sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told ( “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Cris Cyborg vs. Lina Lansberg Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 95

Cris Cyborg is a legitimate draw in MMA. She proved that at UFC 198 and, while the company has done everything in its power to pit fans against her, the UFC has never been above grabbing some easy mo read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 medical suspensions: Erick Silva, Luan Chagas given 180-day sits

Seven fighters from this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 95 event were issued lengthy medical suspensions, and two could be out of action for up to six months.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

Conor McGregor’s next fight will come against Eddie Alvarez on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York as part of UFC 205. UFC president Dana White confirmed the match will occur on Tuesday duri read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Some random guy in the crowd at the UFC 205 presser stole the show

This was easily the funniest question asked at Tuesday’s presser. read news >>

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next |

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

Will Brooks' Tough Chicago Upbringing Built a Champion (video) |

Fast rising lightweight Will Brooks journeys to Chicago to revisit his harrowing past where he battled his family’s struggles and homelessness. read news >>

UFC fighter Josh Samman in coma

A reaction of shock and sadness has spread among friends and across social media with the news “The Ultimate Fighter 17” cast member and UFC veteran Josh Samman of Tallahassee was found unresponsive read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's Alex Oliveira not sorry about taunting Will Brooks

PORTLAND, Ore. – Alex Oliveira may have apologized to the crowd for missing weight, but he has no regrets about mocking Will Brooks after the FS1 co-headliner of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 96.Filed u read news >>