sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told ( “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC 193: Albuquerque Reacts to Holly Holm's KO of Ronda Rousey

If you thought the crowd reaction was amazing when Holly Holm lambasted Ronda Rousey at UFC 193 you haven't seen anything yet. Holm's hometown fans exploded in cheers when they saw Holm dropped the s read news >>

UFC 193: Albuquerque Reacts to Holly Holm's KO of Ronda Rousey

Glory Kickboxing 25 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Milan

In my Kanye West voice: Robin van Roosmalen is a good fighter, but Sittichai Sitsongpeenong deserved to win the Glory lightweight title Friday in Milan. I hate to bring up old pop-culture events, but read news >>

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announces retirement

Out of action for the past two-and-a-half years, Alan Belcher today made it official: He’s officially retired.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Nov. 3: Big weekend for ranked fighters

Although this past weekend featured a few regional shows, they made no impact in the latest NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings. That won’t be the case this coming weekend, though.Filed under: Bellator, MM read news >>

In Belfort vs. Henderson trilogy, a snapshot of MMA's past and future with PEDs

If all goes well at UFC Fight Night 77, Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson will fight for the third time in nine years – and maybe this time, if we’re lucky, neither of them will be on performance-enhan read news >>

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Daniel Cormier, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) signed an eight-fight contract with the organization Monday. According to Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie, Cormier met with the UFC and read news >>

Daniel Cormier signs eight-fight UFC deal, undecided on New York defense vs. Jones

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier met this past week with the UFC to discuss his future with the promotion and emerged with a new eight-fight contract that’s made him “very, very happy.”F read news >>

Blast From the Past: Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort Pride 32 Free Fight Video

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort met for the first time at PRIDE 32: The Real Deal. Relive their epic match-up to get ready for their grudge match at Fight Night 77. read news >>