov and his camp. read news >>

Rousey vs. Correia Results: Highlights and Reaction from UFC 190

There is a common theme in all of Ronda Rousey's fights. Every time she steps into the Octagon, she does so with bad intentions and then ends matters quickly. Very quickly. That's what happened Satur read news >>

Rousey vs. Correia Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 190

Ronda Rousey's legend as the most dominant force in MMA continued with a first-round TKO win over Bethe Correia in the main event of UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. MMAjunkie tweeted out the light read news >>

UFC 190 6th Round post-fight show

Kid Nate + Zane Simon give you the immediate reaction to UFC 190 featuring Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia. read news >>

Shogun Rua vs. Antonio Nogueira: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from UFC 190

In a battle of aging veterans it was Mauricio "Shogun" Rua who was able to score a unanimous decision win over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the co-main event at UFC 190. MMAjunkie tweeted the official read news >>