sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2319 with Phil Davis, Justin Scoggins and Sara McMann

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Phil Davis, Justin Scoggins and Sara McMann.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 98 results: Enrique Barzola uses takedowns to cruise past Chris Avila

MEXICO CITY – Enrique Barzola reportedly spent eight weeks at altitude getting ready for Diaz protege Chris Avila, and his preparation showed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 96

The biggest prize in MMA today is a fight with Conor McGregor. Fans and fighters may not like it, but it's an indisputable fact at this point. Whether it's Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo or Nate Diaz, facing read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Michael Johnson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Khabib Nurmagomedov had everything on the line at Saturday's UFC 205. Dominance and bad luck have defined the Russian grappler's career. Catastrophic injuries have consistently weighed down big wins, read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Yoel Romero's crowd-silencing TKO of New York's Chris Weidman at UFC 205

Yoel Romero turned Chris Weidman’s dream of fighting in his home state into a nightmare when he defeated the former UFC champion on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New York C read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

It has been a roller coaster of a year for Miesha Tate. She bought her 2016 calendar with UFC President Dana White actively encouraging her to retire. She surprisingly received a title shot a few mon read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz Results: UFC 205 Winner, Reaction

Joanna Jedrzejczyk can't be stopped. Following three consecutive strawweight title defenses, the 29-year-old defeated Polish compatriot Karolina Kowalkiewicz by unanimous decision Saturday night at U read news >>