sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Miesha Tate's first title defense won't come against Holly Holm. It won't come against Ronda Rousey. Instead, the UFC women's bantamweight champion will take on fourth-ranked competitor Amanda Nunes read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Jan Blachowicz putting past behind, seeks reinvention following consecutive defeats

ZAGREB, Croatia – Sure, the past 12 months have been largely forgettable for Jan Blachowicz, but the Polish light heavyweight insists he’s taken steps to change all that.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Gets New UFC on FOX 19 Opponent

Khabib Nurmagomedov's spot on UFC on FOX 19 was thrown into doubt over the past 48 hours, but he received a new opponent on Thursday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 staff picks: 'Big Ben' gets nod over Dos Santos

Like his past three bouts, Ben Rothwell is again the underdog at the sports books, but when it comes to MMAjunkie’s staff picks for UFC Fight Night 86, he’s the overwhelming favorite over Junior Dos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 results: Crowd unsure, but Bojan Velickovic tops Alessio Di Chirico

ZAGREB, Croatia – Alessio Di Chirico and Bojan Velickovic fought with the urgency of UFC newcomers trying to make a good impression, keeping a high pace over three rounds.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 results: Timothy Johnson holds on to get past newcomer Marcin Tybura

ZAGREB, Croatia – By the third round of his fight with UFC newcomer Marcin Tybura, Timothy Johnson was in bad shape, nursing an injured arm and a bad eye injury.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86: Rothwell vs. dos Santos Draws Sellout Crowd to Zagreb Arena

UFC Fight Night 86: Rothwell vs. dos Santos gate and attendance numbers from Zagreb, Croatia. read news >>

BJ Penn V Dennis Siver Announced for UFC 199: Latest Comments, Details, Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn will reportedly make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 199 on June 4, where he'll face featherweight Dennis Siver. That's according to MMAjunkie, while Kevin I read news >>

Dan Henderson Ignores Own Past in Criticizing Lyoto Machida's PED Admission

This Saturday's UFC on Fox 19 card suffered a late blow on Wednesday when Lyoto Machida declared the use of a banned substance, resulting in the cancellation of his co-main event bout with Dan Hender read news >>