sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told ( “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

'Huh?!' Watch Floyd Mayweather's reaction to Nick Diaz's 5-year suspension

Watch how Floyd Mayweather reacted after finding out about Nick Diaz and his ridiculous 5-year suspension. For some reason, Jeff Mayweather was at the Mayweather Boxing Club asking people for reactio read news >>

Video: Watch Roy Nelson destroy Cheick Kongo in UFC 159 bonus-winning KO

Before his current rough run, Nelson had a pretty perfect set of three wins in a row – all by first-round knockout. Check out his starching of Cheick Kongo inside. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rousey 'not surprised' she surpassed Floyd Mayweather in PPV buys

TMZ catch Ronda Rousey's reaction to Floyd Mayweather's low pay-per-view buys for the Andre Berto fight. Floyd Mayweather, hailed as boxing's biggest star and the richest athlete in the world, drew u read news >>

Dana White reacts to third offense for Nick Diaz, will wait to 'figure out all the facts first'

The past week has been a non-stop binge of stories about the five-year suspension handed down to UFC Welterweight Nick Diaz by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) and the various reaction by fans read news >>

Bellator 142 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from McGeary vs. Ortiz

Bellator MMA and Glory Kickboxing teamed up to deliver the first of what promises to be a series of super combat sports shows on Saturday night in San Jose, California. It was called Bellator Dynamit read news >>

Glory Kickboxing 24 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from San Jose

Glory and Bellator banded together for a combat sports extravaganza called Bellator Dynamite 1 on Saturday night in San Jose, California. There were three Glory fights on the card highlighted by a bo read news >>

Liam McGeary vs. Tito Ortiz: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from Bellator 142

Liam McGeary successfully legitimized his reign as Bellator light heavyweight champion with a first-round submission win over Tito Ortiz in the main event of Bellator: Dynamite at the SAP Center in S read news >>

Paige VanZant, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Paige VanZant, the 21-year-old rising mixed martial arts star, already has three fights under the UFC banner and will have more in the future after agreeing to a new contract with the promotion. VanZ read news >>

Emanuel Newton on lack of training in past: 'I thought the universe had my back'

SAN JOSE -- Former Bellator light heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton talks about facing Phil Davis at Bellator 142: Dynamite's one-night, four-man tournament, how he prepared for two fights in one n read news >>

Nick Diaz Suspended 5 Years for Failed Drug Tests: Latest Details and Reaction

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has been fined $165,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because of multiple failed drug tests. USA Today's John Morgan reported the news Mon read news >>