sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Dec. 20: Wineland back to winning ways

This past weekend saw both UFC and Bellator host prospect-filled events, but one wily veteran was impressive enough to make a move in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings.Filed under: Bellator read news >>

UFC 207's Neil Magny says past mistakes have him prepared for ex-champ Johny Hendricks

DENVER – Neil Magny has been in a position to need to rebound before, and he came through with flying colors. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Return Drives Record Crowd to UFC 207 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

After more than a year outside of the cage, Ronda Rousey's return drove UFC 207 to a record sellout crowd at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

Is Ronda Rousey Broken or Ready to Roar Back? Her Past May Offer Some Clues

The kick the UFC doesn't want you to see landed squarely on the neck, immaculately timed and perfectly placed. The result was instantaneous—the complete removal of UFC champion Ronda Rousey's motor s read news >>

UFC 207 results: Crowd doesn't like it, but Neil Magny survives takedowns to top Johny Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Johny Hendricks might have won in the wrestling department, but Magny’s work off his back won the fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TJ Dillashaw vs. John Lineker Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 207

In another time, another life, UFC 207's TJ Dillashaw and John Lineker would've already had a title shot off their current runs. As bantamweight champion, Dillashaw began sniffing around the No. 1 po read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

Hoping setbacks in past, UFC 209's Todd Duffee doesn't feel like a 31-year-old heavyweight

Being a fighter hasn’t always been the easiest road for Todd Duffee. Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Yair Rodriguez vs. B.J. Penn Results: Winner, Reaction from UFC Fight Night 103

“The Prodigy” never had a shot. Yair Rodriguez entered as one of the shining future stars for the UFC, and he performed up to that billing. B.J. Penn was ousted without much trouble. Rodriguez’s spee read news >>

BJ Penn Was Embarrassed by Past Performances (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

It's been a long time since UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has been in the Octagon, but it's been even longer since he scored a victory in the Octagon. read news >>