sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Mendes vs. McGregor: Results, Highlights and Reaction from UFC 189

Conor McGregor is the king of the UFC's featherweight division, at least temporarily after he won the interim title from Chad Mendes in the main event of Saturday night's UFC 189 fight card in Las Ve read news >>

UFC 189 results: Conor McGregor rallies past Chad Mendes, claims interim title

The one big question which lingered throughout Conor McGregor's meteoric rise through the UFC featherweight ranks was how he'd fare when he squared off with an elite wrestler. Saturday night, he was read news >>

Mendes vs. McGregor Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 189

Conor McGregor told anyone who would listen that he was going to beat Chad "Money" Mendes. In the main event at UFC 189 Saturday night, he backed up the talk with a second-round TKO win over Mendes i read news >>

Lawler vs. MacDonald 2: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 189

Robbie Lawler took on Rory MacDonald for the second time in his career at UFC 189, and it ended the same way—with the Ruthless One getting his hand raised in victory. The 33-year-old successfully def read news >>

'That's impending doom': UFC fighters react to IV rehydration ban

“I’ve used IVs in the past.” This was the prevailing response when MMAjunkie spoke to UFC fighters about the new ban on the use of IVs to rehydrate after cutting weight.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Cyborg vs. Van Duin: Winner, Recap and Reaction from Invicta FC 13

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino is simply one of the most dominant forces in Women's MMA. She used Faith Van Duin to make her point clear in the main event at Invicta 13, defending her featherweight title read news >>

Dennis Bermudez: Jeremy Stephens has looked like 'he's going to die' during past 145 weight cuts

LAS VEGAS -- Dennis Bermudez discusses his long layoff, getting over his loss to Ricardo Lamas, his UFC 189 opponent Jeremy Stephens, the Conor McGregor show, why Costas Philippou retired, and more. read news >>

Costas Philippou Tells UFC He’s Retired

Facing an uphill battle the past couple of years, UFC middleweight Costas Philippou has decided to hang up the gloves. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio on holiday today, but download star-studded past episodes now

As a reminder, MMAjunkie Radio is off today for the Independence Day holiday. But now is the perfect time to catch up on our recent star-studded episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

MMA community reacts to new UFC-Reebok 'Fight Kit' uniforms

And the reaction was pretty much what you expected. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a special media press conference earlier today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City to unveil its long read news >>