sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Announced: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Rafael Dos Anjos will face Tony Ferguson in a five-round lightweight clash in the headline bout of the UFC's event at Mexico City's Arena Ciudad de Mexico on Saturday, November 5. UFC Europe relayed read news >>

Yair Rodriguez vs. Alex Caceres: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 92

Salt Lake City was treated to a special featherweight showcase for the UFC Fight Night 92 main event. Rising star Yair Rodriguez (8-1) defeated Alex Caceres (12-9, 1 NC) by split decision (46-49, 48- read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

Ricardo Lamas vs. BJ Penn Announced for UFC Manila: Latest Details and Reaction

Ricardo Lamas will face BJ Penn in UFC Manila's headline fight, the UFC announced on Monday. UFC Asia tweeted the news: The featherweights will step into the Octagon on Saturday, October 15. More to read news >>

UFC 202 McGregor vs. Diaz: Early Weigh-In Results and Reaction

As is the new normal with the UFC, the actual weigh-ins for UFC 202 took place early on Friday. The staredowns and show will unfold later in the evening. This process gives the fighters crucial extra read news >>

Dan Henderson to Retire After UFC 204: Latest Comments and Reaction

UFC's Dan Henderson announced Friday that his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on Oct. 8 will be the final one of his career, via ESPN.com's Arash Markazi. Henderson is 32-14 in his career an read news >>

Lorenz Larkin vs. Neil Magny Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In the final UFC 202 Fight Pass prelim, unranked welterweight Lorenz Larkin picked #7 ranked Neil Magny apart and forced a TKO stoppage in the first round. Vicious kicks to Magny's left knee stopped read news >>

Cody Garbrandt vs. Takeya Mizugaki Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

It didn’t take long, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to deny Cody Garbrandt of a UFC title shot at 135 pounds. Garbrandt (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) took the center of the cage right away during UF read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

Donald Cerrone is starting to gain steam as a welterweight. The longtime lightweight contender picked up his third consecutive victory in the 170-pound division with a second-round technical knockout read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>