sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Phil Davis Has to Get Past King Mo First, but His Eyes are on the Bellator Belt

Phil Davis has a tough fight in King Mo Lawal ahead of him at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but he can't help but shift his eyes towards the Bellator belt. read news >>

Record-Setting Crowd Expected to Attended UFC 198 Weigh-In in Brazil

UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic sold out in a single day. The official weigh-in is expected to set the combat sports record for attendance at a weigh-in. read news >>

VIDEO: Matt Brown Turns His Back and Flips Off Brazilian Crowd at UFC 198 Weigh-In

Welterweight contender Matt Brown turned his back to the Brazilian crowd at the UFC 198 weigh-in on Friday, and flipped off those in attendance. read news >>

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Brutalizes Patrick Cummins in 1st Round at UFC 198

A raucous Curitiba crowd had plenty to cheer about when Antonio Rogerio Nogueira clobbered Patrick Cummins in the first round. Nogueira picked up his first win since 2013 with his first-round TKO sho read news >>

Shogun Rua vs. Corey Anderson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua turned back the clock at UFC 198 and picked up a split-decision win against Corey Anderson on the main card in Curitiba, Brazil, on Saturday. MMAjunkie tweeted out the scorecard read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino finally made her UFC debut, and while it wasn't against the opponent everyone once expected, she delivered a predictable result. Cyborg defeated Leslie Smith via first-roun read news >>

Ronaldo Souza vs. Vitor Belfort Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza put himself back into title contention at UFC 198 with a first-round technical-knockout win over Vitor Belfort in the co-main event in Brazil on Saturday. MMAFighting.com provi read news >>

Werdum vs. Miocic Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Stipe Miocic was an underdog in just about every way possible at UFC 198, but he won the UFC Heavyweight Championship via first-round knockout over Fabricio Werdum in the main event Saturday. Kevin I read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>