sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC 200 Video: Jon Jones Plans to Fight ‘A Hell of A Lot More Often’

A more mature Jon Jones has emerged from a troubled past and wants to be more of a company man. He also plans to fight "a hell of a lot more often." read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

Derrick Lewis defeated Roy Nelson by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at UFC Fight Night 90. It was a clash of styles, and the Las Vegas crowd was not a fan of the scorecards that were read. We w read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Eddie Alvarez Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

The stakes were incredibly high in the UFC Fight Night 90 main event between Rafael dos Anjos and Eddie Alvarez. It was a main event during a blockbuster week of fights, one of the first titles conte read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Trades Past Troubles for UFC Gold, Possible Bout with McGregor

It was over three years ago when Eddie Alvarez’s career was stuck in limbo. Embroiled in dueling lawsuits with his then-promoter Bellator, Alvarez’s biggest fights took place in courtrooms, where he read news >>

Jon Jones' B Sample Tests Positive: Latest Comments, Reaction

The sports world was rocked Wednesday when the UFC pulled Jon Jones off Saturday's UFC 200 card for a potential doping violation. On Friday, the United States Anti-Doping Agency confirmed to ESPN's B read news >>

Jedrzejczyk vs. Gadelha Results: Winner and Reaction from the TUF23 Finale

Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha are two sides of the same coin. The UFC's yin and yang. MMA's Batman and Joker. They're the clear-cut No. 1 and No. 2 in their division, and only one can stop t read news >>

Cat Zingano Could Have Quit Fighting, but Didn’t Want to be a Product of Circumstance (UFC 200 Video)

The past couple of years have been rough for UFC bantamweight contender Cat Zingano, but as a proud mom, she refused to give up. read news >>

Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

For as long as it lasted, Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon was everything we thought it would be at UFC 200 on Saturday. Sanchez came right out to the center of the Octagon as always. He pressured Lauzon read news >>

Gegard Mousasi vs. Thiago Santos Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Gegard Mousasi, the indie darling. The successor to Fedor Emelianenko. The former Strikeforce champion. The longtime toast of the Japanese scene has largely struggled in the UFC to this point. There read news >>